E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > So my 335i caught fire leaving my driveway...

09-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #67
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Exclamation

Haven't had a chance to check out the glovebox area yet, got home really late today.

Got off work and on my drive to put a deposit down on the 2007 335i Coupe (with oil cooler btw, what else did they really change in 2008?) I got a call from my insurance.

Sooooooo........

They offered me $18k before tax, $21k after tax, I have $26k remaining on the loan before tax..... of course my reaction was wtf.. they told me the took the average of 3 cars and they said the lowest one sold for $16k and I asked her where they found a 335i Sedan with ~90k KMs on it for $16 000 cuz I would buy it right now.

So it sounds like they are willing to work with me she told me to email her 3 comparable cars that I find, also email her scans of my original purchase receipt showing the extra $ I spent on 3rd party warranty, electronic rush inhibitor protection, and walk-away insurance protection. Additionally she asked me to send scans of the major repairs that were done on the car which includes the $2800 bill from February which the injectors etc. were on. and the $1100 bill from August which was the water pump job.

So I literally just emailed all of that off to her, she said she will call me tomorrow afternoon. I also asked her in the email to see the documents which they are using to value my car at the 18/21k. cuz that is total bullshit too low.

Any other tips?

I haven't contacted BMWNA to fill them in on what I have been dealing with yet but I plan to call them tomorrow and voice my concerns/see if they will offer me anything, even just a warranty on a future BMW purchase of mine or something. This event almost caused me to never buy a BMW again but right now there is nothing out there that compares to the 335i for power for money and style for me...

I don't see much point in trying to chase the used car dealership that did the repair in February which included the injectors, it seems like a very quick dead end to chase them for that. Especially without an official forensic investigation that proves the injectors caused it.

Any further tips will be much appreciated... keeping in mind my above $ amounts are speaking in CDN $.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #68
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
holy shit
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #69
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opo View Post
Haven't had a chance to check out the glovebox area yet, got home really late today.

Got off work and on my drive to put a deposit down on the 2007 335i Coupe (with oil cooler btw, what else did they really change in 2008?) I got a call from my insurance.

Sooooooo........

They offered me $18k before tax, $21k after tax, I have $26k remaining on the loan before tax..... of course my reaction was wtf.. they told me the took the average of 3 cars and they said the lowest one sold for $16k and I asked her where they found a 335i Sedan with ~90k KMs on it for $16 000 cuz I would buy it right now.

So it sounds like they are willing to work with me she told me to email her 3 comparable cars that I find, also email her scans of my original purchase receipt showing the extra $ I spent on 3rd party warranty, electronic rush inhibitor protection, and walk-away insurance protection. Additionally she asked me to send scans of the major repairs that were done on the car which includes the $2800 bill from February which the injectors etc. were on. and the $1100 bill from August which was the water pump job.

So I literally just emailed all of that off to her, she said she will call me tomorrow afternoon. I also asked her in the email to see the documents which they are using to value my car at the 18/21k. cuz that is total bullshit too low.

Any other tips?

I haven't contacted BMWNA to fill them in on what I have been dealing with yet but I plan to call them tomorrow and voice my concerns/see if they will offer me anything, even just a warranty on a future BMW purchase of mine or something. This event almost caused me to never buy a BMW again but right now there is nothing out there that compares to the 335i for power for money and style for me...

I don't see much point in trying to chase the used car dealership that did the repair in February which included the injectors, it seems like a very quick dead end to chase them for that. Especially without an official forensic investigation that proves the injectors caused it.

Any further tips will be much appreciated... keeping in mind my above $ amounts are speaking in CDN $.
Dam that sucks. If i was in your situation I would hire a fire investigator to find out the cause of the fire. Your going to loose out on a chunk of money over this whole issue and it might be worth it for you to get the true reason for the fire. If the cause of the fire is the injector's fault that means a failed injector or bad labor. Considering how long ago it was done it cant be the labor unless you only drove your car a few hundred miles over the year. If the cause of the fire is from the bmw battery recall (unlikely) then bmw would pay up.

If you can prove that the fire was the cause of the labor, faulty injector, or bmw's design flaw (battery recall) then the insurance company would go after them for the money and would more than likely pay you out in full. Or you can get pain in full by the company who's responsible.

If a fire investigator somehow only costs $400-$1000 I'd pay for it (just a guess I have absolutely no clue on the true cost), but thats upto you on how you want to handle it since you will still owe 5k on a car you wont own. This also makes getting a new loan hard unless you have really good credit and lots of income to back it up.

This information would be nice for the community as well. That way we will know what to look for to prevent this from ever happening. Its also good for you too since im 100% sure you'd rather not run into this problem ever again if you buy another 335i.

I hope everything gets worked out. Did you by chance ask them to repair it? If i was going to be 5k under i would look into getting it repaired if they will do it. I'm not sure how much a bmw 335i engine is, but a new engine, harness, all melted part's, a hood, and paint would make that car just as new. You could even take advantage of the situation and buy oem m3 front bumper, side fenders, and hood.

