E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Met Police Force...at work

07-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #45
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
Maybe not all cops are wankers, but all the cops I've had dealings with were.

What are the chances of that? The wankers are in a minority and I keep getting them when I have a problem.
The lad they sent to deal with my burglary couldn't spell 'PS3' - much to my amusement.

His colleague (a PC of about 45 and a broken man) who had clearly been sent to supervise him couldn't give less of a shit. He actually accused me of burglaring myself for insurance purposes, but clearly if that IS what he thought, he couldn't even be arsed to follow that up.

I've dealt with all sorts of coppers in life and in my job. I've had police dogs set on me for no reason other than trying to get away from a crowd turning nasty and I've seen a lad bleeding out being carried to safety (much like TeutonicDriver said) plus everything inbetween.... From arsey traffic cops to the PCSO who loves my cars, comes round on his bike often and even waved me OUT of the queue for statuatory vehicle checks because he knew me.

Takes all sorts. My main bugbear is that when cops do fuck up, I demand the harshest of punishments available. They are in a position of trust and power and MUST, categorically, be infallible. End of.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #46
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have had experience with Police Officers from all over the world (that sounds really bad!) and IMO although there are some cocks in the Police Force in our country in general they are among the best. I saw my mate get tasered in Canada for trying to have a laugh with a Canadian Officer who didnt think he was funny and i was mugged in Mexico....by the Police!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #47
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

They need priorities................. as prev mentioned............... catch some criminals!

My wifes jewellery shop got broke into last year

3.30am the phone goes - alarm saying theres a break in etc..............

We live a mile away so i'm dressed and have a b/ball bat and hunting knife in my pocket and off i go.............

A few watches had been nicked - Police turn up and arrest me for having an offensive weapon in a public place.............

They quizzed me on why i had the bat and knife................ to protect myself i said.............. would you of used it?................. if i had to, yes!

If theres 4 guys there breaking in my shop - do i turn up unarmed and say "excuse me lads - i'd rather you didn't do that!"

No! - they'll get a F'in fight.........

So the pigs spent a nice cosy 3 1/2 hours taking me back to the Station - gave a me a caution and drove me back to the shop - still thats much easier than having to get out there and kick the doors of the local scrotes in, and retreive my stolen watches int it!

They said i should of just called them - and they would deal with it............... so the next time the alarm went, we called them - and they wouldn't send anyone!

The 2 that arrested me did actually apologise for arresting me afterwards, and said there hands were tied, but they couldn't overlook acts of vigilanti-ism

Max
      07-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #48
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezking View Post
They need priorities................. as prev mentioned............... catch some criminals!

My wifes jewellery shop got broke into last year

3.30am the phone goes - alarm saying theres a break in etc..............

We live a mile away so i'm dressed and have a b/ball bat and hunting knife in my pocket and off i go.............

A few watches had been nicked - Police turn up and arrest me for having an offensive weapon in a public place.............

They quizzed me on why i had the bat and knife................ to protect myself i said.............. would you of used it?................. if i had to, yes!

If theres 4 guys there breaking in my shop - do i turn up unarmed and say "excuse me lads - i'd rather you didn't do that!"

No! - they'll get a F'in fight.........

So the pigs spent a nice cosy 3 1/2 hours taking me back to the Station - gave a me a caution and drove me back to the shop - still thats much easier than having to get out there and kick the doors of the local scrotes in, and retreive my stolen watches int it!

They said i should of just called them - and they would deal with it............... so the next time the alarm went, we called them - and they wouldn't send anyone!

The 2 that arrested me did actually apologise for arresting me afterwards, and said there hands were tied, but they couldn't overlook acts of vigilanti-ism

Max

See!!!!!! ...thats the stuff that gets me p*££ed off....

u get arrested for turning up with a baseball bat....

its just a fc*kin joke...

They could have spent some time lookin for the thieves, but ...no...lets just arrest the victim.....much easier....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #49
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E90 325d M Sport LCI

It seems to me that the main four or five contributors to this thread fall into the category of the 'vocal minority'.

One admits he has a chip on his shoulder and one admits he has a problem with authority... the rest are starting to sound like Daily Mail readers... ie broken Britain.. blah blah blah!!

I think the police do an incredibly difficult and thankless job. They rush into situations on a daily basis whilst others are rushing out.. perhaps the people who are so critical should ask themselves if they could do the job they do and put up with all the shit they take (usually from internet forum know it all's!!) who have not even stepped up to the mark.

