E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Touring (E91) Rear Wiper Rubber Refill

12-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Touring (E91) Rear Wiper Rubber Refill

Hi. A very simple DIY-type picture-book for the group. Simple enough it hardly needs a DIY, but I didn't know how to do it until I did it... so here it is.

Looking for the same solution, I read a few posts from peeps looking for wiper-refill help. I ended up buying inexpensive OE refills from Tire Rack for the front wipers (added it to an existing pending order for no-extra-shipping $), but the rear wiper was much harder to find and fairly expensive when I did find it, expecially if you add shipping, especially to Canada. So I went the Rubber Refill route instead.

The rear wiper rubber is very different in design from the front, which makes it easier to refill as the rear rubber is more generic. I just bought a $6 refill (for two rubbers), cut one to size, wha-boom. New wiper. One spare. Easy Peasy.

I have laid out a picture-story-book of the steps I took in case anyone is interested. (Insert standard "I'm not responsible if you try this yourself and destroy your car or lose a finger etc etc" disclaimer - the following steps simply worked for me, and are fyi. Vehicle in question is a 2008 328xi [E91] - I have no idea how similar it is to any other model.)

NOTE: I also added a bit of wool-wax type penetrating/water wicking lube to the joint for good measure before re-inserting the blade, for good measure. Be careful not to get any goop on your blade or windshield.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0