E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

12-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #639
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I'm waiting on some parts to fix a crank seal leak and aero addons, exhaust upgrade, ECU tap for data logging. Maybe squeak in dyno for tuning if I can before the snow ruins things. Me thinks I am running too rich which might explain why I keep blowing up my exhaust ...
Well, hope she gets well soon. What do you mean by blown exhaust? It explodes? If so, need to reduce backpressure.....
      12-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #640
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
I'm waiting on some parts to fix a crank seal leak and aero addons, exhaust upgrade, ECU tap for data logging. Maybe squeak in dyno for tuning if I can before the snow ruins things. Me thinks I am running too rich which might explain why I keep blowing up my exhaust ...
gluck
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #641
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

hello many smart people,

so looks like the cheapass wheels that i got for winter need centering rings. serves me right.

is it safe to ride on them in the meantime, or should i take them off again until i can sort me some rings?

[edit] ok so it's been an hour and i am obviously an expert at this point.

so for future generations: they are NOT mandatory, but MAY cause vibration (although the current gen tapered screws are pretty good at retaining the wheel anyway); worth ordering just for peace of mind; and they are $7 for a set of 4 with free shipping on Amazon.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 12-08-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #642
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Since this is the place to ask questions... and answers magically appear...

Now that my car is parked till March, and there is no power outlet close enough to power a small battery trickle charger/tender, would a power pack of some kind be a solution to get electricity to my car?

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.
Quote:
I pull my battery from the car and keep in the house on a rubber mat while attached to my battery tender. When the HP spirits call to me and the roads are dry, I bolt her back in and rip tear through Rigaud, Vaudreuil and Dorion boonies.
you can disconnect battery if you have no power source readily available near your car. it will not screw up your electronics. you might lose some settings like your radio presets, etc but no biggie...

even with battery disconnected, the battery will still drain slightly but it should be enough to start your car in the spring. so no need to take it out of the car if you dont want to. if you have car troubles starting your car in march, i have a charger with a very very long extension cord that can charge your battery up to in a couple of mins. i'll let you borrow it when you are ready to move the car in the spring.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #643
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
hello many smart people,

so looks like the cheapass wheels that i got for winter need centering rings. serves me right.

is it safe to ride on them in the meantime, or should i take them off again until i can sort me some rings?

[edit] ok so it's been an hour and i am obviously an expert at this point.

so for future generations: they are NOT mandatory, but MAY cause vibration (although the current gen tapered screws are pretty good at retaining the wheel anyway); worth ordering just for peace of mind; and they are $7 for a set of 4 with free shipping on Amazon.
how bad is the vibration?? if the vibration is bad, it could damage other things like your shocks, hubs, bearings, etc.... i would assume you shouldnt drive it extensively until you get those centering rings installed... besides you have like 3 cars... so i am sure its no biggie.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #644
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
so i am noticing a sound from my front R wheel well at slow speeds. i feel as if it's a pulsatile sound with every rotation and noticeable mostly when going slowly and turning right (and less so when turning left - clear when going straight). also, it is constant, although at a greater amplitude in pulses, as mentioned. there is no change with different suspension settings. the wheels have been changed to winters and this problem was not apparent at that point. there have been no other recent changes. there is a spacer in the front wheels, under which I have applied anti-seize. i have not reverified the nut torques or seen if the tire is scraping anywhere. that is on my to do list. also, i still have 30% left on brakes. i have not perfectly scanned the rotors to see if they are clear (eg stone stuck or smthg), but that is also on my to do list.

any opinions on what this may be otherwise?

thx
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #645
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
how bad is the vibration?? if the vibration is bad, it could damage other things like your shocks, hubs, bearings, etc.... i would assume you shouldnt drive it extensively until you get those centering rings installed... besides you have like 3 cars... so i am sure its no biggie.
i actually have no idea whether there even IS vibration - considering how obsessive-compulsive i am about my cars, i researched all this with the car still being on the jack and with no wheel on it, haha.

but yeah. i'll try driving it. already ordered centering rings so it's sort of a non-point... will drive one of the other cars in the meantime if it's actually bad.

the winters are 17 instead of 18, and the wheel gap is so big now it literally does look like a Tiguan. i seriously need me some KWs. sigh
      12-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #646
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
i actually have no idea whether there even IS vibration - considering how obsessive-compulsive i am about my cars, i researched all this with the car still being on the jack and with no wheel on it, haha.

but yeah. i'll try driving it. already ordered centering rings so it's sort of a non-point... will drive one of the other cars in the meantime if it's actually bad.

the winters are 17 instead of 18, and the wheel gap is so big now it literally does look like a Tiguan. i seriously need me some KWs. sigh
ahh i see... yea you should try running the set up and going for a test drive. from what i know, if the wheels are not hub centric, you might run into those vibration issues youre afraid of. but if you dont have any problems then it might just be fine to drive around on the current set up for a few days until you get the rings.

youre saying the wheel gap increased cos youre on winters ? dont you usually keep the overall tire diameter the same between summer tires and winter tires ? (even if you change rim sizes)