Rant over..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60056&dateline=126193  4242 LCI E90 M Sport Auto ~ Titanium Silver ~ Black Dakota ~ Rear Tints ~ Heated Seats ~ Folding Mirrors ~ Bluetooth ~ Goodyear F1's ~

Last edited by Silver Shadow; 07-05-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #50
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow View Post
It seems to me that the main four or five contributors to this thread fall into the category of the 'vocal minority'.

One admits he has a chip on his shoulder and one admits he has a problem with authority... the rest are starting to sound like Daily Mail readers... ie broken Britain etc etc.

I think the police do an incredibly difficult and thankless job. They rush into situations on a daily basis whilst others are rushing out.. perhaps the people who are so critical should ask themselves if they could do the job they do and put up with all the shit they take (usually from internet forum know it all's!!) who have not even stepped up to the mark.

Rant over..
I step upto the mark each time my shop alarm goes off at 3am and I get down there myself.............. to defend MY property

Cos the police are too busy havin a brew and harassing motorists

Max
      07-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #51
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Cos the police are too busy havin a brew and harassing motorists Max
Change the record Max.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=60056&dateline=126193  4242 LCI E90 M Sport Auto ~ Titanium Silver ~ Black Dakota ~ Rear Tints ~ Heated Seats ~ Folding Mirrors ~ Bluetooth ~ Goodyear F1's ~
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #52
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I step upto the mark each time my shop alarm goes off at 3am and I get down there myself.............. to defend MY property

Max
Thats hardly the same... once or twice a year in your pyjamas.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #53
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:

One admits he has a chip on his shoulder and one admits he has a problem with authority... the rest are starting to sound like Daily Mail readers... ie broken Britain.. blah blah blah!!

Rant over..
I've deliberately stayed out of this discussion as I am a well known Guardian reader and liberal (with a small L). My mother was also a police office for many years as were a couple of my uncles I would like to think that I have no axe to grind with the police and I disagree with many of the daft "authority baiting" stories that one gets in the Guardian.

However!!!!

I have had two "run ins" with the police in recent years as described below.

1. My 12 year old daughter was flashed at for the 2nd time by the same person while coming home from school. She rang 999 explained what had happened and asked for the police to come immediately as the man was trying to get her into his car. This was at 03:00pm. We got a call from the police at 10:00 pm following up. She could have been DEAD!

2. A drunk paraplegic in an electrical wheelchair collided with my car causing £500 of damage. I caught him doing it and called the police when he made a "run" for it. Dorset's finest arrived and their first question to me was "Have you ever been in trouble with the police?" I resisted the urge to tell them to "f*ck off" and pointed out that I came from a family of coppers. That soothed their tiny brains but they refused to take action against the paraplegic as it would have been "bad press" for Dorset Constabulary. I nearly rang the Daily Mail myself!

So all in all my personal experience has been pretty poor and I think the officer in this boy's case was completely out of order. Coppers need a "bad guy " filter rather than assuming that we are all crooks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #54
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

Rant over..

Never said that their job is easy.... yes, their job is difficult, when they chase thieves on the streets of london, undertake massive campaigns to counter knife and gun crime, undertake "crowd" control at manifestations, where hooligans or riots are causing problems....

but when there is 4-5 officers bullying a 16 year old photographer....

then yeah, maybe we should just stay quiet and say thank you and well done!....

They rush into situations on a daily basis, hmmm....wat situations? and also, thats their JOB and they get paid for it....starting salary is about £25k I think....or maybe more....

and whos rushing out?.....

I got friends who are in the force and I was gona join myself at some point in time....

so yes, i wud step up...but I wud probably get orders from my superiors to "stop a few bmws that look suspicious and arrest some 16 year old photographer at the next public event"....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #55
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
I've deliberately stayed out of this discussion as I am a well known Guardian reader and liberal (with a small L). My mother was also a police office for many years as were a couple of my uncles I would like to think that I have no axe to grind with the police and I disagree with many of the daft "authority baiting" stories that one gets in the Guardian.

However!!!!

I have had two "run ins" with the police in recent years as described below.

1. My 12 year old daughter was flashed at for the 2nd time by the same person while coming home from school. She rang 999 explained what had happened and asked for the police to come immediately as the man was trying to get her into his car. This was at 03:00pm. We got a call from the police at 10:00 pm following up. She could have been DEAD!

