E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Eonon GA8165

11-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Eonon GA8165

All, I recently saw the 8165 available, but explicit stating that it isn't compatible with the Logic 7 system. I have the upgraded audio in my car, and I was wondering if there was a way around this.
      11-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Avin now sells a most adapter look it up.
You also might want to look up the reviews on
Enon.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-20-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Enon.
So, with the Avin now making a MOST adapter, you can use an head unit????
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You should be able to read the specs and figure it out.
The one thing that I noticed is you only get two channels
so no fader and no Logic 7 amp modes . You should call up avin if you want further clarification.
From there website

Supports both Logic 7 and Harmon Kardon

The AVIN MOST-BMW Fiber Optic Amp Interface allows the BMW factory amplifier, the output from all speakers including subwoofer, and premium sound quality to be retained when installing ANY aftermarket radio. This makes for a nice clean easy install.

When installing the MOST-BMW into your BMW you must make sure that the fiber optic signal loop is not broken. If you have other devices which can include original CD Changer, satellite radio, and telephone module they must stay connected so the fiber optic signal loop is consistent. If you would like to remove the CD changer, satellite radio or telephone module you can but you will need our MOST Fiber Optic Bypass Loop Adapter Plug OR MOST Fiber Optic 5 Meters Cable our to make a direct connection from the MOST interface to the factory M.O.S.T. (Media Oriented Systems Transport) amplifier.

To identify if you have a factory-amplified audio system, you can check the vehicle in a number of ways. Some vehicles will have clear markings on the speaker grills indicating the presence of an upgraded audio system. You can also check with the original order notes/invoice from when the car was purchased from the factory, the upgraded sound system with an amplifier would show on the options list. If unsure, you can call your local dealer with your vehicles chassis number and ask them to check if the vehicle was manufactured with an amplified audio system.

Frequently asked questions:

Q. Can I return this for a refund if I do not like it?

A: NO. We warranty the product for one year. If there are any problems with it, we will replace it with a new one for you.

Q. Why are there only TWO RCA inputs?

A: It only supports Stereo input from your front Left and front Right RCA audio output.

Q. If it is only using TWO RCA audio cable how will get sound from all of my speakers?

A: The MOST interface will convert the TWO RCA audio signal into a fiber optic signal your factory amplifier can understand. Your Harmon Kardon amplifier will distribute sound to all of your speakers including your subwoofer.

Q. Can I control fade and balance after this is installed?

A: You can control only LEFT RIGHT balance since it is only using those two RCA audio cables. No fading from front to back.

Q. Does this support steering wheel button controls?

A: This does not add or remove steering wheel button control. It only has one function and that is to convert RCA audio into a fiber optic signal the factory amplifier can understand.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-20-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6008.50
      11-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Enon.
I've actually only been able to find relatively good things about the 7165, the previous gen, and nothing really on the 8165. I'm skeptical about losing audio quality, so I likely wont go through with it. The functionality is tempting though....
      03-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
LDV
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I've actually only been able to find relatively good things about the 7165, the previous gen, and nothing really on the 8165. I'm skeptical about losing audio quality, so I likely wont go through with it. The functionality is tempting though....
Hey did you go through with this? I am very interested in the G8615A but I am not willing to compromise on sound quality
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

I just received my GA8165.

If you are going to buy one of these, make sure you don't have the fiber optic speaker interface, the radio itself must have the 8-wire speaker connectors in the radio plug or you won't have any sound. I just found out... See photo- if you have the eight empty holes at the top right like I do, you won't get any sound out of the radio. The fiber optics are in the connector on the bottom right.

Also, the installation instructions say to test the radio before you install it. BUT, they don't tell you to plug in the canbus- you must have it plugged in or the radio won't power on. I spent two days trying to figure this one out, and talking to Chinese support when they are on the opposite side of the planet is trying, at best (they are asleep when I am awake).

So right now I'm deciding whether to send this back, or get an AVIN adapter. The BMW version of this adapter is the most expensive (go figure).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
LDV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
I just received my GA8165.

