E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Fluids Flush

04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Fluids Flush

I am at about 55K on the car and looking to do a major fluids and filter change and was just looking for some help. I have done some searching and just wanted to verify.

Brake Fluid Flush - Found it on bavauto, but can really see how much I need, they sell BMW OEM 12oz. bottles.

Transmission Flush - Is this even necessary?? I have read that BMW says it is for life, but I would rather be safe than sorry. And if I do need to do it, do I need to do all 6 liters or just a good amount? At $20+ dollars a liter hoping changing it all is not necessary.

Spark Plugs - Planning on changing these as well, but not really sure where to shop. I heard you can get them for around $60, but the only place I found them for that price is on eBay, but a little wary about buying items for my engine on eBay.

Microfilter - easy enough.

Anything else I am missing while I am at it? Thanks for any help that i can get!
      04-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

E90Post.com has all the DIY.

Every 60K

Coolant
Transmission/Differential

Every 30K

Brake Flush
Spark Plugs 40K ish or more
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
E90Post.com has all the DIY.

Every 60K

Coolant
Transmission/Differential

Every 30K

Brake Flush
Spark Plugs 40K ish or more
Thanks, found most the do it yourself's, everything seems pretty easy. But definitely overdue for most and didn't think about the differential and the transmission.
      04-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
BMW-MASTER-TECH-NY
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi sdn 6spd Dinan S

Garage List
2007 BMW 328XI  [5.00]
Believe it or not Most of the fluids in your car are lifetime fluids and the spark plugs are good up to 100k you are changing everything prematurely. I don't understand why everyone insist in changing these fluids and plugs you are wasting your money! Especially when each oe plug is about 24$ dollars each
      04-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
momstmg78
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

328 might be 100k but 335 is 45k for spark plugs. Look at owners manual hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-MASTER-TECH-NY View Post
Believe it or not Most of the fluids in your car are lifetime fluids and the spark plugs are good up to 100k you are changing everything prematurely. I don't understand why everyone insist in changing these fluids and plugs you are wasting your money! Especially when each oe plug is about 24$ dollars each
It depends on the definition of "lifetime".
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #7
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momstmg78 View Post
328 might be 100k but 335 is 45k for spark plugs. Look at owners manual hope that helps
I have looked in the manual but all it says is basically wait for the car to tell you.
      04-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well as unreliable as these cars are I would rather be safe than sorry on such big parts for my car.
      04-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep

BMW service will tell you when your do for a Brake Flush, Coolant Flush and Tranny/Differential change, you can choose can skip it, but if there is a failure, they can go back and say you never changed/cleaned or did preventive service, which comes into play on Extended warranties, as they look for any excuse to deny a claim.

You also dont need to change the oil for 15K miles, but most people I know with a Turbo, change it regardless between 5K and 7500, 10K max. That said, when i changed the oil that had 14K miles on it when I bought it, it looked fine, was brown and translucent. As for the coolant, this system preforms at its optimum with new fluids, 60K is a lot of miles for any coolant, and the Brake Flush is a must in any climate, and the Transmission fluid in a 6MT can be exposed to higher heat levels with higher RPM's. Power Steering flush is not as a big deal, IMO, and can go 100K.

Of course I dont have a warranty, and with 60K miles, I want to keep it running like new,

Last edited by RaceBlood; 04-20-2011 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
Of course I dont have a warranty, and with 60K miles, I want to keep it running like new,
I am in the same boat as you, I am not really arguing the time to do it, becasue I am going to do most of these changes reguardless...my brake mores so, just because the car is telling me it is time. But looking more for good places to shop cheap at and the amount of fluids that I need for each change.
      04-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep

Its very important you use OEM everything-

Tischer online is a great place for your service needs. if you go to a Indy, make sure they only use OEM, and also can reset your computer for the changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I plan on using OEM everything found all the fluids I need and cheap at bavauto.com, but I am not sure how much I need for everything, any ideas?

