E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I've been flagged and denied - almost solved.

05-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #683
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Pre-owned?
I paid 46K and was offered 33K 13 months later with 14,000 miles by 3 different delaerships/buyers. My SA said they had less than stellar re-sale. Hmmm.
Sorry to have initiated this OT, but no, I bought mine brand new, first day of build, Euro delivery. Check the link in my sig.

BMWs, MBs, Audis, and other high end autos invariably suffer initial depreciation (unless the supply is low, like when the E92s were hard to get) because wealthy buyers can afford to be picky and get their own special new car, rather than be frugal and get someone else's discard. Keep it for >5 years and it will retain a relatively high %.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #684
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

I think there are two issues at play:

- BMW choosing not to work (e.g., replace fuel pump) on modified cars under warranty (e.g., maybe willing to accept fuel pump is plausibly unrelated, but not willing to replace it on a modified car)

- BMW rejecting claims that are evidently causally related to modifications

In other words, the "flag" may have more to do with item 1. I would presume clearing the flag does not clear the records that mods were present. If in 6 months the turbos give out, I suspect the warranty issue will (rightfully) resurface.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #685
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

On resale values:

Even the CEO of BMW has stated that used-car values are one of the first casualties of a softening economy. This is true of all motor vehicle lines.

Regardless of what 50K car you purchased 12 months ago, the resale will be softer than it would have been in different economic times.

You can do the thinking about demographics of new vs used buyers (in aggregate, obviously anybody might buy a particular vehicle) and their exposure to the economy.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #686
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy85 View Post
1. Your lucky to be rattle free

2. I personally am not worried about resale because thats not what I bought it for (plus I lease only)

3. I was merley stating that Boost_Nation should have taken his procede out when he went in for replacement on his fuel pump. I don't think taking out your tune for a fuel pump is fraud especially since it wasn't the cause for the fuel pump failure.

With that said, my point was if their blaming his fuel pump failure on his procede, thats a bunch of shit! If his turbo's were to blow out thats a different story, but were talking about a fuel pump thats notorious on our cars for going bad.....
Look at it from BMW's perspective. They do not know whether this or that mod affects the HPFP, especially at first. So all they can do is have a blanket policy, you run the engine outside of our specs and it's your responsibility. That said, once it became clear that there were faulty HPFPs, BMW has replaced them under warranty. In BN's case, it took a little while to get sorted out. A few other cases took a while too, but they were covered under warranty. All in all, quite a number of HPFPs have been replaced in tuned cars (that BMW knew were tuned, but the dealer/SA might not have known because the piggy was taken out before service) under warranty. Tunes probably put some additional stress on the HPFP, but that is clearly not the root problem, and BMW has been forthright, IMO, about standing up and replacing them under warranty even if they did not 'legally' have to do so. I continue to view BMW as an exceptionally trustworthy corporation.

In regard to rattles, I don't think I'm lucky. The vast majority of E9xs are rattle-free. And the few rattles are a result of close tolerances on interior bits (easily fixed once located), as compared with the structural/chassis flex problems on some other makes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #687
addy85
Got beef?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Look at it from BMW's perspective. They do not know whether this or that mod affects the HPFP, especially at first. So all they can do is have a blanket policy, you run the engine outside of our specs and it's your responsibility. That said, once it became clear that there were faulty HPFPs, BMW has replaced them under warranty. In BN's case, it took a little while to get sorted out. A few other cases took a while too, but they were covered under warranty. All in all, quite a number of HPFPs have been replaced in tuned cars (that BMW knew were tuned, but the dealer/SA might not have known because the piggy was taken out before service) under warranty. Tunes probably put some additional stress on the HPFP, but that is clearly not the root problem, and BMW has been forthright, IMO, about standing up and replacing them under warranty even if they did not 'legally' have to do so. I continue to view BMW as an exceptionally trustworthy corporation.

In regard to rattles, I don't think I'm lucky. The vast majority of E9xs are rattle-free. And the few rattles are a result of close tolerances on interior bits (easily fixed once located), as compared with the structural/chassis flex problems on some other makes.
I'm not sure were on the same page. I'm not defending tuners (check on some of my other posts) the main reason I even posted in this thread was I founded it ignorant that such a big deal was made about BT's warranty being voided because it was kind of his fault, and he acted suprise. But I also stated that he should of just taken the PROcede out when he went in for service. Seems like common sense to me Then I was hit with the fraud card which was pretty dumb considering the HPFP's have been faulty before tunes were out. Thats pretty much my point

p.s. I guess we'll agree to disagree :

Special Thanks to AU335
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #688
WAYNEBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I've read the meat & potatoes of this thread, and my philosophical 2 cents is that the 335i is a tuner's dream car -- but it is still THEIR baby. BMW must have known this was going to happen... considering the popularity of competitor's turbo offerings (STi, Evo, etc), and the state of gas prices forcing engines w/ smaller cubic inches and F/I for performance compensation.

Like it was echoed earlier in this thread... they gained many converts from the Suby, Mitsu, Honda worlds. Why then would they cut the hand that feeds them on this model? Was it only designed as a stop gap to the new M3? A me-too offering to fight the G37 and IS350? Of course our butt dynos would eventually yearn for more performance, considering it is so easy to bring to the surface. In my opinion, us modders take a pretty good base product and make it a rolling billboard that helps manufacturers sell more vehicles... How many more sales probably happened as a result of someone seeing how a nicely modded 335i looked/sounded going down the road? Hot rodding is an American tradition and like us or not, we help the auto industry with our passion and ingenuity. I once saw a cool license plate frame that said, "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock"...

Bottom line is they are the ones footing the warranty bill.... times are tough for everyone on this Rock. They are just squeezing every penny they can. And this apparently means eliminating the unknown variable of "cottage industry" tuners, and ultimately replacing them with their own performance ("tii") division.

We may all have to play their ballgame, and rely on what they want to provide us. We don't have to like it... trust me I don't --- which means they just lost another loyal consumer. Oh well, right? Now how do you say that in German?
      07-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #689
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Sell the car at Carmax and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #690
jtecnik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TE Yas Marina

did you get warranty back?
Appreciate 0