E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Engine Malfunction - Overboost (Logs attached)

03-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 '08 White Sport

N54 Engine Malfunction - Overboost (Logs attached)

e93 2008 AT (10k) miles

I recently had a leak in my radiator and a crack in the exhaust manifold. Took it to a local auto shop. The guy replaced with OEM Mitsubishi Turbos along with replacing the valve gasket.

MODS:
AC Schnizer Catback exhaust
BMS DCI Intake
ER Racing Charge Pipe
CSF Racing Radiator

After he installed the turbos, he notified that under WOT the engine malfunction light comes on and its due to the O2 sensor. I got the sensor replaced today. Did not fix the problem.

The "Engine Malfunction" light turns on under WOT and stays on until the car is turned off and on. Light disappears after the car is turned off.

Even with the light on, the ECU is reporting no Error codes. The mechanic has no clue what to do. What should my next course of action be?

Last edited by mzafar; 03-21-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Plugs or coils are the usual culprits for WOT misfires/engine malfunction problems, but usually you'd also get a misfire code in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

I just had the plugs changed with the turbos. Could be the coils i guess. Would you happen to know if the OBD2 sensors they use at dealership give out more data than simple universal modules?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzafar View Post
Would you happen to know if the OBD2 sensors they use at dealership give out more data than simple universal modules?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Did he show you the cracked exhaust manifold? Interested in this lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzafar View Post
e93 2008 AT (10k) miles

I recently had a leak in my radiator and a crack in the exhaust manifold. Took it to a local auto shop. The guy replaced with OEM Mitsubishi Turbos along with replacing the valve gasket.

MODS:
AC Schnizer Catback exhaust
BMS DCI Intake
ER Racing Charge Pipe
CSF Racing Radiator

After he installed the turbos, he notified that under WOT the engine malfunction light comes on and its due to the O2 sensor. I got the sensor replaced today. Did not fix the problem.

The "Engine Malfunction" light turns on under WOT and stays on until the car is turned off and on. Light disappears after the car is turned off.

Even with the light on, the ECU is reporting no Error codes. The mechanic has no clue what to do. What should my next course of action be?
I don't think there's any way a light was set without a code being stored. What made you suspect O2's?

If it were a CEL, might be O2s, if it's "Engine Malfunction" like you said (1/2 engine light-reduced power) though, don't think O2s will generate that at all, but they might be in a list of codes that come with it after the fact. More often than not, 3100 will generate engine malfunction from a boost control problem (over/under target). Didn't see a JB4 listed in the mods, but any one of its safeties will trigger half-engine light and if autoclear is on, it will erase the codes on restart.

Without logs or actual codes, you're guessing off of 2nd hand information from someone that, frankly, doesn't seem all that adept. If he did VCG and turbos, I'd start there though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
I don't think there's any way a light was set without a code being stored. What made you suspect O2's?

If it were a CEL, might be O2s, if it's "Engine Malfunction" like you said (1/2 engine light-reduced power) though, don't think O2s will generate that at all, but they might be in a list of codes that come with it after the fact. More often than not, 3100 will generate engine malfunction from a boost control problem (over/under target). Didn't see a JB4 listed in the mods, but any one of its safeties will trigger half-engine light and if autoclear is on, it will erase the codes on restart.

Without logs or actual codes, you're guessing off of 2nd hand information from someone that, frankly, doesn't seem all that adept. If he did VCG and turbos, I'd start there though.
I had the JB4 installed on my car previously but it's been removed right now. Just took the car into Dealership and they said its an overboost code. Dealership is also confused as to why that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
RSL
Captain
Rep

New (tight) WGs, DP clamps blocking WG actuator, something up with the solenoids, there are a lot of possibilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
New (tight) WGs, DP clamps blocking WG actuator, something up with the solenoids, there are a lot of possibilities.
Sounds like the car just needs to be in the right hands
Appreciate 1
RSL647.00
      03-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
Sounds like the car just needs to be in the right hands
I spent what little money I had. Ahhh to be young-ish and stupid with money.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Engine malfunction and check engine are two different diagnostics. You won't pull O2 codes with an engine malfunction. Check the fluids, it's saying turn the car off asap!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

That's the first thing, go back and check everything over.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
RSL
Captain
Rep

If it only causes the 1/2 engine light with the JB4 in, good chance it's just one of its safeties. CEL flash count prior to engine malfunction will tell you what the safety is, but JB4 interface, app or log will have it in case you miss it. Codes stored in the DME may be secondary, not necessarily the actual cause.

