E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

03-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #397
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I've just got a 330d with the newer 313M 19" alloys .... I am hoping they are OK ! Anyone any ideas if the new ones have cured the issues (says he a bit late hoping they are OK .... )
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #398
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
I've just got a 330d with the newer 313M 19" alloys .... I am hoping they are OK ! Anyone any ideas if the new ones have cured the issues (says he a bit late hoping they are OK .... )
Think most of us are still driving around in courtesy cars, got told today by my dealer that its likely to be at least 4-6 weeks and even then they cant be sure.

Must be cheaper to offer us the newer wheels, hire car is costing BMW at least £65 per day
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #399
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
I think a few people have had them buckle, not sure about cracks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #400
Chris_E92
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M Sport

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would add my tale of woe to this 19 page thread so here goes:

Car: E92 '08 330i with 19" 225M Alloys
Problem: Rear driver side cracked alloy

I took my car into BMW Tunbridge Wells for it's MOT and it failed due to the cracked rear alloy. 2 of my tyres were extremely low on tread so after much research I had them changed to Falken 452's the morning before it went in to the main delaer.
Coopers have run their tests and say the wheels run-out is 2.7mm (within their limit of 3mm) and there is no evidence of impact damage. A shoe-in for a free replacement you would think?
No. Apparently the damage may have happened on the two mile drive from the tyre fitting to the dealership on non RFT and therefore they will not replace them even under the extended warranty i have just paid a lot of money for.

As you can probably imagine I am extremely pissed off with the situation and have been in contact with customer services. They've told me they will look into it and get back to me but I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle.

They've given me an Avis 118d Auto to drive but no firm dat on the delivery of the replacement wheel. The customer service guy also told me that "the alloys have been designed for RFT and therefore they highly recommend changing them back".

Should I be worried the Falken's are going to cause more damage or is he blowing smoke and do you guys think I've shot myself in the foot by changing to these tires?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #401
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Complte and utter crock, if anything a non RFT will be safer for the wheel as it absorbs more of the schock, another service monkey who doesnt know and is trying to BS.
      03-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #402
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E92 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I took my car into BMW Tunbridge Wells for it's MOT and it failed due to the cracked rear alloy. 2 of my tyres were extremely low on tread so after much research I had them changed to Falken 452's the morning before it went in to the main delaer.
Coopers have run their tests and say the wheels run-out is 2.7mm (within their limit of 3mm) and there is no evidence of impact damage. A shoe-in for a free replacement you would think?
No. Apparently the damage may have happened on the two mile drive from the tyre fitting to the dealership on non RFT and therefore they will not replace them even under the extended warranty i have just paid a lot of money for.

As you can probably imagine I am extremely pissed off with the situation and have been in contact with customer services. They've told me they will look into it and get back to me but I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle.

They've given me an Avis 118d Auto to drive but no firm dat on the delivery of the replacement wheel. The customer service guy also told me that "the alloys have been designed for RFT and therefore they highly recommend changing them back".

Should I be worried the Falken's are going to cause more damage or is he blowing smoke and do you guys think I've shot myself in the foot by changing to these tires?

Thanks for your help
Sorry to hear that Chris, and that is exactly the reason I'm sticking with the RFT tyres. I've had 2 cracked wheels replaced on current car no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #403
Chris_E92
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Sorry to hear that Chris, and that is exactly the reason I'm sticking with the RFT tyres. I've had 2 cracked wheels replaced on current car no questions asked.
Suddenly the £1300 for RFT tires doesn't seem so bad if it means I could get the alloys replaced for free. The ride quality with those tires and the M Sport suspension is terrible though so I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one!

Fingers crossed BMW see the light and give me the wheel for free but it may be wishful thinking!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #404
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_E92 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help
As stated this is kind of answer from the dealer sounds like a complete load of rubbish, I have spoken to my local Trading Standards who have said any defect of this kind comes under the sale of goods act. It would be for the dealer to prove that the change of tyres caused the cracks and not for you to prove to the contrary.

I would speak to Trading Standards, get a name and contact number and then demand to speak with the dealer service manager.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #405
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Also I recall reading BMW now offer a non RFT option when you buy new so doubt the wheels are different just another excuse IMO
      03-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #406
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

We all know the alloys are less likely to crack with non run flat tyres on. However, I will most likely be sticking with the runflats so BMW have no excuse to wriggle out of a claim.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #407
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

or just keep your RFTs like I have in the shed if wheel cracks swap tyre over and presto it did have RFTs on them sir
      03-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #408
contractor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f15 m50d, f25 35d

Update:

My other half got her car back yesterday with 2 new alloys paid for by BMW. I'll think about putting on non RFT, keeping 1 front and 1 rear tyre somewhere safe.

It took a month overall to get sorted, and the dealer was very good so can't fault them there. It's not a good situation for anyone to be in though.

Does anyone know if the wheels supplied by the new manufacturer are any less prone to cracking (on RFT) than the original ones?

