E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got x2 Tickets From One Officer :(

04-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #45
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
Can't we just build a translator into this forum so I don't have to go to Babelfish?
:rocks:

Best. Post. Ever.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #46
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
If you don't want to go to Babelfish, you can try this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
+1

Also, for translation between the normal "old people" version of various languages, Google's translator seems to work better than Babelfish.

Sorry for the -ness of my post.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #47
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What is with this attitude that braking is a better option than steering???

Yes, the OP shouldn't have been driving at 1:30 a.m. with a 9:30 curfew, and it does sound like he was following too closely. BUT...

Steering around trouble is often a much better option than slamming on the brakes and hoping that (a) you have enough time to stop and (b) the giant SUV behind you doesn't plow into you. The key is to check your mirrors frequently and stay aware of where other traffic is at all times so you know where your escape routes are.

So, yes, the OP should have never been in this situation to begin with, but, given that he was, he's way better off in the where he is now than he would be if he had plowed into the back of a car and caused injuries.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #48
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
What is with this attitude that braking is a better option than steering???
Braking isn't better than steering, braking is a better option than steering into oncoming traffic. Steering onto the shoulder is fine. Rear ending someone is better than a head on collision at a much higher combined speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #49
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Braking isn't better than steering, braking is a better option than steering into oncoming traffic. Steering onto the shoulder is fine. Rear ending someone is better than a head on collision at a much higher combined speed.
No argument with that, but it sounds like you're assuming that, just because there was a double-yellow, the OP could not make a determination about whether there was in fact oncoming traffic or not. Given that it was 1:30 a.m., and the lead car had stopped suddenly, the risk he took swerving around the car was probably quite low, and his exposure time for getting hit by an oncoming car was probably very short.

Normally, double-yellows are present when there is insufficient roadway visible ahead to pass a car going, say, 45-55 mph. There may have been plenty of visibility, however, for a safe pass of a car going zero mph.

So, while the OP made plenty of mistakes, it still doesn't sound to me like swerving around the car was one of them.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #50
krapnoj
IG: krapm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Prius

I live in Pa and I got pulled over for speeding near Buffalo, NY. I was heading to Canada and got caught. Anyways, I was just going to pay it and plead guilty b/c its another state. The judge told me that any tickets, fines, or points that you get in the tri-state area is all fair game to hit your record and insurance. So I fought it and now its gone.

2010 E90 SSII M3 -ZPP/ZTT/6MT-Found: 5/2012
Turner Testpipes/Stage 2 - Corsa Exhaust - Bilstein B16 - BBS LM - BBK - AutoSolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #51
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

if u want to fight the tickets how can u do so?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #52
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
if u want to fight the tickets how can u do so?
Instead of paying the fines, request a trial and go in and make an ass of yourself in front of the judge and huge peanut gallery of other kids who drive just like you, waiting for their turn to embarrass themselves. Don't forget, the judge has seen and heard it ALL before, not to mention the fact that he was a kid once himself too. Try to blow smoke up his ass and you'll lose your case as fast as the gavel can come down... wham!!! "Bailiff, next case!!" After you lose, hang around and watch a few more cases and see some of the stupid crap these knuckleheads will try to lay on the judge, with predictible results.

04-08-2007, 11:18 PM   #53
Doccommando
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Evo IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
No argument with that, but it sounds like you're assuming that, just because there was a double-yellow, the OP could not make a determination about whether there was in fact oncoming traffic or not. Given that it was 1:30 a.m., and the lead car had stopped suddenly, the risk he took swerving around the car was probably quite low, and his exposure time for getting hit by an oncoming car was probably very short.

Normally, double-yellows are present when there is insufficient roadway visible ahead to pass a car going, say, 45-55 mph. There may have been plenty of visibility, however, for a safe pass of a car going zero mph.

So, while the OP made plenty of mistakes, it still doesn't sound to me like swerving around the car was one of them.

-Dan

No, he made the mistake of not keeping an assured clear distance between him and the car in front of him.

Swerving over a double yellow is the worst thing you can do in that situation short of actually hitting someone. He's lucky someone wasn't coming the other way.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #54
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

what would have happened if i crossed to the ny border which was just a few meters away? can the nj cop still pull me over when he had lights on in the state of nj?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #55
krapnoj
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
You needz 2 get a lawya and play yo age up so you aint studderin like a small fry when the man cums around. haha. Jus trippin, you gots 2 pay 2 be a playa. Get yo moms leagal on that bitch an dis will be a thing of the past, playa. Or be a ho an get slapped out you map.. haha, aint no playaz ridin the bus, you best come correct.
Absolutley HILARIOUS! Kep dat ish up B-Rad yo, cuz fo sho dis b stret comedy to ol fos lik me.

2010 E90 SSII M3 -ZPP/ZTT/6MT-Found: 5/2012
Turner Testpipes/Stage 2 - Corsa Exhaust - Bilstein B16 - BBS LM - BBK - AutoSolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #56
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doccommando View Post
No, he made the mistake of not keeping an assured clear distance between him and the car in front of him.
As I said, he probably was following too closely. And, if he was, that was wrong and warrants criticism. But steering out of trouble does not warrant criticism.

