E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please Help Me Chose My First Bmw!

05-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #67
Co55mic
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
If what you truly want is a 335i, then save up for it. You will hate yourself for being impatient and getting a car you didn't really want.
Good advice, other than buying property, you won't spend big money like this. Would you buy a house in a rush?
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #68
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Back to the OP. Never make a large purchase without substantial research. When you are in a rush to buy that's how you end up making poor financial decisions. Take your time to do your homework.
This comment has been made by a number of people and has saved me thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #69
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co55mic View Post
Good advice, other than buying property, you won't spend big money like this. Would you buy a house in a rush?
Never.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #70
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
Or look up infinti g35/g37(g37 has 335i performance for 328i money) friend gots a g37 coupe it's pretty nice and comes with Nissan reliability. or get an older BMW, I had a e39 528i for 5k sold it for 5k before I got my 335i.
Do you have any specifics on the comparison? That would be great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #71
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
You should get a 325. It will be more reliable than a 335i. And even more importantly, at 16 years of age, you need to get some driving experience before you jump into a 335i. It's not a car for a 16 year old to drive unless you are one of those rare kids who is very responsible and will not be speeding or driving recklessly. Most 16 year olds aren't.
I feel that I am quite responsible, but than again that's coming from me so... I think that if I'm going down the path of a lease than I would have to be extremely careful so if I get a more powerful car and I would be a good amount more careful than buying one flat out because to me the car wouldnt even be mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #72
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Fanatic View Post
If you've saved up this money yourself for a first car, it's hard to justify a later-model BMW unless you have at least $2,000 for first year repairs/maintenance and a definite way to replinish that for following years. The 325i does sound like a good plan to me for a few reasons, primarily due to its incredibly proven track record as a bulletproof car. Secondly, the prospective (albeit expensive) one is RWD with a 6 speed, meaning there are some inexpensive but effective ways to improve performance as you grow into the car. (A 330-type 3 stage manifold along with an AA tune will have you exceeding 330 performance, and from there an AT car's diff and AA headers should have you plenty satisfied with performance at least for a while.) Tons of straight-line capability in the car you use to first grow your driving ability isn't as great as it seems no matter how much better you drive than the "oops, did I hit something!" drivers you know; I learned that with my first car. Maintenance costs also shocked me, so over-budget--it'll get old with BMW parts costs and complexity discouraging DIY...

Good luck with the search and sorry for N52 rhetoric! I would probably go 325 if I were looking for an E90 at any budget under $20k because you'll find a very good deal on a good one and have plenty left over to add ~60 crank HP reliably (really) and the mods you need to make it stop and handle better than it goes. Okay, I'm finished now.
Things is since I'm most likely leasing (possibly financing) I wouldn't be able to do much, possibly a wrap, new exhaust, and an intake system if I'm lucky?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #73
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OP, these sentences right here tale telling and indicate you are heading down a rabbit hole. You've save up money for a car, and you are going to get a "summer job" to help buy the car. Cars are not a one-time purchase thing like a toy, they keep needing money as long as you use it. Maintenance, fuel, repairs, registration, maintenance, repairs (did I already write that?), and maintenance and repairs. BMWs need more maintenance and repair than the typical car and the repairs are more expensive than a typical car. You need steady income to own a BMW. I'd suggest you get through school, whatever level that will be, get a real job (not a summer job for a 16 year old), and then satisfy your thirst for a BMW. Either that or start learning how to repair the car and perform the maintenance yourself, which BTW takes a few thousand dollars in tools and a decent work space.

Owning a BMW at 16 is not going to impress anyone if you can't afford to own it. If your parents are against you buying a BMW, then I suggest listening to them; they know better. The first time the car breaks and costs hundreds more than what your parents expect it to cost, you'll be in a world of hurt and your relationship with them will change; it's not worth it over a 10-year old car with the BMW Roundel on it.

