E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Question regarding car towing in Toronto

06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Treize
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
Question regarding car towing in Toronto

Hello all,

I've been meaning to ask this ever since I saw my friends car about to be towed. He was able to run out in time and had to pay close to $100 just to get it back down off the tow truck (random number the driver came up with to make quick cash).

Anyone know if there is a way to stop them from towing the car without having to pay in this particular situation? I've heard that if you get into your car they can not move and will eventually let it down to not waste time (so that they could go tow other cars).

If anyone has some experience with similar situations please share.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Did your friend also have to pay a parking ticket in that situation?

Avoiding a tow is not as simple as just "getting in the way", or sitting into your car so they can't move it and waiting until they leave lol. I think normally if your car is found to be illegally parked (by property owner or the police) Toronto Parking Enforcement is called first and they usually issue a parking ticket on behalf of whoever called them and then they may or may not call in the truck, depending on a few factors.

Last edited by Kalidian; 06-25-2013 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Treize
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
He did get a parking ticket. I'm not sure if the parking officer called the tow truck or if the tow truck just showed up on it's own (from what I heard it's a popular spot that cars are constantly getting towed from (difficult to see the sign there)).
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize View Post
He did get a parking ticket. I'm not sure if the parking officer called the tow truck or if the tow truck just showed up on it's own (from what I heard it's a popular spot that cars are constantly getting towed from (difficult to see the sign there)).
No, I don't believe tow trucks ever just show up on their own accord and start towing (illegally) parked cars abitrarily. I think this kind of action would be indistinguishable from vehicle theft lol. They are in no position to enforce parking regulations - that's TPE's job. When tow trucks show up to remove vehicles, 100% because someone called them to do it (ie. parking enforcement, private property owner).

Last edited by Kalidian; 06-26-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Treize
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
No, I don't believe tow trucks ever just show up on their own accord and start towing (illegally) parked cars abitrarily. I think this kind of action would be indistinguishable from vehicle theft lol. They are in no position to enforce parking regulations - that's TPE's job. When tow trucks show up to remove vehicles, 100% because someone called them to do it (ie. parking enforcement, private property owner).
Ahh ok, makes sense. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treize View Post
Hello all,

I've been meaning to ask this ever since I saw my friends car about to be towed. He was able to run out in time and had to pay close to $100 just to get it back down off the tow truck (random number the driver came up with to make quick cash).

Anyone know if there is a way to stop them from towing the car without having to pay in this particular situation? I've heard that if you get into your car they can not move and will eventually let it down to not waste time (so that they could go tow other cars).

If anyone has some experience with similar situations please share.

Thanks!
Wow if your friend's story is true this is totally sketch. As other posters have said no tow truck driver tows a car off public city streets unless a cop or parking enforcement officer tickets it first and tells them to (tag and tow).

A better approach would be once he made it clear he was willing to accept a bribe to lower the car back down, make a big show of taking a pic of his license, truck, and license plate with your phone. Then when he asks what you are doing tell him that you're gathering info for your formal complaint to Toronto Municipal Licensing & Standards.

Even though it will be just your word against his, he will probably not want the hassle of dealing with the complaint and will lower the car back down.

And if/when he does, file the complaint anyway. These are the guys who are giving tow truck drivers their terrible reputation in this city, and should be off the roads ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Treize
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
Wow if your friend's story is true this is totally sketch. As other posters have said no tow truck driver tows a car off public city streets unless a cop or parking enforcement officer tickets it first and tells them to (tag and tow).

A better approach would be once he made it clear he was willing to accept a bribe to lower the car back down, make a big show of taking a pic of his license, truck, and license plate with your phone. Then when he asks what you are doing tell him that you're gathering info for your formal complaint to Toronto Municipal Licensing & Standards.

Even though it will be just your word against his, he will probably not want the hassle of dealing with the complaint and will lower the car back down.

And if/when he does, file the complaint anyway. These are the guys who are giving tow truck drivers their terrible reputation in this city, and should be off the roads ASAP.
Story is definitely true as I was the one who spotted his car getting towed in front of the restaurant. He did get a parking ticket but just managed to get out in time before the car was about to be towed away.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

No car can be towed without a parking enforcement officer at the scene. The Parking officer inputs the cars plate and info into a database so when its gone you can call them and find out where your car is.

A tow truck can't just show up and tow a car. Ticket or no ticket.

Mike
Appreciate 0