E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 335i coupe in cali that i want!

06-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Coupe

335i coupe in cali that i want!

hi,

Ok so here is the scoop. We all know its real real real hard to come across the 335i coupe that you are looking for with all the color combos and options. The best way is to order yours. but if you dont have the time like me you gotta search and usual settle for something. Well i found a car in california (i live in the northwest) and it is the EXACT car I want to a T. Now does anyone know if it is possible to have my dealer here try to get a dealer trade with that dealer in california? or is this not even possible? What do you think? thanks in advance.

CP
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Yikes! That's gonna be tough IMO. Here's why: like you said the car is hard to get, so unless you're willing to pay them close to MSRP, they'd probably wont even bother with it. That is assuming the CA dealer is willing to give up a car that they could easily sell.

Just buy the car in CA and drive it back to OR (or truck it back). You guys dont pay sales tax there right?

Forgot to mention that you cant drive in CA unless the car is registered here or if you have OR plates on the car.

Last edited by BMW F22; 06-14-2007 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ya no sales tax in oregon. if i bought it in cali, I wouldn't have to pay the sales tax right?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
ilshim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpatel View Post
ya no sales tax in oregon. if i bought it in cali, I wouldn't have to pay the sales tax right?
it's it a matter of where the car will be registered in?
      06-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckpatel View Post
yes. However, since your car will be registered in OR, you wont be able to drive in CA until you get the plates from OR or have dealer plates on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

car will be registered in oregon. ya i dont mind waiting for the plates to drive it. its well worth the wait esp if i can get the EXACT car I want.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapesta View Post
i doubt it.. i was in the same shoes. what happens is dealership are shady why would they send out a product that they can make money with to another dealership? some dealership even hide their inventory from others.
you can't hide inventory...all cars are in the system until it's sold.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well sometimes it can be hard to sell cars that have very specific features like the one i have had the saddle brown leather
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

*like the one i WANT (not have)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
You CAN drive cars in CA without plates. Look at all the new cars on the road. You just get a piece of paper in your windshield and presto you're in! Come down here buy it and drive it back. It would be easier and quicker. And you could get a little vacation out of it and a nice break-in.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
You CAN drive cars in CA without plates. Look at all the new cars on the road. You just get a piece of paper in your windshield and presto you're in! Come down here buy it and drive it back. It would be easier and quicker. And you could get a little vacation out of it and a nice break-in.

I see what you're saying but from what I know, the you cant drive the car here since you're not registering the car in CA. You must at least have a registration for your home state in order to drive the car here.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I'm sure they must have a way to give you a temp registration. There's got to be people that buy cars on the border all over CA. Isn't there a BMW dealership in Lake Tahoe? Even if there isn't there's got to be other car dealerships. You can't tell me that this has never happened. At the very least I'm sure they can give you a temp CA registration and alert OR that they need to send a full registration but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a standard operating procedure to cover this.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
snohman
Volk Whore
Rep
Drives: nothing

Garage List
i remember reading about a similar situation here...

It seems as though if you buy in California, and plan on driving it in California, you will need to pay the California taxes. Maybe through a courtesy delivery or a salesperson taking it or having it shipped across state lines for you would be the only way around this. I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps a quick call to the CA DMV might help?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ya i am gonna talk to the dealer and figure something out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #15
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

You pay sales tax of where your current residence is and to the state your current reside in. You can purchase the car in CA and drive it back to Oregon with no problems. Your car is insured by BMW for a month's time. It is up to you to register it in Oregon ASAP after purchase.

You can probably look over the interstate commerce act of 1887 for more information.
      06-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
RKP-M6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thnks!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
2002tii
Rep
Drives: Waiting for E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
You pay sales tax of where your current residence is and to the state your current reside in. You can purchase the car in CA and drive it back to Oregon with no problems. Your car is insured by BMW for a month's time. It is up to you to register it in Oregon ASAP after purchase.

You can probably look over the interstate commerce act of 1887 for more information.
Wrong.......if the car is driven on CA roads you will pay CA tax. The only way to avoid is to have it shipped. The car is NOT insured by BMW?? Where did you come up with that?

"Shipments Outside The State - When Sales Tax Does Not Apply. Sales tax does not apply when
the property pursuant to the contract of sale, is required to be shipped and is shipped to a point outside this state by
the retailer, by means of:
1. Facilities operated by the retailer or
2. Delivery by the retailer to a carrier, customs broker or forwarding agent, whether hired by the
purchaser or not, for shipment to such out-of-state point. As used herein the term “carrier” means a person or firm
regularly engaged in the business of transporting for compensation tangible personal property owned by other
persons, and includes both common and contract carriers. The term “forwarding agent” means a person or firm
regularly engaged in the business of preparing property for shipment or arranging for its shipment. An individual or
firm not otherwise so engaged does not become a “carrier” or “forwarding agent” within the meaning of this regulation
simply by being designated by a purchaser to receive and ship goods to a point outside this state. (This subsection is
effective on and after September 19, 1970, with respect to deliveries in California to carriers, etc., hired by the
purchasers for shipment to points outside this state that are not in another state or foreign country, e.g., to points in
the Pacific Ocean.)"

As for getting the car from the dealership in CA unless the Oregon dealer has a car in transit or an available allocation good luck in getting the car. The alternative would be to physically trade a car from CA to OR and vice versa. If this is the case expect the dealer to charge you two way shipping.

Last edited by 2002tii; 06-16-2007 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0