E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > What is the cause of 4A72 error code

09-03-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

What is the cause of 4A72 error code

Today my 335D got a service engine soon light when I tapped my brakes to disengage my cruise control as I was exiting the interstate highway. I plugged in my foxwell 510 while driving home and and had the three following error codes

4A72 - DDE info speed limitation active with vehicle stationary
3FF0 - air mass measurement
4B16- Zero quantity adaptation injector Cyl 5

I know the 3FF0 and 4B16 are codes related to CBU cleaning I did about 500 miles ago. I don't recognize the 4A72 code and can not find anything on the internet about this code. Can someone educate me on this code.
I erased (reset) the codes and they did not come back on before I got home. I'll see if they come back the next time I drive the car. I get the 3FF0 and 4B16 about once a month since CBU cleaning the car a couple of months ago. The 4A72 is new today. I was driving about 65 MPH when the check engine light came on and coasting (slowing down for the highway exit).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Why are you still getting those faults if you did cbu cleaning. This doesn't normally happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

I don't have the slightest idea why I am getting these codes. Have you ever seen a 4A72 code? The other two codes don't bother me because I know (or at least think I know) that they are gremlins that only come about once a month. I used to think I was a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Now that I own a 335d, I realize that I don't know squat. There is not much about this car that makes sense to me. I reset the adaptations after CBU to eliminate the CBU related codes. However, I still get them occasionally. I don't know what else to do. That is why I get on this forum and ask for help.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #4
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
I don't have the slightest idea why I am getting these codes. Have you ever seen a 4A72 code? The other two codes don't bother me because I know (or at least think I know) that they are gremlins that only come about once a month. I used to think I was a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Now that I own a 335d, I realize that I don't know squat. There is not much about this car that makes sense to me. I reset the adaptations after CBU to eliminate the CBU related codes. However, I still get them occasionally. I don't know what else to do. That is why I get on this forum and ask for help.
Whic adaptations did you reset?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

This June I did my carbon build up cleaning. At this time, I went through the forum searching for CBU and also adaptions. I made me a document on adaptions, what they are for and any information on resetting them. After the carbon cleaning I drove the car and everything was great for a few days. I then got error codes related to the CBU cleaning. I went in and reset the zero quantity adaptation and the mass air flow adaptation. Those were the only ones that I had software to reset at that time. I hoped that those adaptions would be enough since they were the only ones I could reset at that time. I did not have any error codes from that time on until a couple of days ago (over a month and 400 miles driving). I recognized the 3FF0 and 4B16 codes as CBU related to my CBU cleaning so those did not bother me. At the time of my CBU cleaning, I figured I would have to get more BMW software to reset the other adaptions, or wait until the car relearns, or live with the occasional codes. But the best option at that time was to reset the adaptations I could reset and see what happens next. I have had other problems with my 335D that have occupied me for the last couple of months that is more important for me to work on since the codes did not come back. So, I have not done any more on the CBU adaptations because I had no more error codes. I had to buy a new DSC for my car to replace my DSC that I sent to BBA-Reman for rebuilding (5DF0 and 5DF1 error codes). BBA-Reman apparently went out of business and did not return my DSC. My car was not drivable without a DSC so I had to buy a used DSC and program it for my car. I finally got that done and now my car is drivable. The second thing I have been working on on my car is the a/c. The a/c won't come on for a few minutes after starting the car. I registered my battery, removed my freon and added new freon, and I have now purged the air out of the coolant system. None of these things have solved my a/c problem. Once the a/c is fixed, I will see what I can do about the adaptions I was not able to reset a few months ago when I did my carbon cleaning. I had to get INPA, INSTA-D, NCS Expert to get my ESC programmed. I probably now have the software to reset my remaining adaptations. I will reset all of them when I get back on this issue. The list of adaptations I made after CBU cleaning is:
1. Mass Air flow sensor
2. Crankshaft Increment wheel Adaptation
3. Mean quantity adaptions
4. Injector zero quantity Adaptation (correction values of injectors)

What is the best and/or easiest software to use to reset these adaptations. The only software I have is listed above and I would like to reset the adaptations with the software I have if possible.

I don't want to sound like a whiny baby. But, I am still rebuilding from Hurricane Laura and Hurricane Delta hitting my house last year. The eye of Hurricane Laura went right over my house. The insurance company held back about 50% of their payoff for what they call recoverable depreciation. They will give this depreciation money to me you only if I complete the repairs within 6 months of their payout. Therefore, I am on their clock and am forced to work outside in Louisiana summer heat and humidity to finish in time. I designed and installed a 72 panel solar panel array about 8 years ago and the hurricanes destroyed about 1/3 of my panels and supporting framework. I have been repairing and welding up new frames for a couple of months now and can now start installing the replacement solar panels. Because of this, I work on my BMW when I get a chance which isn't as often as I would like.

This post started because I never heard of the 4A72 code and could not find anything on this forum or the internet about it so I did this post asking for help with the 4A72 code. The only reason I put the information in my posting about the other two codes was because I got all three codes at the same time and there is a chance they could be related. So I include all the information to assist in getting help about the 4A72.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #6
DougNBodie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [10.00]
The fault code entry was caused by the accelerator pedal module. Replace terminal
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep

DougNBodie thank you for your reply. I searched the internet for hours and could not find anything on this error code. This error code must be very rare since no one was able to help before you replied. What do you mean by "replace terminal"? I don't understand what terminal.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:45 AM   #8
Burny
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d m sport

Bit of an old thread but did you ever get to the bottom of the 4A72 error code, I get it every now and again, car goes into limp mode but when I slow down to below 25mph the car comes out of limp mode and is ok again, might do it again it might not no pattern to it, only really seems to do it after I've been driving for an hour so at a steady speed.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0