E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Took the 328i for an oil change at an Indy shop and this happened..

05-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

If you're not satisfied that the shop has made right on their mistake, I think you owe it to others to leave feedback on a yelp page, and any other service review sources they are on (Google, others?). That's what those reviews are for, helping others avoid the same mistake! (Or rewarding good service).

If you keep your language objective and you're truthful about the experience people will take the information to heart, but you can smell a rant on one of those reviews from a mile away and that just defeats the purpose. With that said, mistakes happen and I'd always give a service provided a chance to make right before publicly outing, but it sounds like you did and the owner was a total dick.

Publicly out him, not out of spite, but as a service to others.

Also, I really don't think it's fair to peg this on all Indy shops. It sounds like the issue was a stupid human error type mistake, and anyone could do that. In fact, I don't see any reason why this couldn't happen just as easily at a dealer. I have heard PLENTY of dealer horror stories, and their prices are absurd.

If you want any further incentive not to go to a dealer, take a look at the manufacturer and dealer lobbying efforts to withhold electronic code from end buyers, and generally make it so that we must suck from the teat of the dealer service center to keep our own cars running.

Do you really want dealers to have a monopoly on servicing your car? They've already got your balls in a vice through the warranty period (with the free service intervals, not because going to an Indy voids your warranty, at least in most states, that's not legal).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #24
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

^What he said.

Agree completely with Rustler.
      06-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Anyone in similar situation, check your alternator brushes and slip rings if possible, and don't be surprized if you get an alternator error soon after such an event. Apparently if oil gets to the area where alternator brushes and slip rings are (bottom of the alternator axle), it turns the already existing copper and carbon debris particles into a paste. This gets in between the brush and slip rings and either because of being abrasive or increasing resistance and causing arcs or some other similar cause not sure, wears the slip ring and brushes at highly increased rate.
After oil contamination, taking out the alternator opening up the brush, slip ring area and cleaning all the debris and oil as early as possible can prevent this before it is too late.

Don't ask me how I know..

I had seen several times in Bentley manual warnings about covering and protecting the alternator against any spills of fluids while working around it. Now I know why.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #26
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Just wondering...did the independent shop use a BMW approved LL01 spec synthetic oil, or did they use fossil oil?! It matters, if simply topping up what was lost!
Appreciate 0