Good luck.
I work on weekends also, the summer job is my time to save up and cover my costs + extra for emergencies/ services. Honestly, I know I sound like a little kid trying to impress all his friends or something but cars are my thing and I am a complete enthusiast. I could care less what I am driving if I love it. Unfortunately BMW put me in the trap and I have fallen in love with their cars (excluding supercars haha if only). Also my parents said they wont pay for anything on the car its completely my responsibility. If I cant cover it that it has to go away.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #74
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongsc View Post
I hope you meant meticulous. Or you'll have more than the BMW gremlins to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #75
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 30i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian View Post
Things is since I'm most likely leasing (possibly financing) I wouldn't be able to do much, possibly a wrap, new exhaust, and an intake system if I'm lucky?
Ah, I see. How would you lease a MY2006 car? I didn't know that was possible. I understand voiding lease agreement concerns, although I don't think leasing is as financially justifiable as many would have you believe. Probably skimmed the thread without paying enough attention...

A 330i is by no means a slow car for a stock sedan, though. Keep in mind that "slow car fast" is a lot more rewarding than "fast car slow," and driving a fast car at its limits, esp. in proper conditions, is a rare opportunity for most and is otherwise unadvisable. Point is, buy what suits your needs now and can be adapted to satisfy you later on--hence the factory-detuned 325i

(Last obvious thing: be sure to drive all considerations because torque and revs suit different tastes and uses)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #76
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see. How would you lease a MY2006 car? I didn't know that was possible. I understand voiding lease agreement concerns, although I don't think leasing is as financially justifiable as many would have you believe. Probably skimmed the thread without paying enough attention...

A 330i is by no means a slow car for a stock sedan, though. Keep in mind that "slow car fast" is a lot more rewarding than "fast car slow," and driving a fast car at its limits, esp. in proper conditions, is a rare opportunity for most and is otherwise unadvisable. Point is, buy what suits your needs now and can be adapted to satisfy you later on--hence the factory-detuned 325i

(Last obvious thing: be sure to drive all considerations because torque and revs suit different tastes and uses)
Makes sense, and no I did do my best to thoroughly read every comment I appreciate all the help I can get. Every post is dramatically swaying my opinion! Now I want to get a 325i and work on that do peruse a much more awarding experience with the car where I can work on it as much as I want... To go that route are you suggesting that I now buy the car flat out or do a finance/ lease?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #77
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense, and no I did do my best to thoroughly read every comment I appreciate all the help I can get. Every post is dramatically swaying my opinion! Now I want to get a 325i and work on that do peruse a much more awarding experience with the car where I can work on it as much as I want... To go that route are you suggesting that I now buy the car flat out or do a finance/ lease?
I was saying I didn't pay attention myself (sorry abou that, doing this on my phone so I'll be unclear)! And yeah the 325i project is one I've been thinking about more and more recently, as I'd like a rev-happy car again with a straight six. Not saying you should buy a first car with the express purpose of modding... but I think that would be a fun experience all the same. In this case, I'd certainly buy outright. From a practical standpoint, at least you can spend your money over time to satisfy your performance/viscerality (?) needs along with the mod bug while not emptying your wallet from the get-go and risking financial security -> independence.

Last edited by NA Fanatic; 05-03-2015 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #78
stewey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT

+1 for 325i and buy it outright. You would lose much more money to depreciation on a newer car than to maintenance on a clean 325i.

