E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 kit and M3 controls

03-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
So I installed the Bilstein B12 kit (shocks with Eibach springs) and some M3 control arms yesterday. This was coming from non sport. What a major difference. My car feels like it's stuck to the road. The turn in response is really good and absolutely no body roll anymore. My ride height dropped to just below my tread and the bump absorption stayed the same yet was more stiff, if that makes sense.

Installation and parts costed around $1800.

If anyone needs new shocks and controls, then I highly suggest these parts.
How are you liking the B12 setup now? I have had mine on the car for about a month now. It is great 80% of the time. It can be a little harsh over bumpy city street driving. I am hoping that going from winter run flats to summer Michelin PSS's will help with that be getting ride of those super stiff sidewalls.
      03-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I can't give a full ride review until I replace my front sway bar links. I think I am getting slightly more harsh ride because they aren't letting enough travel. Plus the knocking sound is getting annoying lol.

I have softer side walled Pirelli A/S's but I like the tires a lot. They grip well with the M3 controls and shocks. Ride over highway-speed bumps is great, I don't feel them. Low speed bumps are harsher than the non sport, but I was expecting that.

The suspension got a little softer after it's been installed 3 weeks now.

How the kit stands by its self is pretty good.
      03-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

You will definitely notice the swap away from rft. Mine is a non-sport and came with the stock continental 16" rft. On the way home from the tire shop with my new michelin primacy non-rft, my father in law even said, hey your car rides a lot better. Of course to me it was like night and day, but for a passenger to notice when I didn't say anything about the rft and the ride etc, that speaks volumes.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #26
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
I can't give a full ride review until I replace my front sway bar links. I think I am getting slightly more harsh ride because they aren't letting enough travel. Plus the knocking sound is getting annoying lol.

I have softer side walled Pirelli A/S's but I like the tires a lot. They grip well with the M3 controls and shocks. Ride over highway-speed bumps is great, I don't feel them. Low speed bumps are harsher than the non sport, but I was expecting that.

The suspension got a little softer after it's been installed 3 weeks now.

How the kit stands by its self is pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
You will definitely notice the swap away from rft. Mine is a non-sport and came with the stock continental 16" rft. On the way home from the tire shop with my new michelin primacy non-rft, my father in law even said, hey your car rides a lot better. Of course to me it was like night and day, but for a passenger to notice when I didn't say anything about the rft and the ride etc, that speaks volumes.
Thanks Guys!

Makes me want to change over my tires today!!!!!!!

Will post up comments after the change over.
      03-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #27
Ranoz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DSCLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Thanks Guys!

Makes me want to change over my tires today!!!!!!!

Will post up comments after the change over.
+1

But I've only put 14000km on my tyre, what am I gonna do with it?
JB4 | Fie Cattless DP| Vorsteiner Diffuser | Black Grill | LED Parking Light | 15% Tint | M Spoiler | Black Side Grill | LED Number Plate Light | M Floor Mat | CF Knob | CF Centre Console Trim | Handbrake Grip with Alcantara | ADV1 5.0v1cs 20"
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #28
Laurus_CEO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Good to know, I'll keep this in mind for when I'm ready for my suspension upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #29
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

I was able to take a drive in a 2010 e90 with Koni Sports and Swift Spec R Springs this cold Sunday morning. The car is set at almost full soft on the front and middle in the back. My bussy is also on Winter Run Flats as well.

I was able to drive the same roads around my place to get a direct comparion. He car has the same tendancies as mine did which I am glad about as it makes me feel allot better about my B12 kit!!!! His back end bounced around alittle more than mine did.

Can't wait to get my Michelin PSS's on in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #30
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I was able to take a drive in a 2010 e90 with Koni Sports and Swift Spec R Springs this cold Sunday morning. The car is set at almost full soft on the front and middle in the back. My bussy is also on Winter Run Flats as well.

I was able to drive the same roads around my place to get a direct comparion. He car has the same tendancies as mine did which I am glad about as it makes me feel allot better about my B12 kit!!!! His back end bounced around alittle more than mine did.

Can't wait to get my Michelin PSS's on in a couple of weeks.
The other aspects of the handling and ride seemed very similar? If so, that sounds very good because the Swift with Koni seems like a great suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
So I installed the Bilstein B12 kit (shocks with Eibach springs) and some M3 control arms yesterday. This was coming from non sport. What a major difference. My car feels like it's stuck to the road. The turn in response is really good and absolutely no body roll anymore. My ride height dropped to just below my tread and the bump absorption stayed the same yet was more stiff, if that makes sense.

Installation and parts costed around $1800.