The damage looks extent, but a new engine bay/turbo setup
(even m3 look) might be worth it if the costs are not over the value of the car plus you don't loose 5k right off the thing. I'm guessing though that bmw charges 20k for our engines and if thats the case a repair wont happen.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #70
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO REPAIR THIS! The gremlins to follow will drive you MAD! There is a chance they could fix it to your satisfaction, but I highly doubt you want to own a car that has had an engine fire on its history.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #71
buylongterm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335XI M package

^^^^^

EXACTLY!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #72
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO REPAIR THIS! The gremlins to follow will drive you MAD! There is a chance they could fix it to your satisfaction, but I highly doubt you want to own a car that has had an engine fire on its history.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #73
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Do Not Get That "repaired". No.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #74
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update:

I got insurance to settle for 25k against my 26k, plus I'm getting $350 back from my old warranty company; so I'll end up being out less than $1000, which is acceptable to me.

Rental car is due back in thursday @ 6p. pick up my new

2007 335i Coupe fully loaded (comfort access, navigation, sport package, oil cooler, rear sun shade, etc.)

on Friday. with 140 000 KM on it with a 2 year unlimited KM warranty for drive train (including turbos) plus water pump, fuel pump clutch assembly, wheel bearings etc. a few other things.

I'll be saving about $120/month on car payments as well so it worked out 'okay' I guess.

Lessons are: don't be afraid to fight with insurance company on your settlement, they try to low ball the shit out of you.

I still have to check my glovebox/fuse box connection area, and I still have to contact BMWNA to fill them in on the situation and maybe they'll offer me something..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #75
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

glove box/fuse box area looks perfectly fine...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #76
Bigugly
sheesh!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

is this an XI?

and i knew the glovebox was fine
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #77
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

nope just an 'i'
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #78
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
OP, glad you were able to get a reasonable value on the car. What insurance company was this?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #79
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Had a customer with the EXACT SAME FIRE last year on his 2007 335i coupe. Looks like a coil or injector caught fire, but no work was done in that area for a while. The fire appears to have started under the engine cover on both his car and the OP's car. Very interesting indeed, but I'm glad it has a happy ending.
      09-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #80
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:

Sooooooo........

Any other tips?

Do you not have gap insurance?

Sorry for your troubles
      09-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #81
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This was TD insurance.

No I didn't have gap insurance, I didn't even know it existed until after this happened.

Apparently most companies only offer gap insurance on brand new vehicles and even then only for the first 18 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #82
lol slow
2BRK4M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Autotragic

GAP is monthly paid if I'm not mistaken, so in this case he may have saved some money.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #83
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
This was TD insurance.

No I didn't have gap insurance, I didn't even know it existed until after this happened.

Apparently most companies only offer gap insurance on brand new vehicles and even then only for the first 18 months.
That sucks not sure if it would of helped or not

In nevada it is state law that you have to get gap insurance used car or not. I usually got it anytime I was going to be upside down on a car loan before moving here. I have never had to use it but nothing would suck more than getting into a major accident only to find out that you are 10k upside down on your loan

"GAP is monthly paid if I'm not mistaken, so in this case he may have saved some money."

Not sure what you mean by this. It is my understanding that if you have an accident gap insurance will cover the diff between what your car is worth and what you are getting paid out by the normal ins claim at the time of settling the claim.
      03-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #84
Flaming Mad
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

Exclamation Beware fires with BMW 3 Series

I feel your pain ! My story is - On 26 February 2014 my wife drove our 2011 BMW 318d from home in Devon to Birmingham to visit her mother. It was parked at around 4:30 pm and not driven again that day. At around 11:30 pm my wife was woken up by an explosion and on looking through the window saw that the car was in flames. The police and fire brigade attended to put out the fire. The initial investigations by the fire brigade said that the fire was started by an electrical fault in the engine bay, most likely the battery connector. The fire was confined to this area although further damage to the car has occurred. The insurance company has declared the car a complete write off as most of the front of the car has melted. No one was hurt but it is terrifying to think what might have happened if my wife had been driving or if it had happened at home where it is parked against the house under a wooden bay window.
I have phoned BMW twice and written to them a week ago and no response as yet. I suspect that they know of this problem and are intending to ignore it in the hope it goes away. BMW have also turned down the insurance company's offer to inspect the car. I would have though a responsible company would want to get to the bottom of why their cars burst into flames.
We'll wait and see what the BMW response is but I'm not holding my breath.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #85
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
OP I don't think worked out ok! they worked out great! 1. no one got hurt thankfully 1. your new car has more options 3. you're paying less on monthly basis.. sounds great to me ! glad it worked out keep trying to contact bmw patience is key you never know what you could get out of it!
Appreciate 0