E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > D-rating on springs. What are D5 and D7 from?

11-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in a lot of traffic

D-rating on springs. What are D5 and D7 from?

I'm putting my car back to stock height and I bought a set of ZSP springs off another member. Before I spend the money on install I want to be sure that these will work and give me the correct height. My car is an 07 335i sedan 6AT. Rating on the springs I bought are D7 front and D5 rear. Searched the forum but it won't allow you to search a term as short as "D5" and google wasn't much help either. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
I'm putting my car back to stock height and I bought a set of ZSP springs off another member. Before I spend the money on install I want to be sure that these will work and give me the correct height. My car is an 07 335i sedan 6AT. Rating on the springs I bought are D7 front and D5 rear. Searched the forum but it won't allow you to search a term as short as "D5" and google wasn't much help either. TIA.
The labels do not tell you exactly which springs you have. D7, for example, is the label on both 335i auto and 335d front sport springs, but the rates are different and the part numbers are different. I have confirmed this.

I just installed springs selected by VIN and ordered by p/n, and they are D7 and definitely not from a 335i auto! [EDIT: Now I'm not 100% sure about this, because my new springs may yet settle down to where 335i auto springs would be. Also, it's possible the auto and the d use the same spring, and the auto rides a tad higher than the manual. So I'd be surprised that two cars of such different weight are using the same spring, but it's possible.]

In order to predict height, you need to know the chassis, year, and options -- sports package, and transmission -- of the car the springs came off of, and the ride height of that car when it was wearing your springs. Older cars use different equipment in the front stack. 1 series cars use different equipment in the front stack.

Plus, you need to know what equipment *you* have, in this case the strut mount. I think you are OK here. You have an 07, and therefore you should have the ...098 mount whether or not you have ZSP.

Since you didn't order the springs new you can't check the part number, which would tell you exactly what you have. Short of putting them on a spring tester, I think you'll have to install them and see.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.

Last edited by luckyu; 11-17-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. I was able to confirm from the seller that they're off his 08 335i E90 6MT with ZSP. My car being an 07 335i E90 6AT with ZSP, the only difference is that the springs are one year newer and for a manual rather than auto transmission. So it may be slightly lower in the front due to the heavier transmission but I assume this difference would be nominal right?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
3X3=5
Lieutenant
Rep

Actually I just looked up the official weight difference and it's only 12 pounds between manual/auto transmission. So these should return my car to precisely my stock height. I hope.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3times3 View Post
Actually I just looked up the official weight difference and it's only 12 pounds between manual/auto transmission. So these should return my car to precisely my stock height. I hope.
I agree. You'll be 0.05" lower than the MT sport's stock height.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0