If you are anything like me you will enjoy having a car that you can tinker with.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #79
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was saying I didn't pay attention myself (sorry abou that, doing this on my phone so I'll be unclear)! And yeah the 325i project is one I've been thinking about more and more recently, as I'd like a rev-happy car again with a straight six. Not saying you should buy a first car with the express purpose of modding... but I think that would be a fun experience all the same. In this case, I'd certainly buy outright. From a practical standpoint, at least you can spend your money over time to satisfy your performance/viscerality (?) needs along with the mod bug while not emptying your wallet from the get-go and risking financial security -> independence.
Im just afraid of cost for things like services (that I wont be able to complete myslef) and emergencies that need immediate servicing. If I finance a 335i I would be able to have 3/4k sitting for things like services and if I get the 335i I wont need to do much modding, maybe just a jb4 tune and intake and possible a new exhaust if I save up enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #80
NA Fanatic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Im just afraid of cost for things like services (that I wont be able to complete myslef) and emergencies that need immediate servicing. If I finance a 335i I would be able to have 3/4k sitting for things like services and if I get the 335i I wont need to do much modding, maybe just a jb4 tune and intake and possible a new exhaust if I save up enough.
Not to go into pseudo financial advisor mode and talk out of my ass here, but I would advise strongly against financing. I'd avoid it at any age (that's not so possible or critical), especially at yours or even mine (right now it is). If you finance a 335i vs buy a 325i, you'll be paying for the money you use. The more you use, the more you pay to use it. If you finance, down payment and subsequent installments would be the #1 priority and it's extra stress added to all that you already deal with. You might have college coming up depending on your plans, and the financial implications of that on a monthly basis are significant. A 335i is more cost upfront and more for running costs. Add repairs and fuel to a tuned one. Then there's the money that simply disappears and trickles up to bank execs when you pay interest. Point is, don't tie yourself to payments when you really shouldn't; the shackles that people wear in the 21st century are debts IMO. That's not to say I'm not being melodramatic, but I wouldn't consider using credit like that before a stable job--let alone as a minor--on anything less than subsistence.

Just to give some personal experience here, my first car is about as fast as a 335i stock (cost about a third as much) and even still I wish I could do more than lightly ease into the gas most of the time. A stock 325i would encourage me to row through the gears and hear that motor howl a lot more, and that's what it's all about. Then repairs are cheaper and farther between, I can own it, and I can make it my own as I grow into it. There's a massive MOAR PWR attitude on the web and it's unfortunate... cars like the NA6 bavarians have faded into obscurity as a result. Anyways I'm getting off topic now; but I think in all likelihood, you would end up regretting financing your first car-and a high maintenance one-a lot. It could become a matter of damage control quite quickly. Remember, you run out of money on your car and it will sit in the garage for a while in case something goes wrong (not too likely on a 325i). The bank's car? It's been towed off and your mods and TLC with it! Besides, there's nothing like having a special car, something that you've taken and evolved along with you as a driver and enthusiast. That's what's great about ownership and the community.

Last edited by NA Fanatic; 05-03-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 09:45 PM   #81
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]

As pics go in order

1.OP before posting here for advise and dreaming about BMW

2. OP reading replies

3. OP still conviencing himself to buy used BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #82
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post

As pics go in order

1.OP before posting here for advise and dreaming about BMW

2. OP reading replies

3. OP still conviencing himself to buy used BMW
I love this. This pretty much just sums up my thought process in a nutshell.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 10:51 PM   #83
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to go into pseudo financial advisor mode and talk out of my ass here, but I would advise strongly against financing. I'd avoid it at any age (that's not so possible or critical), especially at yours or even mine (right now it is). If you finance a 335i vs buy a 325i, you'll be paying for the money you use. The more you use, the more you pay to use it. If you finance, down payment and subsequent installments would be the #1 priority and it's extra stress added to all that you already deal with. You might have college coming up depending on your plans, and the financial implications of that on a monthly basis are significant. A 335i is more cost upfront and more for running costs. Add repairs and fuel to a tuned one. Then there's the money that simply disappears and trickles up to bank execs when you pay interest. Point is, don't tie yourself to payments when you really shouldn't; the shackles that people wear in the 21st century are debts IMO. That's not to say I'm not being melodramatic, but I wouldn't consider using credit like that before a stable job--let alone as a minor--on anything less than subsistence.