If anyone needs new shocks and controls, then I highly suggest these parts.
Just did the same mods to my 335i sedan. Big difference in handling and how well-planted the car feels on the road. Ride height drop was minimal as car had ZSP already. I'm attending a HPDE at Thunderhill (Willows CA) next week. Hoping the car does well with the new suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #32
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
Just did the same mods to my 335i sedan. Big difference in handling and how well-planted the car feels on the road. Ride height drop was minimal as car had ZSP already. I'm attending a HPDE at Thunderhill (Willows CA) next week. Hoping the car does well with the new suspension.
I'm interested in hearing your before and after (suspension) HPDE experiences.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #33
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
I'm interested in hearing your before and after (suspension) HPDE experiences.
First time out in this car, so no before and after track comparison unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #34
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335

Reviving an oldie but a goodie - just put on the b12 Prokit and while I still need an alignment, I'm getting clunking from the passenger rear when going over undulating surfaces and of course bumps. Read on the e46 that this was a common problem and one guy even sent it back to Bilstein USA to get it replaced. Anyone else experiencing clunking from the passenger rear?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #35
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoooter_j View Post
Reviving an oldie but a goodie - just put on the b12 Prokit and while I still need an alignment, I'm getting clunking from the passenger rear when going over undulating surfaces and of course bumps. Read on the e46 that this was a common problem and one guy even sent it back to Bilstein USA to get it replaced. Anyone else experiencing clunking from the passenger rear?
You sure the shock mounts aren't bad or maybe wasn't reinstalled correctly?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #36
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have some similar clunking with mine, but still have the stock sport suspension (for now). The previous owner had hit some road objects, plus the car has its share of miles on it. I can tell that the clunking is slowly getting more pronounced.
My feel is that it's the shock mounts, etc.
So when I install my B12 kit, it'll include all new upper and lower mounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #37
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
You sure the shock mounts aren't bad or maybe wasn't reinstalled correctly?
Thanks - thats the first thing I'll get my mechanic to check since I put in a Dinan RUSM kit as well. From the installation diagrams, its easy to flip the spacer included in the kit and won't be obvious unless you're careful.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
Nguyenhu0106
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

i would look into changing your swaybar endlinks.. they can go out, and it was the reason why mine was clunking.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #39
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenhu0106 View Post
i would look into changing your swaybar endlinks.. they can go out, and it was the reason why mine was clunking.
Interesting...thx for the heads up on that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #40
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Went in today to get the clunking checked out but also to install the m3 front arms. Turns out the clunking was due to a worn bushing at where the bottom of the rear shock mounts. My Indy installed a washer to remove play in the bushing that allowed the clunking to occur and we seem to be good again.

On a side note, badly need an alignment as my toe is out of whack. However, I notice that bumps are now met with a harsh bang...almost like I'm lowered too much. Hope the alignment also sorts this out.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #41
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Went in today to get the clunking checked out but also to install the m3 front arms. Turns out the clunking was due to a worn bushing at where the bottom of the rear shock mounts. My Indy installed a washer to remove play in the bushing that allowed the clunking to occur and we seem to be good again.

On a side note, badly need an alignment as my toe is out of whack. However, I notice that bumps are now met with a harsh bang...almost like I'm lowered too much. Hope the alignment also sorts this out.
I noticed after a while the B12 kit became too harsh for NY roads, so I eventually swapped out the springs for some sport ones, but kept the shocks in place. I still retained most of the performance value of the original kit, but just added a bit more cushion over bumps. It came to be a great balance between handling and comfort. My ride height increased maybe 3/4".
      04-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #42
Shoooter_j
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just an update as I got an alignment this morning. Funky steering (after turning a certain amount, the car would want to go full lock by itself), steering wheel wobbling under braking (worn thrust arms), and the hard crashing over bumps are all sorted (toe was 4.38!!)

Car now drives like a dream - first hard corner impressed the heck outta me
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #43
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker335d View Post
I noticed after a while the B12 kit became too harsh for NY roads, so I eventually swapped out the springs for some sport ones, but kept the shocks in place. I still retained most of the performance value of the original kit, but just added a bit more cushion over bumps. It came to be a great balance between handling and comfort. My ride height increased maybe 3/4".

That's my exact concern with the B12 kit and the reason for my hesitation about pulling the trigger vs replacing my sport dampers with the set of old performance dampers I have stored away mated with the 2011 linear (rear) sport springs on the car. NY roads are an animal in and of themselves and maybe I'm just getting old but I can't deal with most of the suspension set ups people run here, they are just too harsh for day to day.
Appreciate 0