E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Got my White Aluminum vinyl for dash pieces, going to give wrapping a shot

09-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Got my White Aluminum vinyl for dash pieces, going to give wrapping a shot

Was down to brushed aluminum and white aluminum and went with the white aluminum vinyl for the interior of a titanium silver with black leather. The vinyl is very similar to the car color and I think it will look pretty good. Have never done a vinyl wrap but have done some upholstering(not really the same but similar is some ways.)
Cant start til the car comes back from the dealership so hopefully Monday I can start on it.
Read some posts for tips and pointers but if anyonehas something that they learned while doing their trim pices please feel free to post the pearl of wisdom whether it is about removing the trim or covering it.
It is a 2007 e92.
The one thing I did want to ask is whether people thought it was worth it to get a trim removing tool kit. I have seen them and was going to get one but wanted to see if people thought it helped
Attached Images

09-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Well if you have the required tools to do this project then the answer is no its not worth getting one, but if you don't then I would advise you stock up on tools.
      09-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Trim removal is pretty straight forward with or without a set of tool. The biggest advantage of the tools is that they are Mage of plastic and won't scratch or chip the trim or other parts of the interior.
      09-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

If I didn't already have the trim tools, I wouldn't wait to buy them. They are useful but a bit too flexible for the trim. If it's the first time they've been removed, you'll be surprised how tight they are in there. If you use a screwdriver or something, make sure you use tape over the tip to reduce the possibility of scratching. Also pry in an area that's less visible in case you do dig in a bit too much. Once you pop the first peg, they'll come out easy.

A couple notes-

Keep track of the inserts that the pegs go in. Sometimes they come out with the pegs on the back of the trim. They can be re-used but you're screwed if you lose them - unless your dealer stocks them.

Get a heat gun. I think mine was about $30. I suppose a hair dryer might work too but you absolutely need the heat. The material is very forgiving but heat is the only way you get that wonderful stretch you need around the complex curves.

Take your time. There's no need to rush, it's not like you're working with glue that dries in 5 minutes or something. You can even reposition to an extent so don't be afraid to fix a wrinkle or bump.

Make sure the surface is super clean and the area you are working in is too. Even a crumb or speck of dirt can get under the vinyl and you will see/feel it. Once it's stuck on the adhesive, even something a thin as a hair will show up and be a pain to get off.

Start with the least visible piece. The rear ones or doors are the least likely to show mistakes. They'll give you practice for doing the pieces that will be under the most scrutiny.

You don't want to leave an excess of material, especially around the corners, but ALWAYS position the edges carefully and measure carefully when your trimming the final edges. One slip of the razor or cutting too much off can ruin an hour's work. Once it's cut and the rest of the piece is set, you're screwed if you're short or your cut is visible.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the great advice!!
Hope to be doing it this week. My biggest concern is removing the trim pieces. I always get nervous working with pices that snap in because sometimes it feel like you are about to break them before they come off.
      09-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Thanks for the great advice!!
Hope to be doing it this week. My biggest concern is removing the trim pieces. I always get nervous working with pices that snap in because sometimes it feel like you are about to break them before they come off.
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-67021.html

Best seven bucks you'll ever spend. Pretty decent quality nylon plastic and they work perfectly for E90 and E92 trim. I did my car with various crap I had around the garage (various plastic tools for painting and such) and it was doable, just a bit of a hassle. I went out and grabbed these before I worked on my brother's car, and let me tell you, world of difference. Makes popping the trim pieces out a cinch.
      09-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
zanye08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650I Coupe Imola Red

One other piece of advice. he only tool I found myself in desperate need of was a needle nose plier. You will NEED this to disconnect the wires going to the main vent (hazard lights, door lock...More important is putting them back in. With pliers it takes 30 secs..by hand you could fiddle around for an hour trying to do it by feel
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quisp, how did this come out? I'd like to see the white aluminum/black interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Looks like a cheap Japanese interior trim. Do not like, but hey, it's your car!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
techie182
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Get heat gun.
Wrapped mine with brushed black aluminum vinyl.
Do you guys use adhesive on edges? My vinyl on edges are starting to lift from trim due to heat/cold temp repeat in the winter. Think its due to thickness of vinyl? Didnt have problem when I had wrapped in carbon vinyl(brushed aluminum feels thicker than carbon vinyl)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I don't really love it myself but wanted to try doing the trim myself and this was a better way to start than using something with a pattern or brushed. With those it is more difficult because you have to line up the pattern and get the grains to match op across the car. I thought this would be a good way to try it for the first time,
It looks ok but not great.(the color) The wrap itself gave me some trouble at the corners and around the vents but I will be able to do a better job next time.

Here are some pics to show the color with the car.
Attached Images

01-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #12
Quisp
United_States
Rep

someone on another site got some samples and put them on his dash to see how they looked. 4 different ones, here is the link.
I think I would go with brushed steel next time

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/attachm...s-dsc_6104.jpg
      01-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

i did brushed steel and even that seems too bright some days. that white is gonna be tough in direct sunlight! looks good and matches the exterior pretty well! For tools, i really just used a taped butter knife. worked just fine. and the needle nose pliers definitely made it faster
      01-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
MDecals
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Slow

I like it!

Your Source For All Things Vinyl!

Official Decals: Bimmerpost | E90post| M3post | F30post

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I like it as well. I think the lighter color with the black interior is nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
mikeisnorml
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Was down to brushed aluminum and white aluminum and went with the white aluminum vinyl for the interior of a titanium silver with black leather. The vinyl is very similar to the car color and I think it will look pretty good. Have never done a vinyl wrap but have done some upholstering(not really the same but similar is some ways.)
Cant start til the car comes back from the dealership so hopefully Monday I can start on it.
Read some posts for tips and pointers but if anyonehas something that they learned while doing their trim pices please feel free to post the pearl of wisdom whether it is about removing the trim or covering it.
It is a 2007 e92.
The one thing I did want to ask is whether people thought it was worth it to get a trim removing tool kit. I have seen them and was going to get one but wanted to see if people thought it helped

OP I have the same color paint and was wondering how close the vinyl you bought actually matched the paint. I'm looking to get some to wrap the bottom side of my side mirrors and possibly make matching headlight reflector overlays. Do you think the color match is really noticeable?

Thanks,
- mike
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #17
Quisp
United_States
Rep

It really isn't that bright with the rest of the interior being black it gives a nice contrast.
As far as using it to match the exterior I am not sure but it is still early here but when the sun comes up I will take a look and also take some better pics of the color close up.
It is pretty close but that is on the inside, having it directly against the exterior color as you are talking about doing may be different.
Give me a few hours so it gets light outside. I can get a better idea in sunlight.
      01-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #18
mikeisnorml
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #19
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Here ya go. I was surprised by how close they do look. I took some in sun, shade, and a coiuple over the headlights so you can decide
Attached Images

01-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #20
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Wow, looks nearly perfectly matched.
      01-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
mikeisnorml
Private First Class
Rep

Is there a 3m part no. For that exact vinyl I'd like to order some ASAP thank very much for the comparison photos!
Appreciate 0