E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Codes 2A82 / 3100 CEL

02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i MT

Codes 2A82 / 3100 CEL

Was driving to work today and car went into limp mode. I had already driven 25 miles and was just about to work. I was sitting at idle and started pulling away from the stop light and the CEL came up (half yellow engine). I got to work, parked the car and restarted after work w/o any issues. Also no CEL on my 20+ mile trip back home. As an aside, I did top off my oil this morning. It was a little low, a quarter way up between the min and max lines. I topped it off and the oil is now reading up to the max line. I'm not sure if this would have contributed to the CEL.
I did some research and from my understanding the codes are related to the camshaft/VANOS. I noticed a service bulletin out (SI B11 02 08) regarding the camshafts. The bulletin states the the work is covered under a "new car warranty." The car is not new and is out of warranty. Has anyone heard of the dealer doing the work on a car that is not "new", but still covered? Or is it best to take it to an indy?
Thanks.

Last edited by gatoracer; 02-12-2013 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

That 2A82 fault is a Vanos code, and is USUALLY caused by a bad Vanos solenoid. I say usually, because sometimes there is wear on the camshaft bearing ledge that causes a loss of oil supply to the Vanos units that can cause the same fault code / symptoms.

This is one of the reasons I believe in changing the oil on my N54 cars much earlier than BMW recommends. How many miles on your car? How's it been maintained?
      02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
That 2A82 fault is a Vanos code, and is USUALLY caused by a bad Vanos solenoid. I say usually, because sometimes there is wear on the camshaft bearing ledge that causes a loss of oil supply to the Vanos units that can cause the same fault code / symptoms.

This is one of the reasons I believe in changing the oil on my N54 cars much earlier than BMW recommends. How many miles on your car? How's it been maintained?
I have been changing it every 5K miles, using Mobil 1. But I have only had the car for 10 months. The car has 95K miles on it. I had the dealer pull the maint records before I bought the car and the car had been getting regular service at the dealer. I did a little research and I have seen recommendations to change the VANOS solenoids at 100k-120K. I found a DIY here to change at least the one on the top of the motor. $110 for the part, I may just do it as preventative myself. I hope there isn't any abnormal wear on the camshaft bearing ledge.

Thanks for the feedback.
      04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
vqpro2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black ex. red in. navi sport p

vanos

so what became of this problem what was the fix
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
gatoracer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqpro2 View Post
so what became of this problem what was the fix
I just cleaned the intake solenoid. Used the DIY on the site. Haven't had the code pop up since.