E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Intermittent Wipers

03-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #23
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good comment. As an added clue, any smearing as the wipers pass across the screen are an obvious problem. If wipers don't clear perfectly, we can't expect auto-sensing to be reliable, let alone sensitive.

As a side point, many a wiper blade is replaced when a regular clean would extend its use. I use the white vinegar, same as for the screen.

HighlandPete
If anyone has experience with BMWs in the rain it must be you Pete, haha
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:53 AM   #24
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
using something like INPA re-initialise the RLS sensor and it usually does the trick, mine work perfectly now.
+1, I used Re-Initialise a while back with BT cable and they work perfectly.

If you ask a BMW "Technician" about the problem, they say " re-initialises every time you start the car Sir", WRONG again !
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 02:34 AM   #25
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
Clean the glass in front of the sensor, then using something like INPA re-initialise the RLS sensor and it usually does the trick, mine work perfectly now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
+1, I used Re-Initialise a while back with BT cable and they work perfectly.

If you ask a BMW "Technician" about the problem, they say " re-initialises every time you start the car Sir", WRONG again !
Pray explain guys please??? INAP????? Re-Initialize???? how do we do this???? What is it??? where do we get it from?

Will try this, but still feel it is sh!te as mention my sons Ford screen is like most 19 yr olds DIRTY and his wipers are a joy to behold!!

So nothing on the coding fron to increase the sensitivity then?????
      03-05-2015, 04:21 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
If anyone has experience with BMWs in the rain it must be you Pete, haha
Exactly, Lochaber is not known for its rainfall without reason. Forecast last evening, we may have up to 200mm of rain in the next 3-days.

So you could say I'm giving wipers a pretty thorough test in all types of rain, including Highland mist, which is the worst to be honest.

I've used auto wipers for over 14 years and it is either a fault (usually a sensor issue), if they don't work correctly, or cleanliness of screen and wipers.

Not had issues at all in the BMWs, just the performance can deteriorate if the screen gets too contaminated. In my experience cleaning ALWAYS gets the performance and sensitivity back. Hence why I bang the drum for cleaning the screen and wiper rubbers.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #27
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspo View Post
Pray explain guys please??? INAP????? Re-Initialize???? how do we do this???? What is it??? where do we get it from?

Will try this, but still feel it is sh!te as mention my sons Ford screen is like most 19 yr olds DIRTY and his wipers are a joy to behold!!

So nothing on the coding fron to increase the sensitivity then?????
You need a diagnostic cable, a laptop and INPA, then go into the module for the RLS (Rain & Light Sensor), there is an option in there to re-initialise the sensor, basically it resets the system and calibrates, so make sure the screen over the sensor is clean & dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #28
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Quote:
You need a diagnostic cable, a laptop and INPA, then go into the module for the RLS (Rain & Light Sensor), there is an option in there to re-initialise the sensor, basically it resets the system and calibrates, so make sure the screen over the sensor is clean & dry.
Cheers, thats me out of that fix then!

I'll give the 'clean screen' thing a go this weekend!

I don't suppose applying Rainx would help as this just makes the droplets dissipate even more?

Thanks
      03-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #29
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Rich_D is spot on.

Had to do this on my mates E82 135i. Was really useless feature until re-initialised. I need to do mine too.

I've had loads of BM's and the rain sensitivity has been fine on all of hem except the E92/E82. Unsure why but it's certainly the case. Even the E53 I've got is great and never needed to do anything to reset it.
      03-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #30
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

There must be more to it than just a clean screen. It worked spot on with my old car, and very poorly on the BM. I clean my car the same way and as often as before. The only thing that's changed is the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #31
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I reset the module a while ago to see what happened. Seems to have improved. Still not as good as an e39 I had a few years ago
Appreciate 0