E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Car cover

09-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI, 03 Wrangler Sport

Car cover

First let me say, I am posting a new thread because the search function will not work and I need an answer on this question. After much debate between me and myself, I have decided that I have to get a car cover. I travel two to three weeks out of the month and the kids in my parking garage think my dusty car is the perfect place for budding artists to draw. That said, I know that there are problems with different car covers so I am asking for some opinions on a good indoor one to get. Also, I will be moving back to the US in 7 months, would I be better off getting a more expensive outdoor one so I don't have to buy a new one when I get back? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I have a 335 and I will be getting a car cover. The one that I will be getting is the Weathershield car cover. My car will be in a garage about 80% and out side 20%. This cover is soft enough to work just fine inside. Out side is where it will shine. Your case I would buy a cover that works for both in and out side.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
what's the difference between a $50 no-name-brand waterproof cover on ebay, and those $300 bmw covers?
      09-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

real simple...what they are made of.....material. I have seen what happens with the cover you buy from Walmart. The fit is not good. In wind the cover movers all around. A good cover fits YOUR car much better. If it is only for inside you might get a way with a cheap cover. Out side I will pay the extra for a good cover.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

The BMW covers are very snug. I have had to put a few on, and im sure the materials are very good as well.
      09-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
theDude
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Crappy covers can start to deteriorate while they are on your car, leaving residue in the form a chalky white powder. Pretty much will defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

Definitely stay away from dark colored cheap-o covers if you have a light car, they can transfer dye.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude View Post
Crappy covers can start to deteriorate while they are on your car, leaving residue in the form a chalky white powder. Pretty much will defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

Definitely stay away from dark colored cheap-o covers if you have a light car, they can transfer dye.

California Car Covers has a good selection of high quality covers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
daveyg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90

Garage List
07 335i sedan  [0.00]
2006 e90  [0.00]
Buy the oem cover you wont be disappointed. I have one and love it snug fit and doesnt scratch the surface!
      09-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyg View Post
Buy the oem cover you wont be disappointed. I have one and love it snug fit and doesnt scratch the surface!
Just be sure you never put the cover on a dirty car.

I have a California Car cover from my previous car (Lexus SC300). Discovered today that it is an almost perfect fit for the E93, even the mirror pockets are in the right place. I keep the car covered in a heated garage in Manhattan. I was able to keep the Lexus in showroom (almost) condition for 15 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My problem will be that I just bought a townhouse in DC without a garage. I will have no choice but to store it outside. I would be willing to pay almost anything but convincing my wife about the value of a 300 dollar cover over the same one from Wal-Mart for 50 is the problem. I've heard good things about Cali covers though...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

I have the Coverking Stormproof car cover and found it to be the best among all others I have used before. It's extremely light but provide a snug fit, yet very breathable and will withstand heavy rain with minimal wetness underneath Not to mention, the cover is uncoated/untreated so you can throw it in the washer anytime. It's so good, I use it everyday while I am at work
      09-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
sapperelite
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Another question I had, when you put the cover on at work, do you have any problem with the hood and exhaust being hot? Thanks for the advice on the coverking, it keeps turning up in my search engine when I type quality car cover. Maybe I will just order it and take the reprimand from my wife...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 02:41 AM   #13
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapperelite View Post
Another question I had, when you put the cover on at work, do you have any problem with the hood and exhaust being hot? Thanks for the advice on the coverking, it keeps turning up in my search engine when I type quality car cover. Maybe I will just order it and take the reprimand from my wife...
No problem with the hood, the material for the weatherproof cover is pretty tough and can withstand even the Arizona desert sun without fading. As for exhuast I try not to cover that portion at all
      09-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #14
doc1911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sold my 335i and looking

I went with the OEM and have been happy. I am in the military and deployed for a while. I have had the car cover on for 3 mo. at a time without a problem.
Appreciate 0