E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil in expansion tank!!!

08-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Titanium3Series
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Oil in expansion tank!!!

Yesterday i was driving my 330i and when out of no where the red over-heating light illuminated. I had to drive about a 1 min to a place where I could pull over, and I shifted into neutral as much as I could to keep revs low.

Opened my hood and waited for the car to cool down a bit. After cooling i opened the tank to find drops of oil in it. I waited for a tow truck and kept checking it and it seems as though there was more oil entering the system the longer I waited. I opened my oil cap and did not find any milky-ness on the bottom side and there was no smoke of any sort coming out of the tailpipe or anywhere.

Honestly I am just hoping that my head gasket isn't messed up, but I strongly believe it is.

Does anyone know of any other places which can transfer oil into the coolant other than the head gasket, while causing the car to overheat. I would put my money on head gasket cause it is my luck, but maybe I can win sometimes.........

Basic info:
Thermostat was replaced <5000 miles ago
coolant flushed on the regular
and no over heating or temp problems at all until then(I have digital coolant temp gauge that is checked regularly)

Last edited by Titanium3Series; 08-15-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The only possibility I know of is the oil filter housing gasket. They have a history of problems. The coolant flows through one of the chambers, if the gasket fails it could cross contaminate.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
The only possibility I know of is the oil filter housing gasket. They have a history of problems. The coolant flows through one of the chambers, if the gasket fails it could cross contaminate.
i second this as a possibility.
Appreciate 0