Unless it was doing it on Map 0 with the JB4 in, I'd clear the codes and do a pull with the JB4 out of the car and see if anything trips. If it doesn't, probably just need to tweak JB4 settings and/or get a BEF if it's a lean safety.

Dealer probably won't be able to duplicate the problem because JB4 was controlling boost, not the DME, but probably wouldn't hurt to have them give the installs done a once-over.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #14
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If it only causes the 1/2 engine light with the JB4 in, good chance it's just one of its safeties. CEL flash count prior to engine malfunction will tell you what the safety is, but JB4 interface, app or log will have it in case you miss it. Codes stored in the DME may be secondary, not necessarily the actual cause.

Unless it was doing it on Map 0 with the JB4 in, I'd clear the codes and do a pull with the JB4 out of the car and see if anything trips. If it doesn't, probably just need to tweak JB4 settings and/or get a BEF if it's a lean safety.

Dealer probably won't be able to duplicate the problem because JB4 was controlling boost, not the DME, but probably wouldn't hurt to have them give the installs done a once-over.
I'm on no JB4 at this point. It's only bolt-ons right now. I'm planning on a JB4. I'm hoping it's just the safeties. Having said that, i got a log and mapped the Intake manifold pressure and the Vacuum data. Log file with more parameters attached as well.

MY DATA LOG

That 15psi on the Intake manifold doesn't make sense to me. Do you think it's a faulty pressure sensor?

Name:  data.PNG
Views: 1606
Size:  139.1 KB
Attached Files
File Type: zip zipExport-2018-03-20_18-57-76.zip (52.6 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by mzafar; 03-21-2018 at 01:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #15
RSL
Captain
Rep

Not sure what you're logging with, but there are 2 MAP sensors: 1 in the intake manifold that reads mostly vacuum up to about 3psig (17.4 PSIA) and the TMAP that reads all boost. If "intake manifold pressure (psi)" is actually PSIA, it pretty much exactly matches Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge (psi). PSIA (absolute) - ambient pressure = PSIG (gauge). Seems to me it's logging the manifold MAP and reporting the same data differently: intake PSIA and boost PSIG, so no, I don't think it's a faulty pressure sensor. If you hit full boost and the intake manifold data doesn't go over ~17.5psi and boost/vacuum doesn't go over ~3psi, we'll know that's exactly what's happening.

If JB4 is out of the car and there's no malfunction warning due to fluids or something critical like that, I'd personally, carefully, do a pull to 4000-4500rpm and see if it pops a light and check logs for AFR, etc. If it's OK, I'd do another to 5000-5500 and then another to 6000 if there are still no issues. I have a feeling it will be fine on stock flash only, but it's just a feeling lol
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #16
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you're logging with, but there are 2 MAP sensors: 1 in the intake manifold that reads mostly vacuum up to about 3psig (17.4 PSIA) and the TMAP that reads all boost. If "intake manifold pressure (psi)" is actually PSIA, it pretty much exactly matches Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge (psi). PSIA (absolute) - ambient pressure = PSIG (gauge). Seems to me it's logging the manifold MAP and reporting the same data differently: intake PSIA and boost PSIG, so no, I don't think it's a faulty pressure sensor. If you hit full boost and the intake manifold data doesn't go over ~17.5psi and boost/vacuum doesn't go over ~3psi, we'll know that's exactly what's happening.

If JB4 is out of the car and there's no malfunction warning due to fluids or something critical like that, I'd personally, carefully, do a pull to 4000-4500rpm and see if it pops a light and check logs for AFR, etc. If it's OK, I'd do another to 5000-5500 and then another to 6000 if there are still no issues. I have a feeling it will be fine on stock flash only, but it's just a feeling lol
Ty for your quick reply I'm logging with a bluetooth and the Torque pro app.

I just logged and I'm getting crazy APR(measured) Spikes. Also logging 17psi on the intake manifold. Log Below:

DATA LOG - click here

I checked the fluids. Oil is topped up. Coolant is up the top line. I did another few pulls. I can't get past 4k RPM. Engine Malfunction (Half Engine light) comes up between 3k and 4k rpm. Logs attached. I got another oil switch to swap out. Will probably do that this weekend.

