E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Datalog: Boost graph question

01-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Datalog: Boost graph question

(This has been commented in an other topic but as I wouldnt like to ruin the original discussion i post this new thread here)

I've noticed that after the installation of intercooler ,the boost graph on my datalogs appears some tiny ripples all the way across the log.

Is that normal? Does this indicates a boost leak? If it was a boost leak shouldn't it be a considerable boost drop on the graph as the revs increasing?
As you see the graph is pretty flat.

I've also noticed today that I cannot calibrate my digital boost gauge. It seems like vacum pressure is not steady (gauge is displaying various values between -1psi to +0,5/0,6psi).

I would appreciate some opinions on this as i'm not sure what is REALLY going on.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Looks fine to me?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

The procede logs at such a high rate that it displays every miniscule/quick move (better than too slow and not enough data).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Check connections..2psi boost oscillations seems a bit much. Could be a slight leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
The procede logs at such a high rate that it displays every miniscule/quick move (better than too slow and not enough data).

What you're referring to is just slight movement across tiny periods of time, when you're zoomed out as far as you are it looks like that

here is another one (in closer view).

Have a look on an older datalog i have...

Would i really mind the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
Check connections..2psi boost oscillations seems a bit much. Could be a slight leak somewhere.
Yes..thats possibly the reason my gauge cant be calibrated. what kind of leak could it be ? If it was an IC hose it would be a major leak ,right?

Could it be a slightly damaged/scratched vacum hose (solenoid??)??

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

does it feel like you have a leak?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
does it feel like you have a leak?
Not at all...but i cant find another reason the gauge cant calibrated to 0psi and the boost log starts having (all of a sudden) these ripples.

Last edited by Panoz; 01-20-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

solenoid leak, frayed boost hose connection..who knows. Obviously, 1st place to look would be the IC connections..grab a mirror and look all around to see if there are any signs...Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
The best way to look for signs of a leak is to compare Debug Word 4 (wastegate DC) holding all other things equal (boost, rpm, etc,.) I really doubt you have a leak. Just seems as if you are getting more signal pulsation than before which could be caused by more pressurized volume between the turbo and the throttle body. Just a guess but I really dont think it's anything to worry about. I've seen plenty of logs with that high frequency noise. If you start throwing underboost codes or see wastegate DC jump by noticeable amount, then i'd start looking for boost leaks.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
Proper Motion LLC
Custom Powder Coater
Rep
Drives: White 335i Sedan

scalbert scared you huh
      01-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
... I've also noticed today that I cannot calibrate my digital boost gauge. It seems like vacum pressure is not steady (gauge is displaying various values between -1psi to +0,5/0,6psi).

I would appreciate some opinions on this as i'm not sure what is REALLY going on.
The boost gauges I know measure hg/in vacuum pressure which is different. Each PSI = 2 hg/in.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
The boost gauges I know measure hg/in vacuum pressure which is different. Each PSI = 2 hg/in.
vacuum is inHg , correct
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
vacuum is inHg , correct
RiXst3r , is it be possible that a slight leak could mess up the boost gauge functionality? Your gauge was working flawlessly until recently.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
chiefsotos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 E93

Quote:
RiXst3r , is it be possible that a slight leak could mess up the boost gauge functionality? Your gauge was working flawlessly until recently.
My friend Pano, even if you have a tiny hole in the hoses that are mounted to the boost gauge or dv valves, then the boost gauge will be permantly indicating 0psi boost(i have a tiny hole and understand it immediatlly watching the boost gauge & after accelarating hard having limp).
I also don't believe that some zip ties, in the connections, will help (just offers some extra secure) because if the hose poped of you will understand it immediatly.

Quote:
If it was a boost leak shouldn't it be a considerable boost drop on the graph as the revs increasing?
As you see the graph is pretty flat.
I think the boost graph is normal. You should be worried if the boost spikes are more than 1psi. If you take a look in boost graphs of other high tuned cars(like audi s3 or evo) you will noticed much more oscillations, but as and in our cars you can't feel it with your but. And as Shiv said the procede reads a lot more data per sec than obd port in the above cars.
If you have an intercooler's pipe leak, then that leak wouldn't be small, and you could feel it especially in high rpm (The pressure drop should be constant). But in your graph the boost is "table" until high.

So it all seems fine to me...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so why this damn boost gauge isn't calibrating?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #16
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

What is your procedure to calibrate the boost gauge and which gauge do you own ? I calibrated with engine shut off.

Although the engine will not see the boost spikes while you shift - in case the throttle is closed causing the spike - they seem to be quite high. Using a flash, I currently never spike above 16.5 PSI while shifting ( it's cold here outside, winter season ). Do you see +20 PSI spikes on the gauge as well, by recalling maximum boost ?

p.s. does not look like you have a boost leak, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
so why this damn boost gauge isn't calibrating?
PM Sent... gave you a few things to try...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09AlpineTTSedan View Post
scalbert scared you huh
That was not the intention.

I was primarily looking at the comparison between the DV's and that the stock looked the smoothest.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Panoz, you are fine and no real evidence of a leak IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Guys...thank you so much for helping me out to find out what is going on.
The graph didn't also looked like to me as well having a leak (seems prety steady in terms of boost level) but considering the boost gauge reaction i was really thoughtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
What is your procedure to calibrate the boost gauge and which gauge do you own ? I calibrated with engine shut off.

Although the engine will not see the boost spikes while you shift - in case the throttle is closed causing the spike - they seem to be quite high. Using a flash, I currently never spike above 16.5 PSI while shifting ( it's cold here outside, winter season ). Do you see +20 PSI spikes on the gauge as well, by recalling maximum boost ?

p.s. does not look like you have a boost leak, IMO.
I have one of the very first versions of Rixt3r boost gauge. I never see spikes more than 16,5 to 17,3 (only once or twice, ever). I used to do calibration with the engine completely cold (and shut off ,of course).
Its very cold here as well (for our standards) between 5-8 degrees (i'm serious! this is cold for us ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
That was not the intention.

I was primarily looking at the comparison between the DV's and that the stock looked the smoothest.
You didnt scare me...it was just the cherry on the pie as i was also very sceptical due to boost gauge reaction.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
I have one of the very first versions of Rixt3r boost gauge.
Actually, I think you have THE first unit that went out to any customer! the first 4 or 5 units that went out didn't have the same hardware as all of the gauges that I have shipped since... it may actually be causing what you see (when there is no boost or vac, the peizo element will float a bit, causing what you see). We used a different sensor conditioning method on the final version that started shipping almost 2 years ago.

-Rick
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #22
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here I am again...

It was not raining today so i thought i would take the car out for testing.

I still think that something is not right. My boost graphs seems to slightly decline as long as revs increases (something that was not happening on my original logs).

Any ideas?

Last edited by Panoz; 01-25-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0