E90Post
 


Motormavericks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Built My Way's Avatar DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)
Built My Way
12-23-2012
DIY – Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission) NOTE: This DIY may be used on other 335i model years and on xi models as well (part numbers may differ).

UPDATE (Feb 16, 2014): BavAuto has put together a great video of the procedure which can...
  #176  
By Built My Way on 05-10-2014, 07:58 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I just replaced the water pump in the car.....works great and the BavAuto DIY helped immensely! Only issue is that when they ask you to remove the power steering line bolts to move them out of the way (item 4 in the drawing below) I stripped the rubber thingy that separates the power steering lines from, I think, the chassis. The bolt (number 4) goes right through this rubber piece and there are two of them.

Can someone tell me what this part number is for the rubber thing? It's not in any drawings I can find.

Thanks a ton!!!
I can't find a diagram listing the part number either. Try posting the question on the General E90x forum. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
By 3.1L Z on 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I just replaced the water pump in the car.....works great and the BavAuto DIY helped immensely! Only issue is that when they ask you to remove the power steering line bolts to move them out of the way (item 4 in the drawing below) I stripped the rubber thingy that separates the power steering lines from, I think, the chassis. The bolt (number 4) goes right through this rubber piece and there are two of them.

Can someone tell me what this part number is for the rubber thing? It's not in any drawings I can find.

Thanks a ton!!!


http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...43&hg=32&fg=20

This is a better view...it's the "rubber isolater" he talks about at the 3:10 in this video:



I did the same thing. The part number is the entire hose unit.
I tied it together with a large hose clamp.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
By takrdown on 05-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks guys. $230 isn't worth it for that piece...I'll just see if I can fabricate something myself then.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
By joekitch on 05-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
hmm, since this is sort of the DIY waterpump mecca...

has anyone here considered hacking together a cooling system for the water pump's electronics? since that's what fails
possibly some small fans that blow across the pump's backside and keep temperatures down? or some kind of simple liquid cooling system like what's on a high end gaming PC?
Reply With Quote
  #180  
By 3.1L Z on 05-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I was going to open up the old pump to see what failed but just tossed it since I was so sick of doing this freaking job!
Reply With Quote
  #181  
By Built My Way on 05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1L Z View Post
I was going to open up the old pump to see what failed but just tossed it since I was so sick of doing this freaking job!
Haha! I did the exact same thing. I should have kept it until I had some time to focus again. I did notice that the plastic cowling was cracked but not sure of the condition of the impeller.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
By Ch3ss on 05-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Haha! I did the exact same thing. I should have kept it until I had some time to focus again. I did notice that the plastic cowling was cracked but not sure of the condition of the impeller.
Did everything exactly as the video and it took 3 hours on a lift from set up to clean up. Got 90k of my pump so can't complain hope to get the same with the new one. It was also the older style pump with the aluminum thermostat. Planning on breaking it open out of curiosity but from the outside everything looks good.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
By joekitch on 05-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3ss View Post
Did everything exactly as the video and it took 3 hours on a lift from set up to clean up. Got 90k of my pump so can't complain hope to get the same with the new one. It was also the older style pump with the aluminum thermostat. Planning on breaking it open out of curiosity but from the outside everything looks good.
please do crack it open, in particular, check over the electronics thoroughly (and possibly post pix), since everyone seems to imply that's the sole failure point
Reply With Quote
  #184  
By Ch3ss on 05-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
please do crack it open, in particular, check over the electronics thoroughly (and possibly post pix), since everyone seems to imply that's the sole failure point
I think they fail when the electronics get wet due to failing gasket or a crack in the housing. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
By 3.1L Z on 05-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I did notice upon removal a circle gasket that goes around the impeller was in two pieces fwiw..
Reply With Quote
  #186  
By 4doorbmwpower on 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM
amazing write up. you give me the confidence i need to do this... how wet did you get with radiator fluids... i have been wanting to do a flush but might as well do it while i do this. and might as well throw some upgraded turbos in while im at it... yep.. i think ill be in the garage for a few days...
Reply With Quote
  #187  
By Built My Way on 06-28-2014, 04:19 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorbmwpower View Post
amazing write up. you give me the confidence i need to do this... how wet did you get with radiator fluids... i have been wanting to do a flush but might as well do it while i do this. and might as well throw some upgraded turbos in while im at it... yep.. i think ill be in the garage for a few days...
Patience and time is all it takes and a bit of strength when removing the plastic hose connections. There is very little mess as long as you have a catch basin and towels. Just don’t position yourself so that you’re looking directly up at your work while disconnecting hoses. All the best.
PS: Does a turbo upgrade DIY exist? If not you should write one.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
By 4doorbmwpower on 06-28-2014, 01:18 PM
I think i will. there are some but none are all that extensive. I think there is a reason for that. it quite possibly will be a 10 hour job. But we will see ill have 6 hands on the vehicle doing 3 different upgrades so it would be crazy but maybe. Custom making an oil cooler, tranny cool walnut shell blasting, running new meth system components and SS meth lines, possibly an upgraded HPFP, and this all at the same time... sooo yeah lol
Reply With Quote
  #189  
By roadkillrob on 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 73%
Just did mine, DIY was great and BAV Auto videos were very helpful also. Took about 4 hours probably end to end - really isn't too hard, just lot's of stuff in the way and it is fidly especially the top nut.

