E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Problems resetting maintenance using BT tool. Please help. Thanks

07-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Problems resetting maintenance using BT tool. Please help. Thanks

Ok. My service reminder light is on due to spark plugs but I had changed the oil and spark plug 3k miles ago because I don't like to wait for the required maintenance to be due. I usually change stuff on my cars a certain amount of miles. But yea, I tried using the condition based value updating and resetting today via BT tool and it says "cannot connect" or something. I know I can reset it using dash but I want to be able to monitor and change values on the condition based maintenance to keep good record on what needs to be done when its time. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix to this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
da1nonly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjappo View Post
Ok. My service reminder light is on due to spark plugs but I had changed the oil and spark plug 3k miles ago because I don't like to wait for the required maintenance to be due. I usually change stuff on my cars a certain amount of miles. But yea, I tried using the condition based value updating and resetting today via BT tool and it says "cannot connect" or something. I know I can reset it using dash but I want to be able to monitor and change values on the condition based maintenance to keep good record on what needs to be done when its time. Anyone else have this problem or know a fix to this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
sorry i can't help u with ur bt scan problem, i don't have one yet...but where can i find a general mile based service table, cuz i'd like to do the same and since i'm out of warranty don't plan on going to a dealership unless i have to
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

There is a DIY on here on how to reset the maintenance indicators without using a BT scanner. I have done it many times and it works very well. Just search the DIY section.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

OP: Contact the BT people http://www.bavariantechnic.com/ please post an update so we can all learn from this. Thanks.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjappo View Post
This is from the sticky somewhere. I copied it to Word and saved it as a file, works perfect.

Guys I looked everywhere (maybe not hard enough) for a DIY service reset for E90 but couldn`t find one. So decided to try the E60 DIY which wasn`t too far off. I realize most cars are still under warranty but I will use this to replace my own brake pads and micro filter instead of being fleeced by the $dealers.

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to disappear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, it’s done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.

Pay atention to what your resetting, not responsible!

Sorry for the re-post guys...
2014 X5 50i M-Pkg
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

^ OP said he knew how to reset it at the stalk so I didn't bother posting the video to reset it, but since you want to know how to reset it using the stalk, here you go http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360706

By the way, it was on the first page of the DIY section on this forum, so you have horrible searching skills.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0