E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What oil to use on my 2006 BMW 325i?

12-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #23
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
If I were in the US, I would probably use one of the following and change it every 10K miles:

* Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30. This is one of the few true 'Group IV' (PAO-based) synthetics sold in that is readily available and cheap

* Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40. While a 'Group III', rarely do you hear bad things

*BMW Branded Castrol (Group III, branded 'Softec' in Europe) or Shell are both good but you are probably paying a premium for the re-branding

If I had just bought a used car, and the engine were dirty, I might be tempted to run a couple (2500 mile) cycles of a true 'Group 5' synthetic like Redline or Motul 300v -- these both have loads of detergents and do a nice job 'cleaning'.

Do not use Mobil 1, it is no longer LL01 approved. Check the back of the label, LL01 will not be there anymore.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0