E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tip for touching up stone chips

04-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Tip for touching up stone chips

Hi all, having recently acquired a 335i MSport, I have been treating my motor like a new baby with lots of TLC! Anyway I have picked up a couple of stone chips to the bonnet & had a small gouge to the kick plate when I bought the car. I touched the them up using a BMW paint stick but found a way to improve the finish. What I found worked well is to fill the chip completely with a blob of paint then allow to dry (don't worry about using an excess amount). Then fold soft tissue paper packing it tightly & dab some nail varnish remover to it. Then simply buff across quickly. Although not 100% perfect I found there was a significant improvement. I can hardly see the gouge now & the other chips are more or less flush with the paintwork. I'm not sure if any of you may have tried this technique, but thought I would share this with you. As the paint stick has different chemicals to the normal paint, the nail varnish remover will not cause any damage. It's a tried & tested technique I have used on my previous car
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalfreeride View Post
Hi all, having recently acquired a 335i MSport, I have been treating my motor like a new baby with lots of TLC! Anyway I have picked up a couple of stone chips to the bonnet & had a small gouge to the kick plate when I bought the car. I touched the them up using a BMW paint stick but found a way to improve the finish. What I found worked well is to fill the chip completely with a blob of paint then allow to dry (don't worry about using an excess amount). Then fold soft tissue paper packing it tightly & dab some nail varnish remover to it. Then simply buff across quickly. Although not 100% perfect I found there was a significant improvement. I can hardly see the gouge now & the other chips are more or less flush with the paintwork. I'm not sure if any of you may have tried this technique, but thought I would share this with you. As the paint stick has different chemicals to the normal paint, the nail varnish remover will not cause any damage. It's a tried & tested technique I have used on my previous car
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
sparky750
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalfreeride View Post
I'll be trying that
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky750 View Post
I'll be trying that
Me too.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Wow, great idea! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
It's a great idea and does work well. It's essentially the same way that the Dr.Colorchips thing works.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Plaen
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325i M Sport

I've found that if you have a lot of stone chips peppered in a region, build up paint layers as said and finish off with a machine polish.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Better to build up in layers and mix a little clear lacquer with the paint too if the car is metallic, to bring out the pigments.

The pros use the 3m rubbing stick to flat down and blend into rest of paintwork.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

will give that a go. I Normally just put on a blob of paint then sand down with a tiny piece of 2500grit until its flush, then polish but i'll be trying this.

Got a HUGE chunk taken out of the front bumper by a stone so i'll be trying this next time.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0