E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Adding tweeters to base system

11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
dappamikey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325D M Sport (Evolved)

Adding tweeters to base system

What is required other than the obvious (tweeters, housings) - Will I need coding - If so, how much will it cost....Also thinking about adding an amp/sub for rear - Will there be any issues...An ICE engineer I regularly use seems to think I wont need any coding as not amping interior speakers - is this true.

Mikey
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappamikey View Post
What is required other than the obvious (tweeters, housings) - Will I need coding - If so, how much will it cost....Also thinking about adding an amp/sub for rear - Will there be any issues...An ICE engineer I regularly use seems to think I wont need any coding as not amping interior speakers - is this true.

Mikey
Adding tweeters does not require coding. I am selling tweeters / mids and you can find details in the classified section.

Re: amp / sub
If you like the current sound of your BMW, yes you can add amp/ sub without coding. But your installer will be adding LOC.

Coding to hi-fi HU helps if you are going for alpine kit upgrade or complete aftermarket sound system.

Some use DSP or clean sweep to get clean signals from the headunit.

So it is down to personal choice which route you want to go.
      11-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320 E91

Adding standard tweeters to standard mids is a matter of plugging the tweeters into the mids - done.

You need to buy the front door mouldings and cut thru your rear door cards but its pretty easy I'd say.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
BMW scrapped the rear tweeters in their HiFi/business sound a few years ago and I think the OP is only talking about the front tweeters. Indeed, on a standard setup, rear tweeters would not improve the sound at all.

As has been said, the tweeters plug into the mids in the front doors and you will need a new moulding (big one on the E90) and just the triangular piece for an E92. In either case, don't forget the foam filler piece as well.

Up till 2011, no coding was required for the Alpine upgrade because the Alpine amp used high level inputs (i.e. from the speaker wires and therefore amplified output from the head unit. For other amplifiers which take a low level input (unamplified) the car needs coding to tell the headunit that it is using low level outputs not speaker outputs.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

No one so far has mentioned cross overs. Dont know if the standard twerters comes with this.

Just food for thought.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
BMW scrapped the rear tweeters in their HiFi/business sound a few years ago and I think the OP is only talking about the front tweeters. Indeed, on a standard setup, rear tweeters would not improve the sound at all.

As has been said, the tweeters plug into the mids in the front doors and you will need a new moulding (big one on the E90) and just the triangular piece for an E92. In either case, don't forget the foam filler piece as well.

Up till 2011, no coding was required for the Alpine upgrade because the Alpine amp used high level inputs (i.e. from the speaker wires and therefore amplified output from the head unit. For other amplifiers which take a low level input (unamplified) the car needs coding to tell the headunit that it is using low level outputs not speaker outputs.
I thought the coding was to flatten the EQ which BMW had tweaked to compensate for the lack of tweeters
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I don't think that's the case because when I got my Alpine upgrade in 2009, BMW stated that no coding was required for this. I don't know why 2011 onwards cars need coding, but when using third party amps taking normal outputs, the head unit has to be told to stop using the output amplifier as it's not needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I don't think that's the case because when I got my Alpine upgrade in 2009, BMW stated that no coding was required for this. I don't know why 2011 onwards cars need coding, but when using third party amps taking normal outputs, the head unit has to be told to stop using the output amplifier as it's not needed.
Alan, unfortunately all cars benefit from hi-fi coding. LCI/ Pre-LCI does not matter and sound always improve with alpine retrofit kit.

There are HUs in 2011 and onward with BT built in HU. They require coding by a different method.