Quote:
Swerving over a double yellow is the worst thing you can do in that situation short of actually hitting someone.
Exactly, short of actually hitting someone. And that's exactly what we're talking about here, isn't it? If he could have swerved a different direction or stopped in time without getting rear-ended, both those options would have been preferable to crossing a double-yellow. But, the bottom line is, he chose an option that prevented an accident.

Quote:
He's lucky someone wasn't coming the other way.
Maybe he could actually see that no one was coming.

A few month ago, I was driving down a city street and a car came barreling out of a driveway right into my path. No time to stop, I swerved across the double-yellow to avoid him. I actually knew nothing was coming the other way because I was paying attention to my surroundings. If that had earned me a ticket for reckless driving, you better believe I would have fought that in court.

-Dan

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #57
NewBMWDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

I live in the border of NJ and NY (North Bergen). People drive on others people asses all the time. And you shouldn't have any problem stopping in time if you pay attention to the car in front, unless you are talking to you friend in the car and suddenly you see the car in front stopping which might seem he stop suddenly but he actually didn't.

As far as NJ cop pulling you over in NY, yes that can pull you over but they have to call in NY cop to come and give you the tickets or whatever they need to do.

Should watch those World's Wildest Police Videos on Spike TV. :P

06 325i - Standard
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #58
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
WOWWW

SOO MANY UPTIGHT ASSHOLES ON THIS FORUM

"Its your fault for being out past curfew and violating the rules"
STFU!

you guys all talk like this, but i ASSURE YOU that NOONE on this forum always goes 25 on a 25, nor do they go 65 on a 65. If you say you do, then that is complete and utter bullshit.

Everyone needs to relax a bit, we all know that breaking the rules is something that just happens to everyone. So try to relate to the guy and help him out if you can.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #59
easyman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

None of my tickets appeared on my insurance checks. It def does not appear on our NYS licenses.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #60
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
WOWWW

SOO MANY UPTIGHT ASSHOLES ON THIS FORUM

"Its your fault for being out past curfew and violating the rules"
STFU!
And I assure you, you're another irresponsible kid that shouldn't be driving, much less driving a BMW. No adult would respond like that. Sheesh!
      10-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #61
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
as you guys know i am only 17 in the state of ny. i always go down to jersey for gas but the gas station is on the border line of ny and jersey. anyhow today i got gas in jersey was driving home and a guy braked really fast and i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only) to make a long story short, not only did this officer let me go with a warning or a lecture, not one but two tickets. i mean for a first offense of a new record kid...jebus. anyhow i got one for reckless driving and other for touring something can't read his hand writing. basically no more then $200. but was it really my fault?

my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?
the cop is just jealous of someone 17yr old driving a 300hp sports coupe,
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #62
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
thanks for your help guys...i have been driving anytime anywhere as do all the other kids around here. i mean although there is no such thing as a "good" driver i can drive.
I assure you - there is in fact such a thing as a good driver. You're not it. I'd venture a guess and say nobody at 17 is.

For the record though, all those insurance ads about how you're a good driver if you're 65 or older is complete and utter BS as well - the driving talents in this age category concerns me almost as much as in the 16-24 yr old range.

To become a good driver I suggest you take some driving courses (and I'm not talking about the ones you took to get your license, though they'll give you the basics). If we in Canada have them, the US must have a ton of them. For example, BMW offers performance driving courses - I've taken and completed the "perfection" course and I assure you that I by no means consider myself a good driver - just a better driver than the majority. And I know many areas I still need to work on which I focus on daily as a result of these courses.

I'm not pushing BMW courses - take any advanced car control schools. But as others have said - a license is a priviledge, not a right - respect the restrictions imposed on you, they're actually there for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #63
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

Your tickets

"my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?[/QUOTE]

Well, it depends im not sure which state did you get pulled over however for example if you got pulled over in new jersey the police computers dont know if you got a ticket or not only dmv, its the same if you got a suspended license but no warrant for your arrest other state has no record of you that you have a license suspended unless dmv puts a warrant for your arrest. I have a friend who's a cop and he told me if someone's license is suspended they might not be able to see it unless dmv or court puts a warrant for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #64
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

And you should fight the ticket, try to go to court speak to the judge, you are not risking anything you already have the ticket. tell him/her the story and if he/she can reduce it or maybe even cancel it. simple as that
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #65
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
Can't we just build a translator into this forum so I don't have to go to Babelfish?
      10-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #66
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

talk about dragging old threads up from the grave

If one breaks the law, one has to pay the price.

I drove by a policeman this AM doing 60 in a 55, knowing that I could be pulled over. I thought of what I'd say to the police officer if I got pulled;final answer: "You got me." The law is the law, some cops are dicks, others are cool.
Appreciate 0