Transmission
Coolant
Brakes
Differential
      04-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #13
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was talking to my SA today and he said that it could actually be bad to change the transmission fluid, was he full of it? Why else would he said that?
      04-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
You do realize that the BMW Service & Warranty booklet states 100,000 miles for trans fluid change. Since the pan states lifetime and the booklet states 100,000 miles I trust neither and change it more frequently. If you plan on selling the car before 100,000 miles then who cares and leave that problem to the next guy.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

See I am not sure when I plan on getting rid of it, so just going to change all the fluids anyways. Just looking for the amounts that I need.
      05-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #16
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

I assume you have a 335i and not a 3351. Since it is a turbo, weren't your plugs changed at 45,000 miles according to BMW's schedule? If you were under covered maintenance at the time, it would have been a freebie. And the brake fluid change is a 2 year item - mileage is irrelevant.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
335i Pal
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Brought it just before my warranty was up and they didn't mention that it needed it. So not sure why not.
      06-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Dr Zoidberg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Pal View Post
I was talking to my SA today and he said that it could actually be bad to change the transmission fluid, was he full of it? Why else would he said that?

Yes and No,

When fluid in the trans begins to breakdown overtime, ( due to questionable extended maintenance programs) it deposits gunk and coking on the tiny holes and passage ways of the valve body and mechatronic assembly.

Fresh transmission fluid is very high in detergents and dispersant( for the reason of keeping your trans deposit and coking free) . When you put new fluid in it starts to work on the deposits and coking in the trans and loosens it,

These loose pieces float around and can get lodged in valve parts or orifices. Then your trans cant control pressure and you begin to slip and then it dies.

If the trans is new, change it often 30-40k and it will last for a long time. , If its over 80k dont bother,

If the trans is new and the SA said it is harmful, he was being an arrogant prick, or the SA truly believes the bmw lifetime mtx programs is infallible, and deviating in the slightest would be the end of the world.

These transmissions ( 6AT) are pretty much the same technology and parts that transmissions have used for years and years. Hell my French made GM trans calls for Dexron, not very new tech stuff. But somehow BMW found a way to say 100k lifetime change. What is keeping the 90K mile fluid so fresh , bmw pixie dust?? Now I know in the ZF trans it calls for the super duper Lifegaurd fluid and its "made" for extended drain intervals, but there still have to be a little bmw pixie dust keeping the fluid from burning or coking.

Marketing Hype. and to save bmw money in required maintenance!!

Sorry for the rant
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Actually ZF recommends a fluid change @ approx 80k KM under their severe service.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Especially when each oe plug is about 24$ dollars each
I bought 6 oe plugs for $38. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543384
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
F30Mo16
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

So how much brake fluid do you need for a flush???
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
Yes and No,

When fluid in the trans begins to breakdown overtime, ( due to questionable extended maintenance programs) it deposits gunk and coking on the tiny holes and passage ways of the valve body and mechatronic assembly.

Fresh transmission fluid is very high in detergents and dispersant( for the reason of keeping your trans deposit and coking free) . When you put new fluid in it starts to work on the deposits and coking in the trans and loosens it,

These loose pieces float around and can get lodged in valve parts or orifices. Then your trans cant control pressure and you begin to slip and then it dies.

If the trans is new, change it often 30-40k and it will last for a long time. , If its over 80k dont bother,

If the trans is new and the SA said it is harmful, he was being an arrogant prick, or the SA truly believes the bmw lifetime mtx programs is infallible, and deviating in the slightest would be the end of the world.

These transmissions ( 6AT) are pretty much the same technology and parts that transmissions have used for years and years. Hell my French made GM trans calls for Dexron, not very new tech stuff. But somehow BMW found a way to say 100k lifetime change. What is keeping the 90K mile fluid so fresh , bmw pixie dust?? Now I know in the ZF trans it calls for the super duper Lifegaurd fluid and its "made" for extended drain intervals, but there still have to be a little bmw pixie dust keeping the fluid from burning or coking.

Marketing Hype. and to save bmw money in required maintenance!!

Sorry for the rant

Well said..that is why u change fluids frequently..im not buying any of that 100K or lifetime fluid/change stuff..even if it is a waste of money as some say... it buys me something thats priceless..PEACE OF MIND

OP u can buy 335i OEM sparkplugs here..

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro..._term=ZGR6STE2

for brake fluid make sure u go w a high temp brake fluid like ATE Super Racing or Motul..

Oil I use Total Quartz Energy 9000 0w30..its BMW LL01 approved

AT Fluid ..cant help there im MT..
Appreciate 0