E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New turbos, adaptations?

02-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

New turbos, adaptations?

I've been running for around 8 months with failing wastegates, I'm talking rattle on / off boost and idle. Tbh they were completely f@"ked!!

So essentially the car had been running for some time with a continuous boost leak as the wastegates were almost never closed so I'd expect that the DME would have adjusted over time to compensate unusual levels of air fuel to try to trim things out?

Problem I have it that I've had new OEM turbos fitted today and whilst the rattle has gone the car just doesn't seem to be running right, just feels like the DME still thinks its dealing with a boost leak that isn't there anymore so the fuel / air mix is possibly off kilter.

I have a BT cable and would appreciate some advice of which specific adaptations to reset apart from the obvious air / fuel?

Maybe worth doing a full ECU reset?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
quasitime
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT

Are you sure it's the turbos? I've had to replace numerous vacuum lines over the past couple of weeks hunting down boost leaks.

But yeah, subscribed. I have new turbos also and didn't know adaptations need to be reset....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

I like to reset DME adaptations whenever I do a major engine repair, but I don't think it's necessarily required when installing new turbos. If you have the means, I'd do it.

I'd be more worried about the downpipe V-band clamps being clocked properly (to avoid binding the wastegate arm during operation), or any vacuum connections or lines being loose/damaged. I'd think most of these issues would set a 30FF fault, but I'm not sure on a modified car.
      02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasitime
Are you sure it's the turbos? I've had to replace numerous vacuum lines over the past couple of weeks hunting down boost leaks.

But yeah, subscribed. I have new turbos also and didn't know adaptations need to be reset....
All vac lines replaced, new wastegates functioning properly.

Just feel like the car needs to be told that its has new turbos n no longer needs to compensate for the boost leak. As it is it just feels off, not in harmony!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D.
I like to reset DME adaptations whenever I do a major engine repair, but I don't think it's necessarily required when installing new turbos. If you have the means, I'd do it.

I'd be more worried about the downpipe V-band clamps being clocked properly (to avoid binding the wastegate arm during operation), or any vacuum connections or lines being loose/damaged. I'd think most of these issues would set a 30FF fault, but I'm not sure on a modified car.
As mentioned I've had vac lines replaced and would defo get a code if the clamps we're causing an obstruction.

I've go a BT cable and its showing no codes or shadow codes.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

The Dme will adapt pretty quick to a change like that. Basically, before, it was increasing DC to compensate. when you put in the new turbos, it notices that it's actual load is over the requested due to turbos overboosting and will quickly compensate.
don't confuse boost leak with weak turbos/wastegates that can;t boost.

run in 3rd from low rpms to redline, that would definitely trigger a code if you are really leaking boost.

You can also log with the BT tool and check that everything is running right.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85
The Dme will adapt pretty quick to a change like that. Basically, before, it was increasing DC to compensate. when you put in the new turbos, it notices that it's actual load is over the requested due to turbos overboosting and will quickly compensate.
don't confuse boost leak with weak turbos/wastegates that can;t boost.

run in 3rd from low rpms to redline, that would definitely trigger a code if you are really leaking boost.

You can also log with the BT tool and check that everything is running right.
So how long are we talking for it to fully re-adapt on its own, few days / 100 miles or so?
Appreciate 0