E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Paint Protection

03-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
confused.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

BMW Paint Protection

Does anyone know how the warranty works on for this?

I had it applied (free) when i purchased my AUC car 9 months ago, today i noticed some bird shite has left an etching in the paint, must have only been there a few days before i cleaned it off.

The Paint Protect info i got states i have a warranty for 2 years, will this damage be covered? I've tried to polish it out, but no luck - don't fancy spending 350 odd quid to have the car detailed to correct this.

I did call BMW customer services about this today, but the chap had no clue what i was on about and started quoting the general paint warranty - told me to call my local dealer to discuss.

Any info appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Probably just lifted the paint protect. Just a thought..try ebay a replacement pack for a few quid and reapply.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused.com View Post
must have only been there a few days before i cleaned it off.
Therein lies the problem....

This stuff is like brick acid on paintwork. If you know its there you should clean it off immediately, no delay whatsoever at all.

Cheers

Yves
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

A few years ago I left a good sized dollop on a Ford for a few days & when I washed it off it took the lacquer & paint with it & I was left with was a hole with primer at the bottom in the middle of the roof. Bird sh1t is evil stuff, wash out off asap!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
A few years ago I left a good sized dollop on a Ford for a few days & when I washed it off it took the lacquer & paint with it & I was left with was a hole with primer at the bottom in the middle of the roof. Bird sh1t is evil stuff, wash out off asap!
I doubt they will cover for bird poo unfortunately, I'm not aware of any product really that can protect against that stuff for any sustained period of time.

If you do decide to have it detailed I can heartily recommend lee at bespoke car care.

I had a professional Paint seal (using Gtechniq C1) and detail at http://www.bespokecarcare.com
Even though the car was new he still removed marks and scratches we found before sealing and the paint still looks great even after winter, much harder and scratch/shite resistant too
      03-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

A few years ago I had a maroon Ford Mondeo which I parked under a tree. I did'nt realise it was a cherry within which birds were feeding.
The car was splattered front, middle & rear. As I was travelling about did'nt have time to remove the splats for a couple of days, which was sufficient time to take the top coat down to the undercoat!
This was a Ford paint finishes which did not contain lead and with no protecting laquear.
A lesson learnt!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Afraid to say BMW paint's crap when it comes to this!

I had many warranty issues with paint on my e93 and ended up rejecting the car for this and other reasons. The BMW paint is very hard when it comes to certain things but it can't resist the acids in bird sh!te, nor can it resist the acids in fly squat either.

Seemed to be at it's worst around the 57 to 08 plate time, all of them had issues with it. On my 09 Pâté e92 however the paint was perfect....

Only thing to do it get the paint polished down to beneath the damage then protected again. Don't bother with a whole detail unless you want to through: it's only one area!
Good luck,

J
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

I think it is covered if you forked for the paint protection!!

In fact I am sure the leaflet issues by some dealers featured a bird doing the business.

Though i think the dealer offers the guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
marshyrob
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d 2017 M Sport

yeah it covers it im sure (recently got it with my E92), £25 excess per claim though if i remember correctly and cant be a very big area either.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
sandford6016
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 420D M Sport

I had this happen on my black sapphire e90, it was on the flat bit of the bumper in front of a headlight, the shite was on there for 2 weeks in gatwicks long term car park! A local body shop re-sprayed and lacquered the offending area and did a brilliant job for £90.
Appreciate 0