So I'm thinking it might be:
-HPFP issue?
-Wastegate solenoids?
-I have no clue

Name:  LOG.PNG
Views: 1613
Size:  82.6 KB

Last edited by mzafar; 03-21-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
RSL
Captain
Rep

I don't know what all that thing is reading, but AFR measured seems normal: lean when you let off the throttle and stoich or richer when you're on the throttle. The intake pressure/boost seems to be what I suspected. Peak I saw was 17.4psi on intake and 3.04psi on boost, so exactly what I thought: reading manifold MAP sensor, reporting intake as PSIA and boost as PSIG. Everywhere else, it's about 14.5psi difference between the two (1 bar).

Did you clear codes before the pull and what were the codes after? Not really going to make any progress until we know what is actually causing it.

If it is boost related, it will be impossible to see on that logger. Need to see boost target, real boost (TMAP, not MAP) and WGDC. Is the stock rom flashed on the car? Only other thing I can imagine might pop an engine malfunction light that range is a torque limiter.

If it's the stock rom, need to start looking for anything blocking the WGs and keeping them from opening or possibly swap boost control solenoids as a quick test if you know anyone with an N54. If it's not the stock rom, flash it to an unmodified version to eliminate potential incorrect settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:42 AM   #18
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Just took a proper log with a JB4.

DATA Log - Please click here

I'm on Map 0. The pre-boost looks way too high no?
Name:  Log.png
Views: 1568
Size:  39.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #19
RSL
Captain
Rep

Yeah, that's way high. You're using a new firmware with a way, way old interface. Download the latest interface so we have all the info and it's correct. Firmware/interfaces go hand-in-hand. I'd go in and reset everything back to defaults in the JB4, including the dash menus, stay on map 0.

Finding it's impossible to believe it's hitting >20psi at 33% WGDC, so not sure which is correct yet, but one is probably not due to the old interface.

Be careful logging. Get the new interface installed and reset the JB4 settings. After that, set your boost safety to like 14-15psi in the interface. It's supposedly set at 20psi on this log, but you passed that and it apparently didn't do anything (should've tripped a half-engine light/reduced output light like you've been seeing).
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #20
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's way high. You're using a new firmware with a way, way old interface. Download the latest interface so we have all the info and it's correct. Firmware/interfaces go hand-in-hand. I'd go in and reset everything back to defaults in the JB4, including the dash menus, stay on map 0.

Finding it's impossible to believe it's hitting >20psi at 33% WGDC, so not sure which is correct yet, but one is probably not due to the old interface.

Be careful logging. Get the new interface installed and reset the JB4 settings. After that, set your boost safety to like 14-15psi in the interface. It's supposedly set at 20psi on this log, but you passed that and it apparently didn't do anything (should've tripped a half-engine light/reduced output light like you've been seeing).
Just updated the interface Thank you for picking that up.

DATA LOG - Click here

My WDGC seems to jump between 26% and 60% is discrete jumps. .Is that normal? I'm trying not to go WOT. Don't want to damage anything.

I'll reset everything after work as you mentioned and set the boost limit to 14.5psi and take another log.

Name:  Log.PNG
Views: 1569
Size:  84.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
RSL
Captain
Rep

60% (closed) is the default WG position that is set in JB4.

First things first:
Look at the DP clamps, should hopefully be able to see them from the top. Make sure that the part where each bolts together are nowhere close to being in the path of the WG actuator or swing arm on either turbo. If either is, you’ll want to loosen the clamp just enough to spin it to a different orientation completely out of the way and then tighten it back down. If neither clamp is potentially blocking the WG, need to move further.

Not sure what turbos went on or it they were new or rebuilt, but it’s possible that the WGs themselves were put on way too tight. Other than that, something wrong with the boost solenoids would be the only other thing I could think of right now that might cause uncontrolled boost.

On the JB4:
- Feed forward is at 149 (150 is max). Set FF/WG adaptation to like 50 in the interface settings tab.
- Reduce the DWP to 20-30 in the interface or dash menu.
- Set boost safety to 16psi in the interface to keep it from getting out of hand
- Set dash menu 4 to 3

Boost safety tripped will cause an engine malfunction light and you'll need to pull over and restart, so just be aware. Save any logs running before you restart.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #22
mzafar
Private
United_States
Rep

Just got all the vacuum lines swapped out. Tested with the vacuum hand pump. The hand pump activates the wastegates under vacuum.

Still getting boost way over target.

Also checked the Down pipe clamp is not interfering with the wastegate.

Boost solenoids perhaps?

DATA LOGS - Click here

Last edited by mzafar; 03-24-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0