E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tune with out the tune...throttle map

12-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Tune with out the tune...throttle map

Is there any company that does a throttle mapping alone besides sprint booster? $300 seems like a lot of money for just a remapped throttle. I get it that they have the switchable maps and all, but what if i just want it as fast as possible all the time? I want it to behave as closely to a cable as possible...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
just get a used BMS PBX and use the maps that only remap the throttle
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

A PBX is probably your cheapest bet. 200 used.
      12-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

stupid BMW and drive by wire making me have to spend so much money....
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

I guess my biggest problem even with that is that I still feel like I'm paying for the "performance tune".... I know it's cheaper, but just can't get past it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ88 View Post
I guess my biggest problem even with that is that I still feel like I'm paying for the "performance tune".... I know it's cheaper, but just can't get past it.
Why not just use the PBX on map 3? What's the big deal with not using a tune? AFAIK, the PBX and the sprintbooster are the only options you have if you don't want to use a performance tune.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

My suggestion, by yourself a pair of nice and heavy duty super weighted shoes
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

A used PBX is the best bet for what your looking for
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
My suggestion, by yourself a pair of nice and heavy duty super weighted shoes
I never understand the logic in some people's sarcasm when talking about this topic...It doesn't matter how damn fast you move your foot in these cars...anyways, that rant is over.

I guess I see that a used pbx is really the only option, but I'd like to see someone offer this for like $100. Seems to me putting options out there would be beneficial to anyone. Now, I agree that sprint booster ruined that hope for anyone seeing as they charge out the yang for it and anyone would be silly to offer for over half off, but I guarantee the market would be created if the price were right.

Hopefully a hacker will figure out what the SB and PBX guys have on that end and offer a home brew package. If I were a computer engineer instead of a mechanical, i'd be all over it!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
robbiec
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Why not spend $400 on a proven tune that will give you increased torque that you can feel throughout the power band?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiec View Post
Why not spend $400 on a proven tune that will give you increased torque that you can feel throughout the power band?
because he doesn't want to spend $400?

The pbx is the only option for what he wants, at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
and it appears that the OP is too cheap to buy a used PBX
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
and it appears that the OP is too cheap to buy a used PBX
Which was why I suggested buying a pair of heavy shoes, but he did not like it because while he is cheap, he does not want to admit it.

BTW different shoes will have different throttle feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

no shoes will make the throttle response better...sorry...just isn't physically possible. But if you can some how show me the shoes that will override the electronics of the vehicle, then by all means point me in that direction. More transfered vibrations does NOT equal different throttle response.

also, maybe I am cheap, but also maybe I don't want one of these "tunes" that really isn't proven in the long term. Just seems to me that if there weren't a market for what I'm looking for SB wouldn't be in business. It would therefore seem that if someone offered this for a lesser fee it would be much more widely accepted. I agree for the price of the SB you might as well get a PBX, my point is I dont feel the SB should cost what it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
no shoes will make the throttle response better...sorry...just isn't physically possible. But if you can some how show me the shoes that will override the electronics of the vehicle, then by all means point me in that direction. More transfered vibrations does NOT equal different throttle response.

also, maybe I am cheap, but also maybe I don't want one of these "tunes" that really isn't proven in the long term. Just seems to me that if there weren't a market for what I'm looking for SB wouldn't be in business. It would therefore seem that if someone offered this for a lesser fee it would be much more widely accepted. I agree for the price of the SB you might as well get a PBX, my point is I dont feel the SB should cost what it does.
I didn't mean heavy shoes can change the throttle response, rather that if you have heavy shoes, you have a "lead foot" it takes your foot less energy to push the same distance on the pedal, so if you keep up with your regular foot action, it will have more throttle push. Your sitting position can make a difference too.

Unfortunately there is no such ideal solution, the best option is the PBX with maps 4 to 6 I think, no performance tune only throttle remapping, at least you can try three different maps to see which one suits you better.

Just in case I will ask you, did you try the DS mode to see if you like its throttle response better?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I kinda like my throttle, stock.

My mom's range rover sport is way too sensitive. If I want to accelerate to pass someone, it always downshifts into a lower gear and being supercharged, it f'ing flies.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I didn't mean heavy shoes can change the throttle response, rather that if you have heavy shoes, you have a "lead foot" it takes your foot less energy to push the same distance on the pedal, so if you keep up with your regular foot action, it will have more throttle push. Your sitting position can make a difference too.

Unfortunately there is no such ideal solution, the best option is the PBX with maps 4 to 6 I think, no performance tune only throttle remapping, at least you can try three different maps to see which one suits you better.

Just in case I will ask you, did you try the DS mode to see if you like its throttle response better?
I have tried every DSC mode and full off and it's still lagy in my opinion. I'm sure eventually I'll end up with a PBX, but just see it as another product that they could sell and likely sell a decent number of at the right price...doesn't make sense to me to not offer it.

oh well...either way, if I had the means there would be another product on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #18
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have tried every DSC mode and full off and it's still lagy in my opinion. I'm sure eventually I'll end up with a PBX, but just see it as another product that they could sell and likely sell a decent number of at the right price...doesn't make sense to me to not offer it.

oh well...either way, if I had the means there would be another product on the market.
I'm telling you bro, the PBX is the closest thing to what you're looking for out there at the lowest price. You won't regret getting one.

Maybe you could get a used sprint booster?

Also, delete your charcoal filter and get a drop in filter and scoops if you want to modify your intake at a lower price. Doing this will also help your throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Quote:

ya changing the dsc does nothin for throttle sensitivity. That is just traction/stability control so clearly you see no difference. None of our cars have a sport button that changes throttle mapping.

And how cheap can you be-200 bucks for what you are looking for in a pbx with 3 different throttle settings to choose from-how do you know which one you will like--this offers you 3 to choose.

I hate cheapskates to this degree. Also sorry to say but drive by wire is not the issue-it is the programming. With the right program drive by wire is much quicker response-its just stock bmw programming sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
BigZ88
Cap'n Winky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
ya changing the dsc does nothin for throttle sensitivity. That is just traction/stability control so clearly you see no difference. None of our cars have a sport button that changes throttle mapping.

And how cheap can you be-200 bucks for what you are looking for in a pbx with 3 different throttle settings to choose from-how do you know which one you will like--this offers you 3 to choose.

I hate cheapskates to this degree. Also sorry to say but drive by wire is not the issue-it is the programming. With the right program drive by wire is much quicker response-its just stock bmw programming sucks
please explain how any drive by wire system can be QUICKER than a direct linked cable?....

you hate me for being economical...I hate you for just sucking it up and accepting what is available and not pushing the market to expand. Get in line and follow what everyone else is doing...but let those of us who are curious about different ideas and possibilities push manufacturers to find better and smarter parts and solutions. Unfortunately outside the E30/E36 crowds, this seems to be the norm.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
please explain how any drive by wire system can be QUICKER than a direct linked cable?....

you hate me for being economical...I hate you for just sucking it up and accepting what is available and not pushing the market to expand. Get in line and follow what everyone else is doing...but let those of us who are curious about different ideas and possibilities push manufacturers to find better and smarter parts and solutions. Unfortunately outside the E30/E36 crowds, this seems to be the norm.
Forget about him, he is often up for no good intention
Appreciate 0