E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hankook v12's anyone used these?

04-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Hankook v12's anyone used these?

I really needed to replace my rear tyres and was looking for Khumo's or Vred's but they were out of stock at my local garage and they suggested trying Hankook v12 as they are the same price. Why not I thought? They are 255/35/18.

I did and within about 30m they made the back of the car feel like it was all over the place. Almost like they were made of jelly and the wheels were swaying side to side in the tyre wall. At speed it got worse and hard to keep in a straight line, like weird resonating speed wobble. I rang the company who said give it 20/30 few miles for them to 'bed in' and see what happens.

They were closed over the bank holidays but yesterday I found they were inflated to 37psi!

The issue I have is are they inflated too much (enough to comprimise the handling that much), are they just total sh*t and this is what I should expect from these tyres, or do I complain and ask for a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i e91

I got V12 for about 2 month and I done with them about 3000-4000 miles and and at the beginning tyres was bit wobbly. And now looks ok. Maybe I just used to wobbly after couple month of driving.
These tyres looks like have soft wall after I read some reviews.
I'm happy with a tyres. Grip is much better then Bridgestone RFT. Dunlop RFT. Pirelli RFT.
My missis she drive car every day to work and she is happy with wet roads. (She went in to roundabout couple times sideways with RFT).
But that's my review. Some people like it some don't.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input. Sounds like they might be a bit of a 'wobbly' tyre if you have had a similar experience. But it is really un-nerving when going at any speed and changing lanes. I can't imagine why they would allow them to leave the production line like that.

The grip is good as you say but I'm just not happy about the 'wobbly'
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
lemonukas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i e91

But I had same wobbly on my dunlop winter tyres last year. It's probably after using RFT and change to normal tyres. :
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have never had RFT on it so I couldn't tell you how much difference that makes. I came from Falken 152 and all I know is it feels terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
I really needed to replace my rear tyres and was looking for Khumo's or Vred's but they were out of stock at my local garage and they suggested trying Hankook v12 as they are the same price. Why not I thought? They are 255/35/18.

I did and within about 30m they made the back of the car feel like it was all over the place. Almost like they were made of jelly and the wheels were swaying side to side in the tyre wall. At speed it got worse and hard to keep in a straight line, like weird resonating speed wobble. I rang the company who said give it 20/30 few miles for them to 'bed in' and see what happens.

They were closed over the bank holidays but yesterday I found they were inflated to 37psi!

The issue I have is are they inflated too much (enough to comprimise the handling that much), are they just total sh*t and this is what I should expect from these tyres, or do I complain and ask for a replacement?
I have Hankooks on my ride, which are the second set. I got them because of the following review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...12-evo-page-10

I liked that they were affordable, had good handling characteristics in the wet, and fit within my budgetary constraints. I had to wait at least 500 miles to burn off the oily substance that accompanies every tire before they started to settle down. I also pumped up the air pressure to 36psi Front/42psi Rear to adjust the ride somewhat after coming off of runflats.

My door jamb recommends F:39psi/R:45psi for those with a tendency to drive up to and beyond 100mph, regardless of whether it be runflat or "normal" rubber. I have gladly complied and find that the tires seem pleased with the added pressure. I also run plus+ sizes to give me a bit more sidewall at 235/40F, 265/35R.

In addition, mixing tire brands could result in uneven handling due to the different characteristics of each brand. If you want to dump on them, try a full set of Hankooks front and back to see if there is any significant difference...then report on the results. Otherwise, you're whistling in the dark and will never know how much fun they are to drift...LOL

Just my .02 worth

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
philmots
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

I've got the S1 Evo 2.. Much newer tyre and they're nothing short of fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Maybe I got confused about the pressure and I need to pump them up even further then?

Does it really take that far to 'run them in'
Appreciate 0