If you are going to buy one of these, make sure you don't have the fiber optic speaker interface, the radio itself must have the 8-wire speaker connectors in the radio plug or you won't have any sound. I just found out... See photo- if you have the eight empty holes at the top right like I do, you won't get any sound out of the radio. The fiber optics are in the connector on the bottom right.

Also, the installation instructions say to test the radio before you install it. BUT, they don't tell you to plug in the canbus- you must have it plugged in or the radio won't power on. I spent two days trying to figure this one out, and talking to Chinese support when they are on the opposite side of the planet is trying, at best (they are asleep when I am awake).

So right now I'm deciding whether to send this back, or get an AVIN adapter. The BMW version of this adapter is the most expensive (go figure).
What stereo do you have? Do you have idrive?

Is the fiber only for l7? Or do you have the hifi system?

Would you mind taking a picture of your HU?

I'm currently trying to figure out if this is the case for my unit without disassembling it. I saw the warning on the ebay page right before checking out.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Easy to check with one of the BMW online vin checkers.
Hi Fi is option 676 and Logic 7 is 677 or 688
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
LDV
Rep

Quote:
Easy to check with one of the BMW online vin checkers.
Hi Fi is option 676 and Logic 7 is 677 or 688
well I know I don't have Logic 7 because I don't have the speaker in my front dash - does that mean I will have the 8 speaker cables?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

I wish there was a device that would loop into the fiber optic line and carry a Bluetooth audio signal to work from the stock unit.... I'd love Bluetooth audio streaming but I don't want to get rid of the factory unit or stock mic, I wouldn't mind getting rid of satellite radio for Bluetooth lol I have the individual audio in my car.
      03-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
c131frdave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

It literally only takes about 2 minutes to get your stock head unit out to check your harness. I went ahead and ordered the Avin MOST adapter- but they are out of stock until at least next week... I do not have Idrive. There is nothing on my stereo that would lead you to believe it is anything special other than it says "pro" on it.

If you want to check your radio harness real quick, get a phillips screwdriver and a medium flat head screw driver and a roll of electrical tape. Cut a 1 inch piece of tape and tightly wrap it around the flat head screwdriver to keep the steel from scratching your climate control mounting bracket. Then insert the flat head carefully on each side of the climate control unit, dead center on each side, and pull out. The whole thing is held in by one clip on each side. Once you have it free, pull it out enough so you can reach the two screws holding the radio in underneath the radio. Once those are out, the radio slides right out, but the harness will only give you about an inch to stick your fingers in there an pull it off. Just lift up slightly on the latch at the top of the connector and pull it off. You can then sort of let your radio rest (or pull the antenna connector off and you can put the radio anywhere you want).

Last edited by c131frdave; 03-09-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
LDV
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
It literally only takes about 2 minutes to get your stock head unit out to check your harness. I went ahead and ordered the Avin MOST adapter- but they are out of stock until at least next week... I do not have Idrive. There is nothing on my stereo that would lead you to believe it is anything special other than it says "pro" on it.

If you want to check your radio harness real quick, get a phillips screwdriver and a medium flat head screw driver and a roll of electrical tape. Cut a 1 inch piece of tape and tightly wrap it around the flat head screwdriver to keep the steel from scratching your climate control mounting bracket. Then insert the flat head carefully on each side of the climate control unit, dead center on each side, and pull out. The whole thing is held in by one clip on each side. Once you have it free, pull it out enough so you can reach the two screws holding the radio in underneath the radio. Once those are out, the radio slides right out, but the harness will only give you about an inch to stick your fingers in there an pull it off. Just lift up slightly on the latch at the top of the connector and pull it off. You can then sort of let your radio rest (or pull the antenna connector off and you can put the radio anywhere you want).

I am soooo lazy though

I'll give it a look this weekend. Eonon confirmed they do have a 60 day return policy but I have to pay shipping so I may give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #14
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Run you Vin number on a online BMW vin checker.
676 is hi fi 677 is logic 7 doesn't matter what the head unit is.

