Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 3rd Gen RFT. Well, half the problem solved.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #23
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
RFTs are not compatable with NYC streets. Combine them with a sport suspension and low profile tires and you get a car that is for all practical purposes undrivable around here.

CA
yeah...i want to switch them out but i have the warranty soooo...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #24
ronnieshih
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI

I want that compartment under the trunk mat expanded to full size to be able to accommodate a spare. That's the least BMW can do to give people an option instead of forcing them to use RFT's with limited models and options. They achieved 50/50 weight distribution for past generations of 3 series, and there is no reason why they can't do so with a 25lb donut spare. If I were in the middle of the woods with a punctured RFT and the closest shop is more than a 100 miles away, I would still need to call AAA. The idea of RFT tires is flawed. We don't all drive in cities all day long where tire repair shops are close by. Not to mention the availability of RFT tires in the tire repair shops. Some shops don't just stock them. That means you are out of a car for days.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #25
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
That's actually the best point! RFTs on a smaller town "runabout" type car does make sense, but not on an open road eater. I don't like the disposable nature of RFTs that you have to replace rather than repair - and then inevitably you have tyres with varying tread wear on the same axle! Can't be ideal!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #26
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

All of the above said, I ran over something in the road which holed my RFT. It was on the highway in pouring rain and I was on my way to an important appointment that would have been a problem to miss. The tire went flat, but I didn't have to stop and didn't miss my appointment.
Expensive to fix, YES. Convenient as hell, YES also!
Once the prices of these tire come down (or the more reasonably priced manufacturers start production) they really can make a lot of sense!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I've never had a problem with the tire shops in my area. I've been to 2 different ones, and they just plugged them, both times.
this.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by axztx View Post
RFTs suck. My conti RFTs bent all 4 of my wheels beyond repair and 1 of them is also cracked. Goodbye to RFTs forever!
+1

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i have no issue with my RFTs except that they are supposed to be replaced if you have even the smallest puncture that would otherwise be patched on a non RFT tire. It sucks have to pay nearly $400 for one tire that has 95% of its tread remaining simply because of a stray nail on the road. Lots of tire shops won't touch a RFT.

When it comes time to replace all 4 RFTs, I may go non-RFT just to try them out. Though I'm not that convinced that goop and a small compressor is really a substitute for a real spare tire.
+1 ... worked fine on my M3 for 4 years, regular tires, 19 inch wheels and a compressor with sealer in the trunk (never used the sealer).

I like to know what changed between 2002 and 2009 on the 19 inch wheels for them to crack .... Hmmmm oh yes the RFT

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #30
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
As far as I know, the Bridgestone 3rd gen is not out yet. But Michelin PS2 ZP has a very good ride for a RFT (if you can afford it...I don't so I have switched to non-RFT )
Smart move

Appreciate 0