///C
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #409
gav
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Got my car back with 2nd new alloy fitted FOC this week (one of the quicker replacements i think) only 5 weeks in a rental car. Just spoken to BMW customer service who 'cannot' do anything to compensate any inconvenience caused and suggested i go back to the dealership. Not sure whether i can be bothered, anyone had any success getting anymore than a replacement of the alloy?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #410
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by incrediblehulk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
You might have seen my cracked wheels thread elsewhere, this is a new one to keep it brief and simple. A few of you have been asking how I've been getting on

Long story short is that I've simply had two cracked rear alloys - Scothall and BMW cust services refuse to cover under warranty. Threatened BMW with legal action should they not resolve to my satisfaction, got ignored.

Just done the claim online whilst watching spooks, pretty simple, £60 cost.

Feel free to guess if I will suceed or fail....

Oh, and if anyone from BMW customer services is reading, good evening....

A month ago i was driving and i hit a pothole that cracked and bent my front left rim. My insurance did not want to cover the expenses. My friend referred me to a shop to get my rim repaired for a cheap price. I went on RepairMyRim.com and talked to their customer service rep and they set me up on getting my rim repaired. Only work i had to do was box the rim and send it to them. 3 days later, the rim was on my door step looking brand new. I took it to the tire shop and had them spin it for me. To my surprise it was spinning like it was brand new! Theses guys are the best rim repair guys ever. Check out their website at RepairMyRim.com. They will be helpful and they will save you hundreds! I am one happy customer
Hmm
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #411
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
As stated this is kind of answer from the dealer sounds like a complete load of rubbish, I have spoken to my local Trading Standards who have said any defect of this kind comes under the sale of goods act. It would be for the dealer to prove that the change of tyres caused the cracks and not for you to prove to the contrary.

I would speak to Trading Standards, get a name and contact number and then demand to speak with the dealer service manager.
Got car back last night, 2 new wheels although one tyre does show signs of wear in the inner rim. Have to say dealer was fine in the end.
Off to buy non RFT's now.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #412
Markhuss
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe Highline

Hello People,

Having spent a while scanning this very interesting thread; I hope this is not a stupid and foolish question, one which has been mentioned throughout the 3yrs of thread...

Like one of other "friends" on here, I've recently purchased a 330d M Sport with the 225M alloys on.

Are these ones affected by cracking???

Separate to this, does anybody know if storing tyres over time will mean they'll either perish or lose some of their elasticity???

Some dude is selling a full set of run flats, although mine has new tyres on all round, so the necessity for tyres is perhaps 2yrs away. Is it worth snapping up a bargain now, and keeping them in storage until circa 2013?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #413
agreid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i M Sport

Is this problem limited to 3 series? I have a 2007 530i M Sport. 19" Alloys. Looks like Ive just suffered cracks on the inside rims of both rear wheels. Still to check the fronts.

Bought it 1 year old / 2000 miles from BMW main dealer down south. Previous owner was BMW UK. Supplied with and always since equipped with non run flats.

Thanks to this thread I'll be going to see my local BMW dealer who has done all maintenance since.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #414
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Has anyone on this thread had their 'new' replacement 19" 225's crack like the originals ... or have BMW's suppliers sorted the issues ?

I have scuffed a 313M and BMW tell me it will be weeks to get stock as none at the factory - makes me wonder whether people are having issues with the new 19" design as well ..... not that I have seen anything on the UK forums apart from people like me scuffing the buggers as the design is difficult not to kerb unless you drive like an angel
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 09:21 PM   #415
Taz335DSA
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreid View Post
Is this problem limited to 3 series? I have a 2007 530i M Sport. 19" Alloys. Looks like Ive just suffered cracks on the inside rims of both rear wheels. Still to check the fronts.

Bought it 1 year old / 2000 miles from BMW main dealer down south. Previous owner was BMW UK. Supplied with and always since equipped with non run flats.

Thanks to this thread I'll be going to see my local BMW dealer who has done all maintenance since.
Hi,

Also had a E60 for a few years and mine came with the 18" MV2's and RFT's. However, the upgraded optional choice for this car is the 19" 172 'spider' alloy, BUT this comes with non RFT tyres????

I persevered with mine for about 2 years and when the time came to change the tyres, found I could get a set of NEW 172 reps and Falken 452 tyres for about the same price it would cost me to get a set of 18" RFT tyres ..... NO BRAINER really.

Best decision I made but not heard of any issues with the alloys of either type to be honest .... T
      06-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #416
C-Unit
Rep
Drives: 335i

can someone post cliff notes who is knowledgeable of the thread contents?

i.e. what is the current situation if we discover cracked rims? will BMW cough up now? if not what are our options? any way to make them / entice them to cough up?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #417
5hutupyouface
Rep
Drives: E93 M Sport 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Unit View Post
i.e. what is the current situation if we discover cracked rims? will BMW cough up now? if not what are our options? any way to make them / entice them to cough up?
I took my car in for an issue with the hard top which they fixed. They said they do checks on cars when they come for other issues as well. In my case they found one cracked alloy and replaced it there and then. I didn't know about it until I went to pick it up in the evening.

I was very pleased with the way they handled it. Found the issue themselves, put a new alloy on same day without me asking and handed my keys back.

All was done under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #418
Mole
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Coupe E92

Has anyone had any success with a County's claim with the relevant district Highway Council?

I have requested the relevant claim forms from Gloucester Highways Authority and will be looking for 100% reimbursement for my cracked alloy as a result of driving on the unacceptable quality of the roads in my area.

Will keep the forum posted.
Appreciate 0