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #647
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
so i am noticing a sound from my front R wheel well at slow speeds. i feel as if it's a pulsatile sound with every rotation and noticeable mostly when going slowly and turning right (and less so when turning left - clear when going straight). also, it is constant, although at a greater amplitude in pulses, as mentioned. there is no change with different suspension settings. the wheels have been changed to winters and this problem was not apparent at that point. there have been no other recent changes. there is a spacer in the front wheels, under which I have applied anti-seize. i have not reverified the nut torques or seen if the tire is scraping anywhere. that is on my to do list. also, i still have 30% left on brakes. i have not perfectly scanned the rotors to see if they are clear (eg stone stuck or smthg), but that is also on my to do list.

thx
best to do the checks that you already mentioned. it might be a small issue.

i have had similar rubbing noises on my RS before.... it turns out, it was one of the fender liners that have came lose due to a missing screw and was rubbing against the edge of one of the tires. i replaced the missing bolt and everything was fine.

worse case scenario is that you might need a wheel bearing replacement. how much mileage on the car right now ?

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #648
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
best to do the checks that you already mentioned. it might be a small issue.

i have had similar rubbing noises on my RS before.... it turns out, it was one of the fender liners that have came lose due to a missing screw and was rubbing against the edge of one of the tires. i replaced the missing bolt and everything was fine.

worse case scenario is that you might need a wheel bearing replacement. how much mileage on the car right now ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #649
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
ahh i see... yea you should try running the set up and going for a test drive. from what i know, if the wheels are not hub centric, you might run into those vibration issues youre afraid of. but if you dont have any problems then it might just be fine to drive around on the current set up for a few days until you get the rings.

youre saying the wheel gap increased cos youre on winters ? dont you usually keep the overall tire diameter the same between summer tires and winter tires ? (even if you change rim sizes)
I downsized to 17" since I already had a set lying around in the right size. I got a set of wheels that just barely cleared the calipers so I'm good. I didn't feel like wasting money on 18s for winter, hehe.

Quote:
You have 60K kms on your car?!?!?!? Are you moonlighting as a (very fast) taxi driver?????
      12-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #650
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
60 is still low. Don't think ur wheel bearings would go that quickly. It's probably something rubbing.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #651
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Well, hope she gets well soon. What do you mean by blown exhaust? It explodes? If so, need to reduce backpressure.....
I need a less restrictive muffler. I have a three chamber performance fiber glass filled muffler. I'll put a 2 chamber race non-glass filled unit in instead. A little more noise, but now that it is dedicated track, no worries.
      12-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #652
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

thx
If you put the car on a jack and give the wheel a spin does it make the same noise and more so in the right hand turn position (Rotors warp?). Sounds worse under very light braking? Are you able to remove the spacers and see if you get the same noise?
      12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #653
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
If you put the car on a jack and give the wheel a spin does it make the same noise and more so in the right hand turn position (Rotors warp?). Sounds worse under very light braking? Are you able to remove the spacers and see if you get the same noise?
so i drove the car around just slowly and the sound is not reproducible when going straight. it is only when turning right and mildly when turning left although is R is 100% L is 25%. This occurs at less than full lock. It does not occur at full lock. It also SLOWS the car down. there is a noticeable jerk when this occurs. It's also more of a sudden sound, like boom, rather than a constant rubbing sound. No hanging plastic doodas that I can see.

thx all

will try the jack...no time for now cuz i have exam soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #654
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
so i drove the car around just slowly and the sound is not reproducible when going straight. it is only when turning right and mildly when turning left although is R is 100% L is 25%. This occurs at less than full lock. It does not occur at full lock. It also SLOWS the car down. there is a noticeable jerk when this occurs. It's also more of a sudden sound, like boom, rather than a constant rubbing sound. No hanging plastic doodas that I can see.

thx all

i agree with joel... i think warped rotors or maybe some pad deposits on the rotors. best way is still to jack the car up and check. or get your mom to bring it to the dealer and ask them to diagnose. your car's still under warranty anyway.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #655
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

what do you guys think about the new 4 series??

more pictures here......
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778624

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #656
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:

more pictures here......

I was posting in the 4-series announcement thread that it's a classical BMW. Beautiful front, great side lines, rear designed by a blind goat.

But maybe they'll take away those KIA bumpers, since it's a concept and all. I might buy it if it looks a little bit less ostentatious (and just aggressive - which it DOES have the potential to look like).
      12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #657
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

thx all

I'm hoping it isnt anything serious, but I think you're going to need a mechanic on this one. Jerks and booms are bad.
      12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #658
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

more pictures here......

I hope these are bad angles. Not feeling it.
      12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #659
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
*update*

-raised each front corner, spun wheels, sound good

-took each front tire off, spun just the rotor and looked both sides, good

-measured each front rotor, maximum wear is 0.5mm on front left, which is <2mm recommended replacement

-retorqued all wheels, good

-drove around, still making the sound

-had a friend of mine sit in car with me (370z dude) and he thinks its coming from the rear and after careful listening, i am of this opinion

-he thinks its the diff....which would fit with why this happens when car is turning and why its coming from rear. it makes sense. i agree

any opinions before i go to BMW?

thx all for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #660
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Have you scanned the car to see if any codes are being thrown, just out of curiosity?

When my diff went, I had a Christmas tree of lights of all sorts, and the car was making crazier sounds than a gang of leper cats on a diet, but I guess you're nowhere as far gone.