2. A drunk paraplegic in an electrical wheelchair collided with my car causing £500 of damage. I caught him doing it and called the police when he made a "run" for it. Dorset's finest arrived and their first question to me was "Have you ever been in trouble with the police?" I resisted the urge to tell them to "f*ck off" and pointed out that I came from a family of coppers. That soothed their tiny brains but they refused to take action against the paraplegic as it would have been "bad press" for Dorset Constabulary. I nearly rang the Daily Mail myself!

So all in all my personal experience has been pretty poor and I think the officer in this boy's case was completely out of order. Coppers need a "bad guy " filter rather than assuming that we are all crooks.

If you're drunk and try to make a run for it, when u've caused £500 of damage, I don't care if ur paraplegic or a 15 year old girl, I'm gona slap u till u ur sober...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #56
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
They rush into situations on a daily basis, hmmm....wat situations?
Are you serious?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #57
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I got friends who are in the force and I was gona join myself at some point in time....

so yes, i wud step up...
and you have not applied because??

It makes me question if you really hold the opinions you have expressed if you are genuinely considering applying. Why on earth would you want to join an organsiation you claim to hold such contempt for?

Unless your just jumping on the bandwagon and slating the police because they are an easy target?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #58
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
You need to have indefinite leave to remain to apply...which i haven't got...

Why would i apply? Maybe i'm just a dreamer...but maybe i cud really make a difference in my local area?

the police , an easy target?...are u serious?...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #59
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
If you're drunk and try to make a run for it, when u've caused £500 of damage, I don't care if ur paraplegic or a 15 year old girl, I'm gona slap u till u ur sober...
That's the point where I almost got arrested! I didn't say that I was a pacifist!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #60
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
It makes me question if you really hold the opinions you have expressed if you are genuinely considering applying. Why on earth would you want to join an organsiation you claim to hold such contempt for?

I have lots of "mixed" feelings and opinions....

When I had some issues with my car, I was slagging BMW, and yet, I still like my car and probably my next car will be a BMW....

Just like my views on immigration...

and/or other social issues....

With the Police, I just think they need to change their priorities....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #61
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Why would i apply? Maybe i'm just a dreamer...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #62
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Hey, I joined the Force in October 1977, I remember then being told then that while we would be hated by a small minority, the vast majority still respected the law and those that uphold it.
In the following years I have been spat upon (many times), beaten up (once), screamed at and verbally abused many times, mostly by those on the wrong side of the law.
Ive dealt with many things I would never want my children to experience from the grieviously injured, and many (Over three dozen) mutilated dead. Ive delivered death messages (and I would challenge anyone to do that and not be affected). Ive attended the scene of an electrocution of a small child who was still burning when I arrived and who asked me to "Make me dead". Ive investigated the killing of a three year old amonst others.
I was also involved in the Miners Strike, the Bradford fire, and Hillsbrough.
Ive also personally organised a number of security events in relation to Royal visits, and was for several years responsible for a team of officers trained as first responders to suspect explosive devices.
I was told by a Senior Officer many years ago that one of the most important attributes to being a police officer is compassion. I still believe that, and I still remember most of the harrowing incidents and affected people who shaped my career.
I treat everyone as I would want to be treated. Though I have found that particularly challenging on many occassions.
Im not alone in that. Many of my colleagues are good guys too strangely enough.
I have my regrets over the way I dealt with certain things but overall it has been an extremely rewarding career and I hope I have made a positive difference to some. I know Ive made a negative impact on a few (particularly those on the wrong side of the law.) To them I make no apology, most of them were (and still are) scum. They are the real enemy, not those who face them.
As for those who berate the Police, yes there are a proportion who are bent, or incompetent.
However there are far more who do the job for the satisfaction that real commitment brings.
Some of those are out tonight looking for an armed man who has threatened and taunted them, should one of them kill him in response to his actions when found, that officer will go through a shitstorm of public abuse and internal investigation. Which of you detractors would step up to that?
When youve walked in their shoes and experienced their lives you have the right to hate,ridicule or berate them, but I guarantee that most out there would still support the majority of Police Officers despite the odd idiot like him in the original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #63
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Teutonicdriver.... I salute you.