Just to give some personal experience here, my first car is about as fast as a 335i stock (cost about a third as much) and even still I wish I could do more than lightly ease into the gas most of the time. A stock 325i would encourage me to row through the gears and hear that motor howl a lot more, and that's what it's all about. Then repairs are cheaper and farther between, I can own it, and I can make it my own as I grow into it. There's a massive MOAR PWR attitude on the web and it's unfortunate... cars like the NA6 bavarians have faded into obscurity as a result. Anyways I'm getting off topic now; but I think in all likelihood, you would end up regretting financing your first car-and a high maintenance one-a lot. It could become a matter of damage control quite quickly. Remember, you run out of money on your car and it will sit in the garage for a while in case something goes wrong (not too likely on a 325i). The bank's car? It's been towed off and your mods and TLC with it! Besides, there's nothing like having a special car, something that you've taken and evolved along with you as a driver and enthusiast. That's what's great about ownership and the community.
You have now convinced me to get a 325i. http://www.jordanmotorz.com/vehicle-...8c144d761bccc/
:this is the car I was about to go en-quire about. Fox red seats, dope rims, coupe, twin turbo, n54 engine. Pretty much one step away from a dream m3 imo... but I'll take two steps back from my dream and work hard and tune the life out of my 325 now. The car search begins...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #84
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have now convinced me to get a 325i. http://www.jordanmotorz.com/vehicle-...8c144d761bccc/
:this is the car I was about to go en-quire about. Fox red seats, dope rims, coupe, twin turbo, n54 engine. Pretty much one step away from a dream m3 imo... but I'll take two steps back from my dream and work hard and tune the life out of my 325 now. The car search begins...
If I do find a 330i would that be a viable option, or should I stick to the 325i?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #85
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

I find it very believable that a place called "Jordan Motorz" would sell a car with "dope rims".

Oh boy... Well man, we learn better when we get fucked in the ass... So meet your twin-turbo suppository.

When you have kids you'll tell them how your parents knew better...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #86
Arian
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
I find it very believable that a place called "Jordan Motorz" would sell a car with "dope rims".

Oh boy... Well man, we learn better when we get fucked in the ass... So meet your twin-turbo suppository.

not trying to be rude, but now I understand your previous comments on my forum about not being liked. I totally respect your opinion, and all but I think your looking way to critically into things and that's coming from a 16 year old. I like the suppository innuendo you threw in there though. My do know better and told me that its not the smartest choice by a long shot, but they also understand at the same time that I have specifically been saving my money for a very very long amount of time for only a BMW and now that I'm in a price range where I could possibly afford one they aren't flat out telling me no.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 11:25 PM   #87
Douche
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post

not trying to be rude, but now I understand your previous comments on my forum about not being liked. I totally respect your opinion, and all but I think your looking way to critically into things and that's coming from a 16 year old. I like the suppository innuendo you threw in there though. My do know better and told me that its not the smartest choice by a long shot, but they also understand at the same time that I have specifically been saving my money for a very very long amount of time for only a BMW and now that I'm in a price range where I could possibly afford one they aren't flat out telling me no.
Dude you don't have to like me. Heck, you're in an age where you may even not like your parents.

Used cars come with a rule: you have to have the cash to do a preventative maintenance after you buy them, and that costs a few thousand dollars. If you saved enough just for the car, you won't make it. The other rule is having cash to maintain them afterwards. Especially cars that are so expensive to maintain and come with such an "unknown" factor regarding its reliability (especially when you know nothing about them, being you are buying used from a ghetto shop).

Particularly we couldn't care less how enthusiast you are. I am a plane enthusiast, I don't own an Airbus A380.

But I said what I said, and I really do believe we sometimes are too hard headed to learn from others or from reason. We have to take the fall to learn ourselves.

I sincerely hope you don't, but if you do, it will be a good lesson. And you're young, it's not the end of the world, plenty of time to recuperate after that.

Click ignore on my profile if you don't like what I have to say.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2015, 11:32 PM   #88
stewey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT

Quote:
If I do find a 330i would that be a viable option, or should I stick to the 325i?
Yes, the 330 and the 325 have the same N52 engine (just a different intake) and the maintenance should be the same.
Appreciate 0