E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Diagnosing inop blower

06-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Diagnosing inop blower

I went to use the A/C in my '07 328i the other day only to discover the blower would not run. It was working last week when I had to defog the windshield, now nothing on any setting or level.

I checked the fuse (40 Amp, fuse #67) and it is intact, not open.
I'm trying to determine whether the problem could be with the resistor pack, control module or the motor itself. In my experience with other cars the resistor is only used for lower fan settings and bypassed on the highest setting, thus and easy diagnosis that the resistor is at fault. Wondering if that is also the case with the e90 fan ? My fan doesn't come on at any setting so I'm wondering if I can discount the resistor.

Seeking comments or suggestions before I delve into the job of pulling the fan out.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Well I thought I had read everything related to the inop blower on the forums then I came across this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466797

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman475
Hello all

I had a problem with the heater blower motor it was not working at all. I checked the fuses ,they were ok then i decided to replace it.but before you replace it please take out the micro filter from under the bonnet

Then from the passenger side duct on the right hand driven cars look at the blower motor .you will see a rusty bolt please take wd40 and a long straw and put it on top of put lot of it eg a spoon full.

Then turn your car on and make sure the blower is on from the digital controls .move the blower motor with help of a screw driver or any other object that could get into the duct .and it will start working .if your motor is not fully blown .

Good luck
I tried it during my lunch break and sure enough the blower cage was frozen (as in lightly seized). I stuck my hand in and freed it up, turned on the A/C and it blew like my first girlfriend.

A side note to the above procedure, the plastic blower cage is press fit onto the motor shaft so spraying WD-40 on the visible part of the rusty shaft is pointless since the (inaccessible) motor bushings are underneath the cage and none of it will make it's way down where it needs to be.

I realize this is a temporary fix since the seized motor shaft due to moisture ingress is a well known issue so I expect at some point to take the actual assembly out, clean & lube it or just plain replace it. Nonetheless, the above fix gets me back in action until I have the time to do it right (or it needs to be freed up again lol ).

e90post Forums rock !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Hisho335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Premium/Sport/Dinan Soft

I have a 335i 2007 E90 and the inside blower is not working, with a multimeter there is no voltage coming to the motor or resistor (tried all setting high) checked all fuses. still no voltage coming on the Motor/resistor . Climate control panel all green lights and it functions normal . That happened after changing water pump/thermostat.
any ideas
Appreciate 0