E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need HELP BAD!

02-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
predacon47
Rep
Drives: white E90

Need HELP BAD!

06 325i
Problem just started last week. I went to my car in the morning to start my car and it started just fine. When I tried starting it to head home after work, my car didn't want to start. I had to jump it. I just replaced the batter 4 days prior. Now it's in my garage, it wont even turn over without a jump. It started just fine after battery replacement, days latter and it seems like the battery is dead again. I checked if I left any lights on, I found nothing. I need any help. I bought the car owner to owner w/o warranty so everything is going to be out of pocket for me. Anybody has any clues on what's going on?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

take it back to place where you got your battery and see if the battery is losing its charge. the battery is new so it shouldn't be an issue with the car. check the cables and ask if the battery was registered to the car's ecu.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
predacon47
Rep

I did take the battery back two days ago. Autozone said that it was a little low, so they put it on the charger for an hour. He also said that it wasn't the batter and that it was something on my car draining the batt...????...I'm really clueless on where to go from there. I don't really know much about cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

battery may need to be registered because it's not charging properly. the original battery was an AGM type and needed to be set up correctly with the ECU. you said you bought the battery at autozone, which leads me to think that the battery was non AGM and not registered. it's ok that its non AGM, but not getting the battery registered poses several problems. the ECU thinks that the new battery is the old one, and may be charging it to a different amperage and maybe not enough to keep its cold cranking amps. if you can find an independent BMW garage which can register your battery, it will be way cheaper than doing it at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
battery may need to be registered because it's not charging properly. the original battery was an AGM type and needed to be set up correctly with the ECU. you said you bought the battery at autozone, which leads me to think that the battery was non AGM and not registered. it's ok that its non AGM, but not getting the battery registered poses several problems. the ECU thinks that the new battery is the old one, and may be charging it to a different amperage and maybe not enough to keep its cold cranking amps. if you can find an independent BMW garage which can register your battery, it will be way cheaper than doing it at the dealer.
Why do you think the original battery was an AGM?

While registration is needed, what is more likely that something went wrong during the installation. These cars aren't like the old ones where you have two fat indestructible cables; our cars have very fragile electronics built into the cables that are frequently damaged if you just jank on the cables to remove them from the posts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Bartman619
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Why do you think the original battery was an AGM?

While registration is needed, what is more likely that something went wrong during the installation. These cars aren't like the old ones where you have two fat indestructible cables; our cars have very fragile electronics built into the cables that are frequently damaged if you just jank on the cables to remove them from the posts.

It doesn't matter if the car is or was using an AGM or not. i doub't the cables are an issue since it was able to start when charged. Maybe this will show some insight to Battery Registration.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Battery Replacement[1].pdf (117.5 KB, 160 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

not a battery register issue, unlikely its a battery cable issue, you most likely have a battery draw...find someone who knows what they are doing to fix your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the car is or was using an AGM or not. i doub't the cables are an issue since it was able to start when charged. Maybe this will show some insight to Battery Registration.
Of course it matters if it is AGM or not and there are many people here that actually understand battery registration better that you do.

Oh, your link not workee.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
predacon47
Rep

Thanks for the help everyone! Is there anything I can try before I send it off to a Euro mechanic? I am not very mechanical inclined so Barney Style would be great. Thanks again everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by predacon47 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone! Is there anything I can try before I send it off to a Euro mechanic? I am not very mechanical inclined so Barney Style would be great. Thanks again everyone.
+1 on new battery setup/registration.

If higher rating battery is installed, CAS needs recoding with new specs.

Battery registration with BMW scan tool or equivalent.

Reinitialize certain systems, ie. steering angle sensor.

You're going to need to find someone with a tool that can do these things for you. Maybe try in the regional forum to find someone in your area.

One thing to check if you have power windows, does the window roll up/down automatically when you push it past the resistance point. If the person that helped you install the battery didn't make sure this functions as it should then probably didn't do the steps above either.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
AGMs only come standard on M cars. They can be retrofitted at the DEALER but non-M cars never come from the factory with AGMs.

OP, why did you get your battery replaced? Did you get voltage warnings? Did any convenience features (Comfort Access, Heated seats, defroster, etc) stop working?

If so, you need to have your battery registered to your car, provided you replaced the battery with the same Ah and Type, non-AGM (or AGM if it was previously retrofitted).

Our cars do not charge our batteries until the car has been warmed up and RPMs are held above 1500rpms. So short distance driving will kill your battery and you need to get a tender to maintain it. Or retrofit an AGM which is less prone to damage from a complete discharge. A lead acid battery will corrode with low voltage and decrease capacity.

If you bought the wrong battery and cannot return it, you need to have it programmed to your car. Options are 46Ah, 50Ah, 60Ah, 70Ah, 80Ah, and 90Ah, lead acid. 70, 80, and 90Ah, AGM.

After programming, the battery needs to be registered.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
If you want to keep your invest in an AGM for more than a year, you'll want to get it programmed (for a non-M) and registered.

Otherwise, the battery will prematurely die due to improper charging. Since AGMs charge differently, it IS necessary to program them.

Of course the cables don't matter.....

Read up: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473109
Appreciate 0