E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JL Audio Clean Sweep, anyone try it?

02-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
bigmoneygrip
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue 328i

JL Audio Clean Sweep, anyone try it?

the clean sweep seems to be the way to go not to void the warranty, has anyone tried it in their car??? just wondering before I pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoneygrip View Post
the clean sweep seems to be the way to go not to void the warranty, has anyone tried it in their car??? just wondering before I pull the trigger.
It doesn't have anything to do with the warranty... you will need one only if your car has the Logic7 system. The standard sound system doesn't need a Cleansweep although you can use one as a line driver for it.

I will have one for sale soon, including the summing module if interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I am also curious if anyone is running a 360.2, clean sweep or LC8 without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
I am also curious if anyone is running a 360.2, clean sweep or LC8 without any issues.
No issues with the Cleansweep in an Individual Audio system... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183025
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
bigmoneygrip
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego Blue 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with the warranty... you will need one only if your car has the Logic7 system. The standard sound system doesn't need a Cleansweep although you can use one as a line driver for it.

I will have one for sale soon, including the summing module if interested.

I have the standard system in my 328i. I have JL speakers and components plus a amp and sub left over from another car that I am trying to use they told me the best way to intergrate this into my car is with the JL audio clean sweep. Said it was the best way to avoid voiding the warranty of the car, am i being sold something I dont need?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How about with Logic 7 and people with NAV and Bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoneygrip View Post
I have the standard system in my 328i. I have JL speakers and components plus a amp and sub left over from another car that I am trying to use they told me the best way to intergrate this into my car is with the JL audio clean sweep. Said it was the best way to avoid voiding the warranty of the car, am i being sold something I dont need?
Yes, you are.

First, I don't think that any current JL Audio speakers will fit in the OEM mounts without some custom job. The OEM mounts are designed for shallow mount (<50mm) 4" mids. So far even JL Audio.com doesn't list any speakers for E9x fitment.

Second, the standard audio in the 328i is analog, with full range, quite flat, differential signals from the OEM HU to the OEM amp. So by removing the OEM amp from the system the purpose of the Cleansweep is defeated: flatten the OEM signal.

Third, the warranty issue. Regardless of installing a Cleansweep of not you would need to cut OEM wires for any proper aftermarket amp/processor installation. You could unplug the OEM amp and tap all the wires with 3M taps, but eventually some of these taps could become loose due to road vibrations and cause connection and noise issues. So any eventual issues with the OEM speaker wiring will not be covered by the OEM warranty anyway as even those 3M taps leave marks that could be used by the dealer to say gotcha!.

I think that you need to get a second opinion in another shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How about with Logic 7 and people with NAV and Bluetooth?
You would need to get a Cleansweep/summing device or any device that can sum and normalize the Logic7 processing (3SIXTY.2, Bit One) unless you just want to add amplifiers to the Logic7 just to make it louder, not necessarily better sounding.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I have tried with the 360.2 and Cleansweep and both got my aftermarket amps to work... but when a phone call came in it was either too loud or to quiet. I could never get it right with these summing modules. This is why i ask if anyone has a L7 system with aftermarket amps that has NAV and BT.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
No issues with the Cleansweep in an Individual Audio system... http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183025
Technic - In that link you provided, what type of sealant did you use for the SWS subs in the factory enclosures?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but with all the research i have done from this website, I decided to go with the BSW stage 1 upgrade (if it ever comes out) and SWS 8" subs powered by the BP 275 amp. My questions are: where is the best (and easiest) place to ground the BP amp, and does the power need to be supplied with a direct connection from the battery or can it be tapped from the power supply to the L7 amp? Since the BP amp will supply the subs, will the L7 amp draw less power than before when it was feeding the sub channels? I ask because I wanted to know if i'm basically adding only a few more watts or using all the L7 power plus the additional amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have tried with the 360.2 and Cleansweep and both got my aftermarket amps to work... but when a phone call came in it was either too loud or to quiet. I could never get it right with these summing modules. This is why i ask if anyone has a L7 system with aftermarket amps that has NAV and BT.
The only thing that I can think of as the culprit of this volume problem of yours is that the phone -as well as the Nav- OEM volume is independently controlled from the music volume.

In other words, once you get your aftermarket devices set up for the music, you need to make a phone call and enter a destination address in the iDrive and then adjust the phone and Nav volume level right while listening to the phone conversation and to the Nav directions using the OEM volume knob to match up the new amplification/processing.

You should not adjust that volume at the aftermarket devices.

How then you did it?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftconstruct View Post
Technic - In that link you provided, what type of sealant did you use for the SWS subs in the factory enclosures?

Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but with all the research i have done from this website, I decided to go with the BSW stage 1 upgrade (if it ever comes out) and SWS 8" subs powered by the BP 275 amp. My questions are: where is the best (and easiest) place to ground the BP amp, and does the power need to be supplied with a direct connection from the battery or can it be tapped from the power supply to the L7 amp? Since the BP amp will supply the subs, will the L7 amp draw less power than before when it was feeding the sub channels? I ask because I wanted to know if i'm basically adding only a few more watts or using all the L7 power plus the additional amp.
You should connect the THA275 directly to the battery + terminal and to the ground point on top of the left fender each with a proper 8 gauge line. You need to protect the individual amps in case of an electrical failure.

