E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

11-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #1123
ghenstorf
HarleybimmerRN
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2006 330xi and Black X5

My previous E90 had the same ticking. My dealer found information from BMW about air in the oiling system. Tech ran engine up to xxxxRPM for XX seconds several times as per service advice and ticking went away. My E90 X drive came to me with more miles and never had ticking. Sorry, I have forgotten the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #1124
pinchycm
Rock chips = RAGE!
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

So I got my car back and the ticking is gone after they replaced the lifters. However, in my driveway now there's a bit of oil... should I be concerned? Maybe they overfilled? Only other work they did was an oil/filter change. Could be a bit of grime? It's not dark or anything and it doesn't smell like much.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #1125
feballer4sure
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchycm View Post
Mine's in the shop today - showed them the TSB, and they're replacing the lifters.
Do you have the Link for the TSB? I showed them the SB about clicking noise and they said it's for an older year..2005...They lubricated the steering column again now there's no noise,but I'm sure it will come back. Maybe I should take to a BMW dealer, can't depend on their 25000 miles warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #1126
pinchycm
Rock chips = RAGE!
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

It's up a couple pages. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1084
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #1127
lhe
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 07 328i SG

had lifters and cam shaft replaced under warranty by Tischer BMW and the clicking noise is gone. excellent service.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #1128
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i xDrive

Took my car in for an oil change today and mentioned the noise. They are replacing the lifters so we'll see what happens. For reference, I've had the car almost 4 months and have only heard the ticking noise on 4-5 different occasions, not with every cold start.
      11-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #1129
llryem
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebo View Post
This is my first post, but I have been searching the forum for some time now and it has been a wealth of information. This thread in particular has been of great interest to me as my car definitely has that loud ticking noise on cold starts after short trips around the neighborhood. With all the information on this thread, I thought I would have some success with my dealership (a large dealership here in AZ). Well, I was mistaken.

Brought it in the other day and explained in detail what the issue was and that I knew of the SIB that was out there. The service consultant said that they would check it out. They called me the next day and said that they ran it through a bunch of tests and could not duplicate the problem and therefore could not diagnose it. I brought up the SIB and even printed it out and brought it to them and they said there was nothing they could do, but if it happens again, to definitely give them a call and bring it in. I explained to them that it will happen again and by the time I get it to their service department, the sound will go away because it goes away after driving it for a while. I even asked if I should record it on video and bring in the video with me. I obviously was not getting anywhere with him, so I decided to take the car and leave.

I know the sound will come back. I will call them back and will bring the car back. Hopefully, they don't give me the same excuse next time. Do I just need to be persistent? Should I elevate to BMWNA?
I took mine in this morning and sat in the parking lot for an hour so it would get cold again... it worked!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 04:36 AM   #1130
Donka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
Hi all,

Last week I noticed that my car's engine started to emit a metallic ticking noise while it was running. The noise seemed tied to the engine RPM, in that it would get faster / slower depending on the engine's speed. The noise is intermittent, and I haven't heard it in a couple of days. Has anyone else heard anything at all similar to this in their cars? Does anyone have an opinion to what it might be? I'm taking the car into the dealership on Thursday, but I'd like to have some idea of what might be going on first.

Thanks in Advance!

Update: 6/30/2007

I was perusing the net a couple of days ago and came across some great images of the N52 engine. Here are a couple that I downloaded that show the parts that cause the tick. I modified the first picture to clearly show the valve lifters.

1. Diagram showing the valve lifters
Attachment 84322

2. Engine cutaway view showing valve lifter position
Attachment 84323

3. Engine cutaway view showing valve lifter position
Attachment 84324
Hi there , just wanted to ask if you ever found a solution to the metallic ticking noise you had on your 325i ? I have what sounds like the same problem with my 330i and would be really grateful if you have any advice . I realise this was a while ago but as a new user to this forum i have only just read your blog . Many thanks !!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #1131
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by feballer4sure View Post
Do you have the Link for the TSB? I showed them the SB about clicking noise and they said it's for an older year..2005...They lubricated the steering column again now there's no noise,but I'm sure it will come back. Maybe I should take to a BMW dealer, can't depend on their 25000 miles warranty.
Dude, when you gonnna learn your lesson about Herb Chambers? For the 3 times a year you have to go to the dealer, travel a little outside of Boston and get your car fixed up right. All dealers in the area are at least 100% better than Herb. Peabody might be even more.
      11-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #1132
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by llryem View Post
I took mine in this morning and sat in the parking lot for an hour so it would get cold again... it worked!!!!!!!!!!
cool
glad were replacing them for you!

one thing to note guys...cause i had this happen just yesterday. woman came in with the ticking complaint. allowed car to sit all day(and i do mean ALL day-untill 430)..started car..no ticking. We all know theres a bulletin, but if theres a complaint, and it doesnt tick in front of me, as a tech im not replacing the lifters until it ticks in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #1133
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
^^ AS a Tech is there any long term damage if I wait to get them replaced? Mine ticks when cold, they told me it was the VANOS system only and not to worry, then I showed them SIB and they agreed to fix it b4 my cpo warranty runs out, which is 2 more years.

