E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > chop 335d for e46 M3?

04-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Just to mention....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee335 View Post
To be honest i would stick with the 335, if its more power you want get a remap.

In my eyes you are going backwards in terms of e92 back to e46

I know the 'M' badge is very appealing as i keep thinking i want an M3 over my 335i but am just about to buy JB4 and then i will be happy again. Look into getting a remap and stick with the newer model

An M car isn't only 'bout power. Its about tricky diff., suspension, brakes, steering and a host of other attributes that place its driveability way above a standard 'd' or 'i' car. An 'M' car is about way higher limits AND limits that are forgiving, predictable and non-threatening. Drive an 'i' care at the limit of adhesion and it will suddenly snap...push an 'M' car to the same point and you gradually unwind steering lock. A totally different ballgame.
Map a 'd' car and you may have the same power but you have nothing like like the same level of predictability or finesse.

Last edited by SteveC; 04-28-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
An M car isn't only 'bout power. Its about tricky diff., suspension, brakes, steering and a host of other attributes that place its driveability way above a standard 'd' or 'i' car. An 'M' car is about way higher limits AND limits that are forgiving, predictable and non-threatening. Drive an 'i' care at the limit of adhesion and it will suddenly snap...push an 'M' car to the same point and you gradually unwind steering lock. A totally different ballgame.
Map a 'd' car and you may have the same power but you have nothing like like the same level of predictability or finesse.
I agree with that entirely!
      04-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #25
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee335 View Post
To be honest i would stick with the 335, if its more power you want get a remap.

In my eyes you are going backwards in terms of e92 back to e46

I know the 'M' badge is very appealing as i keep thinking i want an M3 over my 335i but am just about to buy JB4 and then i will be happy again. Look into getting a remap and stick with the newer model
Step backwards in some areas yes but in driving pleasure then no. The fact is that an M feels special in the way it drives, it gets under your skin and no other BMW i have driven has come close to this feeling, including my old 335i.

I need to get into a bigger car later this year and i may end up trading the M3 for a F31 touring or an X5 - i have driven an F30 335 and the X5 and although these are newer models than my E90 M3 they both felt like massive downgrades to me - because they are. Will be a sad day when i hand over my keys and pick up the new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #26
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
Nah rubbish. SMG II is great. I loved both of mine. You just have to learn how to make the best use of it. Just like any car.

Don't believe everything Jeremy Twatson has to say when he spends 5 minutes with a car and then gives you a definitive review...

Drive an SMG II car and make your own decision.
I did. M6 (2006). It was great if pushing on, but a proper pain in the ass when not. It was one of the main reasons I shifted the car. If it had had a dual clutch system (or better still, a manual), I'd still have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
m3gkr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
Hello Gents,

Some advice if you will.

I've seen a one owner E46 M3 on sale at bmw for approx 15k - the car is 2004/54, SMG, Sat Nav with 50k miles on the clock.

I have a 2008/08 335d with approx 40k, fully loaded, prof nav, 19's black/black, full bmsh, 1 prev owner.

Just wondering what ball park figure i should expect as part ex for mine. Mty research leads me to believe the M3 is worth around 12.5 from a dealer on a good day.

Any thoughts or opinions on how much would you be asking for on top of the M3.

Cheers
I went from e46 M3 to 335d
I loved the M3 but to keep her the way I wanted, she was getting to be a money pitt..........Awesome car, but 250 miles tops out of a tank to 500 on the 335d it was a no brainer to change, seeing as I'm doing 18k miles per year.

My advise is tread carefully, especially with SMG - if and when they go wrong they are big bucks, mine was a manual.

Good luck
Appreciate 0