E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Maintenace on 2006 - 2007 BMW

09-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
e90envy
Rep
Drives: --

Brake Maintenace on 2006 - 2007 BMW

BMW Brakes
I understand that brake replacements are not covered under the BMW maintenance program. So I wanted to inquiry on the cost of actually changing the brakes. I got quoted $1000 CDN (est $900USD) to replace the brakes and rotors. Apparently on BMW's (and only BMW's I was told by the sales rep) they recommend a pad and rotor change and do not condone just a pad change. I asked why and they said "..it's a performance car it's part of the cost of owning a BMW". Lame answer.

Is this a FACT or this BS? Am I looking at spending $1000 everytime I need my brakes changed?

Can this be a DIY job? Or is it recommended to go through BMW?

Looking to get feedback, general costs, from 2006-2007 BMW Owners.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535

My wife's 2004 530 just had her front brake pads replaced by the BMW Maintenance plan. We complained that they were squeaking.

But that is in US, OP in Canada might be different.
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90envy View Post
BMW Brakes
I understand that brake replacements are not covered under the BMW maintenance program. So I wanted to inquiry on the cost of actually changing the brakes. I got quoted $1000 CDN (est $900USD) to replace the brakes and rotors. Apparently on BMW's (and only BMW's I was told by the sales rep) they recommend a pad and rotor change and do not condone just a pad change. I asked why and they said "..it's a performance car it's part of the cost of owning a BMW". Lame answer.

Is this a FACT or this BS? Am I looking at spending $1000 everytime I need my brakes changed?

Can this be a DIY job? Or is it recommended to go through BMW?

Looking to get feedback, general costs, from 2006-2007 BMW Owners.

Thoughts?
Not covered in Canada. There is no problem with just replacing the pads. Some manufacturers don't want the rotors turned, but one of the reason with going with soft pads (which BMW's are) is so that the pads wear and not the rotors. I haven't done the pads in a BMW, but I haven't come accross any cars where it wouldn't be a DIY if you are the least bit handy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
brakes are not covered in Canada.... and you can change just the pads.... i did it on my E46 and car performed fine.... didnt notice a difference
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Changing rotors with the pads is BS unless the rotors are warped or badly warn. I owned BMWs for the past 20 years and I never had any problem with the rotors.
      09-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
e90envy
Rep

Has anyone actually changed the brakes on an e90 or e92 on their own??

I believe the e90post community when people say that you don't need to change the rotors. However, this sales person was specific in saying that the new 3 series(E90) especially the 335i use newer brake system then previous generations. As a result they recommend new rotors and brake pads every time you change the brakes. And the cost is estimated at $1000 CDN.

As you can see in Canada we don't get brake replacements as part of the "maintenance package" that's why I'm asking the sales rep on costs.

Is there any shred of truth to this? It just seem odd that a sales rep from BMW is feeding me this BS.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90envy View Post
Has anyone actually changed the brakes on an e90 or e92 on their own??

I believe the e90post community when people say that you don't need to change the rotors. However, this sales person was specific in saying that the new 3 series(E90) especially the 335i use newer brake system then previous generations. As a result they recommend new rotors and brake pads every time you change the brakes. And the cost is estimated at $1000 CDN.

As you can see in Canada we don't get brake replacements as part of the "maintenance package" that's why I'm asking the sales rep on costs.

Is there any shred of truth to this? It just seem odd that a sales rep from BMW is feeding me this BS.
Changing brakes is simple and straight forward. I haven't done it on a e90+ but it is no different. If you have a jack and socket set you can do it yourself. Save yourself $700. Some might flame me but i never have and never will use OEM pads. Hawk, carbotech, ferodo, raybestos, axis, etc. all make rotor friendly pads that will make you wonder why you didn't change the OEM pads earlier. One thing you do need to get is the brake wear sensors if your light is on. They are a one time use. There are two if you are doing all 4 wheels. I think its on the front left and rear right. Just be aware of how you take them apart and you will be fine. You might need a C clamp if the pistons get pushed out.

Either the guy was trying to stiff you with rotors or he comes from the school of thought that pads and rotors wear homogeneously to the point that new pads will compromise their relationship. It is true to a point but unless you are road racing don't worry about it. If they were paying for it i would say hell yeah... But since you are paying for it... its not necessary
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #8
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I've had many BMW's over 15 years and my experiance has been that you wear out two sets of brake pads to one rotor. I've never had a rotor warp but worn down below the legal limit (legal limit thickness is written on the rotor).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
i don't know about the maintenance warranty but my friend had a z4 and he also had to change the pads and rotors together and i think he paid around $600
      09-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #10
anthony_h
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6spd

I changed the pads and rotors on my 325i myself.
I put stock rotors and performance frictions pads up front and oem pads in the rear...
I also changed the brake sensors.

It was the first time I change the brakes myself. I had help from a friend of mine that has experience in changing brakes on bmws... The process is not different than on other cars. The only issue we had was the rear rotors being stuck on the car. we had to use a lot of force to get them off.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Rep

OPPS i forgot to add. DON'T finger print your rotor! Likewise don't finger print your pads. Just wear some latex gloves or something. If you get it all oily you need to clean it. In fact just clean it anyway. Pick up some brake cleaner; its a great degreaser so you can use it for more than just brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
6Zylinder
appreciate your car
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i built 07/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
Changing rotors with the pads is BS unless the rotors are warped or badly warn. I owned BMWs for the past 20 years and I never had any problem with the rotors.
+1

And I honestly think that rep is feeding you big BS. They just want to make money... :mad:

The Ultimate Driving Machine...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
e90envy
Rep

Here is the what was said to me in an email from a sales rep

"...Most car manufacturers have brake rotors that can be machined al least
once, often twice when they need a brake job, BMW generally uses a very
thin rotor to keep weight down, but in most cases they can't be machined
so a brake service may include new rotors..."

I don't know how often that is the case.

So I get the general idea from people, that BMW brakes are not that special and the cost to replace them DIY would be the same as any other DIY with any other car brand and doing them @ BMW shop is a complete rip off just the same as any other dealership shop.

I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. It's interesting to hear what the community has to say.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
khafner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

brakes

I have changed many bmw brakes. By the time I get around to changing pads the rotors are scored by hard driving. Most rotors I have turned end up warping. I'd recommend new rotors if you have any scoring or pulsation in your pedal. Before changing the brakes I would power flush the brake system with new fluid, if done first make sure you remove fluid from the reservoir before pushing the pistons back in. If you wait and do it afterwards, when you compress the piston you may push junk back into the ABS pump which may make it non-functional (I have had them go- new 2000$). If you want to wait until afterwards open your bleeder valves before you compress the piston back into its housing. It is easy to change brakes. I tend to like more agressive brake pads which are much harder on rotors. The power bleeder from bavauto is cheap and works great. I use it professionally. You can't find another one near its price. Aluminum rims tend to fuse to the steel hub and can be a pain to get off. I am thinking of using the bavauto pads to stop this problem. The two metals with salt create an electrical current which creates havic in the northeast.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 04:20 AM   #15
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90envy
BMW shop is a complete rip off just the same as any other dealership shop.
Hit that nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khafner
Aluminum rims tend to fuse to the steel hub and can be a pain to get off. I am thinking of using the bavauto pads to stop this problem.
You need to clean your hub thoroughly and use a smidgen of high temp grease before reassembly. No need to change pads.
Appreciate 0