If you have a middle speaker in the dash you have logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Last time I had an Eonon headhunt, all I got was headaches and false promises. Ended up selling it to someone else for literally half of what I paid for.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #16
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
I wish there was a device that would loop into the fiber optic line and carry a Bluetooth audio signal to work from the stock unit.... I'd love Bluetooth audio streaming but I don't want to get rid of the factory unit or stock mic, I wouldn't mind getting rid of satellite radio for Bluetooth lol I have the individual audio in my car.
Grom audio makes that. Couple hundred bucks i think. Also does usb audio in like usb otg.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #17
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Grom audio makes that. Couple hundred bucks i think. Also does usb audio in like usb otg.
Yeah I was looking into that, seems that I would have to get the GROM-MST4 (USB / iPod / Android / Bluetooth Interface Box) and then also purchase the Bluetooth Streaming and Handsfree Dongle, which would kind of suck because then that would cut my stock mic out.... I wonder I could splice my stock mic into this. Another thing I`m wondering is if this will also cut out my stock usb and aux connections under the armrest..

I`ll email Grom to get more insight.
      03-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Grom Audio got back to me, They told me that the GROM-MST4 equipped with the Bluetooth Dongle would work in my car but I would have to use the mic they provide (no big deal but If I could wire in my stock mic I would prefer that) They also told me that my stock USB and Aux connections under the armrest would still work like stock formation. Then I would have to get my car coded to add the MP3/CD changer to get the Grom unit to work. Seems like this would be the best option if you want to retain the stock head unit without the risk of sacrificing sound quality.
      03-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

I never went through with this, FYI- I simply grabbed a $30 Tunai Firefly and the Bluetooth connectivity has good sound quality, and never really cuts out or anything. About 10% of the time I get in the car I have to manually select the firefly in my Bluetooth settings on my phone, but it's a small price to pay for the $30 solution.

With the Grom- does this mean that the factory phone Bluetooth will no longer be used at all? Will it automatically connect to my phone every single time? The use of steering wheel controls to change the song is tempting, but I have a sleek magnetic mount on the center of my dash, so it's not like changing a song is too out of my way anyway. I would have that there for nav on the phone regardless.
      03-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I never went through with this, FYI- I simply grabbed a $30 Tunai Firefly and the Bluetooth connectivity has good sound quality, and never really cuts out or anything. About 10% of the time I get in the car I have to manually select the firefly in my Bluetooth settings on my phone, but it's a small price to pay for the $30 solution.

With the Grom- does this mean that the factory phone Bluetooth will no longer be used at all? Will it automatically connect to my phone every single time? The use of steering wheel controls to change the song is tempting, but I have a sleek magnetic mount on the center of my dash, so it's not like changing a song is too out of my way anyway. I would have that there for nav on the phone regardless.
That I'm not sure about, Not sure if it uses the stock Bluetooth or the Bluetooth off the Grom unit, but I assume it uses the Grom unit since the mic is now hooked to that...
I do believe that it connects right away since it's powered from your head unit. The only reason I would do it is for the audio streaming plus steering wheel functions. With your phone mounted on your dash, you still have to get your phone to light up so you can skip tracks? but then again that's just a push of the button which is simple and safe enough. I juts don't want to have to pick up my phone every time I want to skip a track.
      03-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

I just push the home button if the phone isn't lit, but usually I'll have either Waze or Spotify keeping the screen on with the phone plugged into power too. I use a BungaJungle Neutron A mount for my car, which is sleek, professional looking, and super high quality. My phone's never come off of it without me trying to remove it in 4 or 5 years of use so far, including being in 2 accidents. IT's a simple press of the home button, and then a tap of the next song button to change songs, and I have my iPhone jailbroken and set up so that if I run my finger down along the left side of the screen alogn the case, it opens up waze, and the right side opens spoitify, specifically so I don't have to look to open either, I can do it strictly by touch while the phone stays on it's mount. I would REALLY love the use of steering wheel controls to change songs, but it's not worth hundreds+potentially worse audio quality from the L7 system just for the use of a next song button!