SO Does it damage anything besides the lifters? Cause I want to wait if I can, the noise is annoying but so far it goes away when warm.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #1134
llryem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
cool
glad were replacing them for you!

one thing to note guys...cause i had this happen just yesterday. woman came in with the ticking complaint. allowed car to sit all day(and i do mean ALL day-untill 430)..started car..no ticking. We all know theres a bulletin, but if theres a complaint, and it doesnt tick in front of me, as a tech im not replacing the lifters until it ticks in front of me.
Me too. I have been worried about it until I found this post. Troy was very helpful and your head foreman recognized it right away. It is Tuesday and now in the shop being worked on. So far I have nothing but great things to say about BMW of Nashville. You guys have been good to me. I will purchase every new car from you.

So are you a mechanic or salesman? Wondered by the name. My other car is a VW Passat. Thought you could give me the name of a good VW mechanic because the dealership is terrible in Franklin.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #1135
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRyan323 View Post
Took my car in for an oil change today and mentioned the noise. They are replacing the lifters so we'll see what happens. For reference, I've had the car almost 4 months and have only heard the ticking noise on 4-5 different occasions, not with every cold start.
Got my car back from having the lifters replaced. So far so good.
      11-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #1136
llryem
Rep

Quote:
How long did it take? Mine is in for the same thing right now. They already had the parts in. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #1137
dmichael
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 GTI

Quote:
Me too, so far still have slight tick, but its probably normal, at least it is compared to the Model T Ford clickety clackety that was going on before.

Quote:
How long did it take? Mine is in for the same thing right now. They already had the parts in. Thanks.
My shop took 2 whole days, but they may have been too busy to tackle my job on the first day, in any even they are very thorough, and they would never let a car go out the door without a 100% clean bill of health.
      11-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #1138
llryem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
Me too, so far still have slight tick, but its probably normal, at least it is compared to the Model T Ford clickety clackety that was going on before.

My shop took 2 whole days, but they may have been too busy to tackle my job on the first day, in any even they are very thorough, and they would never let a car go out the door without a 100% clean bill of health.
Thank you... mine has been in since Monday. I was really hoping to have it back today. Even though they gave me a 2010 loaner (which I do like) I love my car and miss driving it. I can't say enough about my dealership... they have been great and I'm sure they are just making sure the job is done right.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #1139
Ryan323i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I took mine in on Thursday morning and I just got it back Monday afternoon. I liked the 2010 328xi loaner I got but I missed my car. I was also having an oil change and a few other things checked/fixed. With the amount of work involved, I think 2 days should be pretty standard.
      11-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #1140
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Just had my exhaust lifters replaced and they found a defective seal that they had to order from Germany. Oil was leaking into a wiring harness and making it's way to a computer, but luckily didn't get the whole way. Took about 1.5 weeks due to shipping, but I didn't mind with the E93 335i loaner. They didn't change the oil on mine stating it wasn't needed.. any comments..?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #1141
Blackfield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a car

My e90 (built Jan 2009) emits metallic ticking noise from the engine bay as well. I usually notice it after I park my car in the garage.
It only has 1K miles so far. The TSB states this effects on the car that was built on Nov 2008 and before.

Does anybody with 2009 build have this problem as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #1142
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfield View Post
My e90 (built Jan 2009) emits metallic ticking noise from the engine bay as well. I usually notice it after I park my car in the garage.
It only has 1K miles so far. The TSB states this effects on the car that was built on Nov 2008 and before.

Does anybody with 2009 build have this problem as well?
I have noticed this on my 2009 335i as well. Sometimes it is there on startup and sometimes not. It does not get faster with higher RPM at idle and after i have driven for 15-20 mins and get out and listen again it is gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #1143
Pulse
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 Coupe

Hi everyone! Hoping someone can help a newbie here!!!

I've just had this happen on my Z4 Coupe (in the UK).

I took it in, and have had something replaced (not sure what yet, picking it up later - I presume cylinder head?)

No issues with the dealer to replace it at all.

However, surely this will compromise the quality/durability/endurance of the engine in years to come? It won't have had the new cylinder head replaced to the factory standards, which will have tight guidelines... What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm a bit gutted to be fair, as I've had so much replaced on the car since I bought it! About 6 grand's worth of work now, luckily through warranty. What if I wasn't in warranty? I'd basically be stuffed!

Also, anything to look out for when I pick it up? (If anyone replies in time)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #1144
Pulse
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 Coupe

Right, they have ONLY replaced the HVAs, and NOT the cylinder head!!!! That means the issue is going to come back, right??? :mad0 260:
Appreciate 0