E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Spark plugs won't come out

12-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
Been using aluminum heads for 20 years, NGK plugs usually also. Anti-seize is conductive. I will continue to use a thin film of anti-seize on a few of the threads for the rest of my engine building life.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #24
easy66
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, mine is 328i so it doesn't require a thin wall spark plug socket. I used a regular 5/8 spark plug using the DIY post from this forum. I ended up taking my car to my indy shop since I didn't want to risk breaking spark plugs. I did turn my wrench counter-clockwise...and it didn't move. So I have no idea why spark plugs weren't coming out. Indy shop ended up replacing spark plugs for me and i replaced coils by myself. I replaced all 6 plugs with NGK and replaced Cylinder 3 and Cylinder 5 ignition coils!

Thanks a lot everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:59 PM   #25
chrislemon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330ci bmw

Spark plug removal

I don't think I am hijacking a post since it has been years since there has been activity in the thread unless I am to make a new post?

Now I am getting frustrated so I thought I best eat humble pie and ask for help before it gets worse.

I changed out all the spark plugs except one. I have one that I can turn a couple turns and after a bunch of grinding, like the threads are full of rust, it no longer turns. I heated it up and tried again only to get one extra turn out of it. I sprayed WD40 down the hole and let it sit. I tried again with no further success. I repeat the spray and try again to no avail. Now I can't start the car. I suspect it is because I have too much WD40 in the cylinder

How do I get the stupid plug out of the hole? How do I remove the WD40?

Latter I'll ask if it is okay if I buy a square headed coil when the remainder has round headed coils? I have a coil in transit.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 02:34 AM   #26
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislemon View Post
I don't think I am hijacking a post since it has been years since there has been activity in the thread unless I am to make a new post?

Now I am getting frustrated so I thought I best eat humble pie and ask for help before it gets worse.

I changed out all the spark plugs except one. I have one that I can turn a couple turns and after a bunch of grinding, like the threads are full of rust, it no longer turns. I heated it up and tried again only to get one extra turn out of it. I sprayed WD40 down the hole and let it sit. I tried again with no further success. I repeat the spray and try again to no avail. Now I can't start the car. I suspect it is because I have too much WD40 in the cylinder

How do I get the stupid plug out of the hole? How do I remove the WD40?

Latter I'll ask if it is okay if I buy a square headed coil when the remainder has round headed coils? I have a coil in transit.

Chris
It isn't likey too much WD40 made it into the cylinder. If it got past the spark plug threads it likely got past the rings. Also if it's just one cylinder with WD40 the car should still start and maybe misfire on that cylinder for a bit. Double check your coils and make sure they're all seated correctly.

As for the stuck spark plug, I ran into this a few months ago. I thought I was going to rip the threads out of the head. I got a half turn then it started binding. So instead of forcing I used PB baster to soak it for a few hours. WD-40 might work but isn't a good penetrating oil. I've had good success with PB blaster but I hear Kroil is even better. Then after the soak, you just have to go back and forth a lot. Unscrew a bit then screw back in, then back out, and repeat. Eventually it gets to a spot where you can remove it completely. I was afraid to do it at first but there's a YouTube video of a guy doing it on a E90 which assured me the sounds I heard while loosening it were normal and not ruining the threads.

Worst case you mess up the threads and have to install a time-sert insert, a bit of extra work but not a big deal.

Last edited by lowrydr310; 10-26-2023 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 3
PhaseP1007.00
Mike K322.00
      10-26-2023, 09:50 AM   #27
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Easy, if you're not showing misfires, changing your plugs isn't a medical emergency.

As was suggested, use penetrating oil and wait, and wait, and wait. Also, sometimes to loosen, you have to slightly tighten.

Also, your problem may be that the plugs you're trying to remove may have been overtightened and are now stuck. If so, you're in deep, deep do-do!

Finally, you may want to take it to a shop, tell them your problem, and see what they can do for you.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 10:30 PM   #28
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinstockman View Post
Also, your problem may be that the plugs you're trying to remove may have been overtightened and are now stuck. If so, you're in deep, deep do-do!

Not too deep. Nothing a bit of time, patience, and a time-sert couldn't fix!

Even then, penetrating oil and the tighten then loosen technique will likely work even on overtightened plugs without damaging the threads.

Modern metallurgy is pretty cool. This isn't a 5.4L Ford Triton we're talking about. If that were the case then I'd be cursing and suggesting you run to someone else and pay them to deal with this problem. (they're notorious for having problematic spark plugs that snap out and leave the threads stuck in the head. don't ask me how I know)
Appreciate 1