I am grateful you put yourself in harms way for 30 years on our behalf, as oppossed to joining the 'hindsight' club and slating the police from the behind the comfort and safety of an internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #64
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Hey, I joined the Force in October 1977, I remember then being told then that while we would be hated by a small minority, the vast majority still respected the law and those that uphold it.
In the following years I have been spat upon (many times), beaten up (once), screamed at and verbally abused many times, mostly by those on the wrong side of the law.
Ive dealt with many things I would never want my children to experience from the grieviously injured, and many (Over three dozen) mutilated dead. Ive delivered death messages (and I would challenge anyone to do that and not be affected). Ive attended the scene of an electrocution of a small child who was still burning when I arrived and who asked me to "Make me dead". Ive investigated the killing of a three year old amonst others.
I was also involved in the Miners Strike, the Bradford fire, and Hillsbrough.
Ive also personally organised a number of security events in relation to Royal visits, and was for several years responsible for a team of officers trained as first responders to suspect explosive devices.
I was told by a Senior Officer many years ago that one of the most important attributes to being a police officer is compassion. I still believe that, and I still remember most of the harrowing incidents and affected people who shaped my career.
I treat everyone as I would want to be treated. Though I have found that particularly challenging on many occassions.
Im not alone in that. Many of my colleagues are good guys too strangely enough.
I have my regrets over the way I dealt with certain things but overall it has been an extremely rewarding career and I hope I have made a positive difference to some. I know Ive made a negative impact on a few (particularly those on the wrong side of the law.) To them I make no apology, most of them were (and still are) scum. They are the real enemy, not those who face them.
As for those who berate the Police, yes there are a proportion who are bent, or incompetent.
However there are far more who do the job for the satisfaction that real commitment brings.
Some of those are out tonight looking for an armed man who has threatened and taunted them, should one of them kill him in response to his actions when found, that officer will go through a shitstorm of public abuse and internal investigation. Which of you detractors would step up to that?
When youve walked in their shoes and experienced their lives you have the right to hate,ridicule or berate them, but I guarantee that most out there would still support the majority of Police Officers despite the odd idiot like him in the original post.
I applaud you for your efforts and am glad you have had a rewarding career.

Quote:

Rant over..

The second part of your post falls into the catagory of the same old defence I've heard a hundred times. It's a minority of officers... difficult and thankless job... would you do a better job yourself...

The people who are contributing to this thread are sharing their real life experiences. Maybe the others and I have been unlucky but I don't think the police as a whole really care about the victims of crime. I think many CHOOSE to do the job for all the wrong reasons. It has been MY experience that the overwhelming attitude of the police who are meant to help me is one of apathy. They make you feel like what is happening to you is mundane and they do what they can to make you drop whatever complaint you have.

The standard of officer yourself and Tuetonicdriver are refering to are not the exceptional ones. They are the ones who are doing their jobs correctly. They are hugely appreciated but not neccessarily thanked.

I can only comment on how I have been treated.
      07-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #65
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Teutonicdriver.... I salute you.

I am grateful you put yourself in harms way for 30 years on our behalf, as oppossed to joining the 'hindsight' club and slating the police from the behind the comfort and safety of an internet connection.
+100000. As a serving soldier i can relate to some of the experiences Teutonic has described in his eloquent post. Police Officer's are human beings and sometimes make mistakes.....just like estate agents, doctors or any other civilian profession - i know what it is like to be under real pressure, the type of pressure where you know your actions will be judged and where your decision could be the difference between life and death. Only when a person has been in situations like these can they judge the people that do this type of work on a daily basis.

The Police Force has its share of personnel not fit to do the job but so does every other profession - to judge them all by an incident you have experienced is mindless IMO.

Undermanning, budget cuts etc place even more pressure on the Police to carry out a difficult and mostly thankless task.

For all those people who refer to the Police as 'Pigs' etc you should be ashamed of yourself - what job do you do? Do you put yourself in danger for others? Have you had to witness scenes that give you nightmares years after an event? What do you do for this country or is your job simply about making money and self fulfillment?

The vast majority of Police Officers deserve our respect and gratitude.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #66
Silver Shadow
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
The standard of officer yourself and Tuetonicdriver are refering to are not the exceptional ones. They are the ones who are doing their jobs correctly. They are hugely appreciated but not neccessarily thanked.
Thats why I am defending them... the appreciation seems to be somewhat lacking from this thread.
Appreciate 0