You do not want one amp taking down both.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
parboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 corvette c6 6 speed

I have an L7 car with BT, no nav. I am using the cleansweep and summing module from JL, aftermarket amps, etc. The phone, door buzzer, warning chimes, etc are all now amplified in my system and their volume is dependent on system volume. In other words, if I have my system volume (which is controlled by the JL cleansweep volume knob, my factory radio is set to a certain volume and not used anymore) set high, then all those sounds are loud. It really hasn't been problematic for me. I simply keep system volume low when getting into or out of the car and the chimes are ok. Even when I have the system turned up and get BT notification a call is coming in, it's not an intrusively loud sound.

Yes, it takes some getting used to but it's nothing I can't live with. Especially after hearing the difference the aftermarket audio makes.
      02-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parboy View Post
I have an L7 car with BT, no nav. I am using the cleansweep and summing module from JL, aftermarket amps, etc. The phone, door buzzer, warning chimes, etc are all now amplified in my system and their volume is dependent on system volume. In other words, if I have my system volume (which is controlled by the JL cleansweep volume knob, my factory radio is set to a certain volume and not used anymore) set high, then all those sounds are loud. It really hasn't been problematic for me. I simply keep system volume low when getting into or out of the car and the chimes are ok. Even when I have the system turned up and get BT notification a call is coming in, it's not an intrusively loud sound.

Yes, it takes some getting used to but it's nothing I can't live with. Especially after hearing the difference the aftermarket audio makes.
All those OEM volumes are independently adjusted -at least in the MY2007-2009 3 Series-, so you should be able to compensate those without re-calibrating the Cleansweep.

Are we talking about MY2006? Perhaps the MY2006 did not have that capability...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here is what i have been working on. I have installed an Audiocontrol LC8 and taped the rear speaker and underseat subs only. I then use the factory radio and set the fader all the way to the back. Now i left the factory front speakers and center speaker in but unplugged the factory subs. Now, the summing module is giving me a clean signal and that goes into my Zapco amps. I use Image Dynamic under dash horns and 5x7 in either the kick panels or we will build an enclosure in the lower part of the doors. Now when i get a call or the nav voice talks, it mutes ( lowers ) the music to all speakers and the voice/ car sounds come out of the factory speakers. In my testing it worked like a charm. I will let you know when its all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you put an idmax in a custom enclosure take pics and let me know how that comes out. I have an idmax 12 that I'll be bringing over to the new car once I get it and want an idea of what to do with such a big sub yet retain some usable trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
parboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All those OEM volumes are independently adjusted -at least in the MY2007-2009 3 Series-, so you should be able to compensate those without re-calibrating the Cleansweep.

Are we talking about MY2006? Perhaps the MY2006 did not have that capability...
Im 2008 model year. In my situation, those sounds are affected by where I have the gains set on my amp. Thankfully, I am able to keep the gains low and still have plenty of volume for my liking. They also change in proportion to system volume controlled by my CS volume knob. If there is some way to change them independent of system volume or amp gain, please let me know. I have calibrated the CS with the factory HU volume at a pre-set level and never touch it anymore.
      02-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Im 2008 model year. In my situation, those sounds are affected by where I have the gains set on my amp. Thankfully, I am able to keep the gains low and still have plenty of volume for my liking. They also change in proportion to system volume controlled by my CS volume knob. If there is some way to change them independent of system volume or amp gain, please let me know. I have calibrated the CS with the factory HU volume at a pre-set level and never touch it anymore.
Quote:
...you need to make a phone call and enter a destination address in the iDrive and then adjust the phone and Nav volume level right while listening to the phone conversation and to the Nav directions using the OEM volume knob to match up the new amplification/processing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am actually going to put either a set of IDQ 12's or IDQ 15's free air. It should look simalar to this...

My old M5 had a free air setup... http://www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
parboy
Private
United_States
Rep

I can do that, but the volume of the BT, chimes, etc. still changes with the volume control of the CS knob. No matter where I have stock HU volume set, those other sounds still are dependant on system volume. When I had the LC8 in the car, they were tied to the stock HU volume. I've just learned to deal with it and not worry about it
      02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I am actually going to put either a set of IDQ 12's or IDQ 15's free air. It should look simalar to this...

My old M5 had a free air setup... http://www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Gotcha. Thats gonna sound killer. I love ID subs. They just sound great. Very musical. Im going to end up doing a custom enclosure, just havent figured out how I want/where in the trunk I want to do it yet. Guess I will have to wait for the car to decide! lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I can do that, but the volume of the BT, chimes, etc. still changes with the volume control of the CS knob. No matter where I have stock HU volume set, those other sounds still are dependant on system volume. When I had the LC8 in the car, they were tied to the stock HU volume. I've just learned to deal with it and not worry about it
You do not have to use the CS Master Volume knob... the trade offs are not critical at all.
Appreciate 0