Just an FYI for you E93 people, you have to remove the front cross braces, 4 bolts each and then pull them out completely to get them out of the way (you actually probably only need to remove the passenger side in actuality.

Hopefully this new and improved (meaning not a POS that breaks on every car) will last the life of the car now - Mine went at 6 years and 18k miles.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
By oceanus on 07-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
plastic connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Patience and time is all it takes and a bit of strength when removing the plastic hose connections. There is very little mess as long as you have a catch basin and towels. Just don’t position yourself so that you’re looking directly up at your work while disconnecting hoses. All the best.
PS: Does a turbo upgrade DIY exist? If not you should write one.
Hi, I'm in the middle of taking the pump out, and get stuck by the bigger hard plastic hose connected to the thermostat. I've already pulled the wire clip out, but just can't pull the hose out. As you said, it is supposed to be a hard part, so any suggestion?
Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote
  #191  
By atinybug on 07-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
It's been a while since I did mine, so I might be remembering this wrong. What I ended up doing was taking off all the other hoses and bolts that connect the pump and thermostat to everything, so it was loose except for that 1 plastic hose with the wire clip. Wiggle the entire thing around so you can see and/or get a better grip on that hose and pull it out.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
By Built My Way on 07-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanus View Post
Hi, I'm in the middle of taking the pump out, and get stuck by the bigger hard plastic hose connected to the thermostat. I've already pulled the wire clip out, but just can't pull the hose out. As you said, it is supposed to be a hard part, so any suggestion?
Thank you very much!
The trick is to position yourself to get the best grip and leverage on the hose. Try grabbing from the front end if you can and then firmly wiggle the hose up and down and side to side. It took me about 5 minutes of this to get it loose. Don't exhaust yourself and only begin pulling when you think the seal has been broken. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
By Grgeorge81 on 08-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
3
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
60%60%60%
3
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
4
Average 67%
In the middle of a waterpump/thermostat replacement on a 2007 335i with 124,000. First time pump has failed to my knowledge (bought CPO in 2011 - Service tech shared service history with me briefly while I was there for walnut blasting intakes, didn't notice any water pump issues). So got a lot more out of the pump than some on this forum apparently, though car has not been driven hard at all - 120 mile round trip daily commute for past 3 years, literally all open highway, so run up to 70mph and cruise for an hour each way. Push it on some twisty back roads on occasion, but has been relatively pampered - I almost feel bad, this car definitely feels like it WANTS to be driven hard sometimes.

Anyway, the reason for posting is that I noticed some metal fragments in the impeller of the water pump after removing. I have been reading than many attribute the premature failure of these pumps to something electronic or possible moisture penetrating into the internal circuitry, or even excessive heat causing electrical failure. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed metal shards in impeller, and if maybe this was actually a mechanical failure of some kind.

Unfortunately I did not take pictures -was late and I was exhausted from wrestling hoses and trying not to swallow antifreeze - but it was a circular piece of soft metal, very thin and pliable (no it isn't from the coolant bottle cap). Anyone else notice this upon removing pump?

And MANY THANKS to OP for the DIY, couldn't have gotten it out without this.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
By E92Moe on 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
For those looking to buy Parts - I just purchased mine for 2007 335i
huskerparts was the cheapest for the Thermostat and Bolts

11 51 7 602 123 bolts x3 $2.97 (26mm)
11 51 7632 426 Waterpump $348.50 + $11.25 Shipping
11 53 7 549 476 (Wahler Thermostat) Was the cheapest from E-bay at $70

Total: $432 USD Shipped to the US ( I am Canadian but go back and forth to the US)
Reply With Quote
  #195  
By Greatdane84 on 10-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the walk through! This and the Bav Motors YouTube video made this a fun job.. If only humans installed the original clamps on the hoses this coulda taken 1/2 the time!

Success is all that matters along with not going to the stealership!
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST