E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 170° CMOS Night Vision Waterproof Car Rear View Camera

12-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
tacaza
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

170° CMOS Night Vision Waterproof Car Rear View Camera

Has anyone installed the Chinese backup camera for E90 and others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Car-Rea...53.m2749.l2649

Question is, has anyone installed this and how complicated is the install?

I have an E90 2011 with Navi, Idrive
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza View Post
Has anyone installed the Chinese backup camera for E90 and others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/170-Car-Rea...53.m2749.l2649

Question is, has anyone installed this and how complicated is the install?

I have an E90 2011 with Navi, Idrive
That ad is deceptive.

You need the emulator, wiring harness, etc.

All they are selling you is the latch camera.

See the treads here about backup camera retrofit for a more complete list of what is involved.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      12-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
That ad is deceptive.

You need the emulator, wiring harness, etc.

All they are selling you is the latch camera.

See the treads here about backup camera retrofit for a more complete list of what is involved.
I don't see your link
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep

There are plenty around:

Here is one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301

Note that you also have to bring lines out to the boot if you do not have PDC already.

The advertisement is only for the latch camera. That is just a small piece of what is required.
The dynamic parking lines also adds more hardware.
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      12-31-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
There are plenty around:

Here is one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301

Note that you also have to bring lines out to the boot if you do not have PDC already.

The advertisement is only for the latch camera. That is just a small piece of what is required.
The dynamic parking lines also adds more hardware.
If you already have PDC do you have to bring any wires to the boot?
What line do you skip?
I assume you still need to bring a video line?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
opjose
Major
Rep

Most of this is covered in the other thread, but there are variations and nuances.

I believe I confused bringing out the wires to avoid the SOS error with a Combox upgrade with the Camera installation as I was going to do both at the same time. The thread indicates PDC is not required with proper coding.

At worst the camera needs to be supplied power from a switched device. This is normally done via the emulator, so you must bring the video and power lines from the emulator to the camera.

With a PDC in place, you may avoid the need to bring power out, but I did not investigate that since my car does not have PDC.

---

I suggest the following: (Note I know that some of this is rhetorical, and you know most of this, but in case anyone is playing along, best to be comprehensive...)

Run a VIN check and make absolutely sure of what is in your car.

Read or glance over the BMW Technical training guides that outline module functions and have cursory wiring diagrams.

Get out a pad of paper and pen for notes, or use a note taking program and go through that entire camera thread I posted the link to.

Start writing down the step by step procedures, coding, etc. that you will follow, as you read through the posts. You will need to amend things MANY times as you read. This will be your own installation plan.

There are some confusing and contradictory posts, but pay particular attention to those that note success with hardware similar to what you have.

Have a coding plan laid out.

Once you get to the end, re-read, particularly page 9 and above and see if there are any changes required to your plan/guide.

Pre-wire what you can, e.g. the Quadlock, or purchase a prewired one (there is a link for an ebay seller that already has the emulator wired into the Quadlock adapter.)

Then tackle the installation.

Anyone who feels like they do not want to take the time to go through all of the posts should have a pro install it for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Most of this is covered in the other thread, but there are variations and nuances.

I believe I confused bringing out the wires to avoid the SOS error with a Combox upgrade with the Camera installation as I was going to do both at the same time. The thread indicates PDC is not required with proper coding.

At worst the camera needs to be supplied power from a switched device. This is normally done via the emulator, so you must bring the video and power lines from the emulator to the camera.

With a PDC in place, you may avoid the need to bring power out, but I did not investigate that since my car does not have PDC.

---

I suggest the following: (Note I know that some of this is rhetorical, and you know most of this, but in case anyone is playing along, best to be comprehensive...)

Run a VIN check and make absolutely sure of what is in your car.

Read or glance over the BMW Technical training guides that outline module functions and have cursory wiring diagrams.

Get out a pad of paper and pen for notes, or use a note taking program and go through that entire camera thread I posted the link to.

Start writing down the step by step procedures, coding, etc. that you will follow, as you read through the posts. You will need to amend things MANY times as you read. This will be your own installation plan.

There are some confusing and contradictory posts, but pay particular attention to those that note success with hardware similar to what you have.

Have a coding plan laid out.

Once you get to the end, re-read, particularly page 9 and above and see if there are any changes required to your plan/guide.

Pre-wire what you can, e.g. the Quadlock, or purchase a prewired one (there is a link for an ebay seller that already has the emulator wired into the Quadlock adapter.)

Then tackle the installation.

Anyone who feels like they do not want to take the time to go through all of the posts should have a pro install it for them.
My car already has rear PDC. The followings are what I need?

- Camera
- Parking Reverse Image Emulator

- Most Quadlock on quadlock Extension

Is the diagram from grzes below correct?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...3&d=1425316156
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep

Yes.

Note that in that thread there is a link for an Ebay listing that sells the emulator already wired to the quadlock.

I wish I had seen that before buying mine!
Appreciate 1
tacaza14.00
      01-04-2018, 02:57 AM   #9
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

Note that in that thread there is a link for an Ebay listing that sells the emulator already wired to the quadlock.

I wish I had seen that before buying mine!
You mean this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271677886583

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
opjose
Major
Rep

Yup that is it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
tacaza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yup that is it.
I think it's not, opjose

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
that's a Retrofit emulator, not a Camera emulator. It's used for installing a CIC in a car that didn't previously have one.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaza View Post
Quote:
Yup that is it.
I think it's not, opjose

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
that's a Retrofit emulator, not a Camera emulator. It's used for installing a CIC in a car that didn't previously have one.
Ok thanks!

I missed the correction you cited.
Appreciate 0