E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust/Muffler Questions

11-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Exhaust/Muffler Questions

does anyone know the INLET pipe diamter on a e92 328's muffler? i'm talking about the diameter of the pipe i circled in red here

also, this is probably a dumb question but if i wanted to remove my muffler i could do it pretty easily right? just a few bolts? i want to hear how it sounds like before i decide what exhaust route to go

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #2
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
does anyone know the INLET pipe diamter on a e92 328's muffler? i'm talking about the diameter of the pipe i circled in red here

also, this is probably a dumb question but if i wanted to remove my muffler i could do it pretty easily right? just a few bolts? i want to hear how it sounds like before i decide what exhaust route to go

thanks!
If you wanted to remove the muffler only, you would need to cut it off sucks to say but the only place you can unbolt the system is where the header meets the mid pipes and that exhaust note is completely different then when it actually comes out of the exhaust pipes, I can't see the picture so I'm guessing you mean the inlet of the stock muffler? It is roughly 2.5in. And pre resonator, it is 2in
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
If you wanted to remove the muffler only, you would need to cut it off sucks to say but the only place you can unbolt the system is where the header meets the mid pipes and that exhaust note is completely different then when it actually comes out of the exhaust pipes, I can't see the picture so I'm guessing you mean the inlet of the stock muffler? It is roughly 2.5in. And pre resonator, it is 2in
oh i see, for some reason the pic is taking a while to load but yes the inlet of the stock muffler, thank you so much for your help! were you the person with the muffler delete? i vaugly remember your username when i posted a thread about it a few weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh i see, for some reason the pic is taking a while to load but yes the inlet of the stock muffler, thank you so much for your help! were you the person with the muffler delete? i vaugly remember your username when i posted a thread about it a few weeks ago
I actually don't have a muffler delete (anymore) but the giant hks jdm style muffler on my car lol! But no problem at all, if you're in need of some help with your exhaust, just lmk. I'm not the biggest exhaust whore but I know a good amount of info to help you in your pursuit of sound and power
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I actually don't have a muffler delete (anymore) but the giant hks jdm style muffler on my car lol! But no problem at all, if you're in need of some help with your exhaust, just lmk. I'm not the biggest exhaust whore but I know a good amount of info to help you in your pursuit of sound and power
LOL! i've kinda had a soft spot for hks mufflers actually on rsxs (shh) but you did have a muffler delete right? howd you like it? i'm considering doing a custom quad, but can't decide if i want to do a muffler delete or use a universal muffler. do you happen to know if our cars will pass smog if i do a secondary cat delete?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL! i've kinda had a soft spot for hks mufflers actually on rsxs (shh) but you did have a muffler delete right? howd you like it? i'm considering doing a custom quad, but can't decide if i want to do a muffler delete or use a universal muffler. do you happen to know if our cars will pass smog if i do a secondary cat delete?
Haha as do I I find that it comes out nicely being as the e90 has a curved body
I did have a muffler delete but it didn't exactly put the note I was looking for. I did like it though, it was my first "performance" mod. A muffler tends to have a nicer tone than a delete because it doesn't drone as bad but it is a lot cheaper to do a delete than buying a muffler. If I was going back towards the oem looking route, id get a cherry bomb muffler (cheaper than magnaflow by far and sounds just as good) with the quads or perhaps large tips on a 328i like frankiE90 (I believe that's his name)
I have a res and 2ndary cat delete and it definitely doesn't pass smog lol plus if you go towards a muffler delete, res delete and cat delete, expect A LOT of hate from cops and neighbors. Cold starts with my car vibrate the entire house and I can't drive by a cop quietly anymore and I have an actual muffler. With the muffler delete, you have no way out. Its major drone 80-100% of the time. When going to a muffler shop to get the 2ndary cat delete, ask for them to cut and weld the cats and ask them to make "test pipes" in place so whenever you wanna switch off, you can do it easily. It'll cost more to turn your system into a bolted system vs. 1 piece weld but definitely worth it if you get a state ref or fix-it ticket. Make sure you DON'T give the shop the cats or any pieces. That way when smog time comes, you can save money and just bolt the cats back on yourself
I have too much knowledge about this and ill help you from my mistakes, just give me a pm and ill shoot you my number if you need it too
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha as do I I find that it comes out nicely being as the e90 has a curved body
I did have a muffler delete but it didn't exactly put the note I was looking for. I did like it though, it was my first "performance" mod. A muffler tends to have a nicer tone than a delete because it doesn't drone as bad but it is a lot cheaper to do a delete than buying a muffler. If I was going back towards the oem looking route, id get a cherry bomb muffler (cheaper than magnaflow by far and sounds just as good) with the quads or perhaps large tips on a 328i like frankiE90 (I believe that's his name)
I have a res and 2ndary cat delete and it definitely doesn't pass smog lol plus if you go towards a muffler delete, res delete and cat delete, expect A LOT of hate from cops and neighbors. Cold starts with my car vibrate the entire house and I can't drive by a cop quietly anymore and I have an actual muffler. With the muffler delete, you have no way out. Its major drone 80-100% of the time. When going to a muffler shop to get the 2ndary cat delete, ask for them to cut and weld the cats and ask them to make "test pipes" in place so whenever you wanna switch off, you can do it easily. It'll cost more to turn your system into a bolted system vs. 1 piece weld but definitely worth it if you get a state ref or fix-it ticket. Make sure you DON'T give the shop the cats or any pieces. That way when smog time comes, you can save money and just bolt the cats back on yourself
I have too much knowledge about this and ill help you from my mistakes, just give me a pm and ill shoot you my number if you need it too

thanks for the info man! looks like the muffler delete isn't the right option for me then, i hate drone. i do love loud though, i have an agency power exhaust on my e46 m3 and.. well let's just say i never have to call my friends when i'm outside their house for them to come out since they can hear me from over half a mile away with that said though do you have a specific brand of muffler that you recommend? like i said i like loud but don't like drone. I'm thinking about doing a custom quad set up.. i'll do a quick microsoft paint sketch in a bit LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

what i have planned (in theory)

do you think there will be problems with finding places to mount the hangars?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:

Definitely dont have a degree in any sort of CAD drawing lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Definitely dont have a degree in any sort of CAD drawing lol

LOL i work in finance, drawing is not required, only excel, word, and our lease/finance specific programs
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

People on here have done this exact thing before....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...exhaust&page=3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=dual+exhaust

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=dual+exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

thanks for the links! damn i didn't even think about just using the two pipes that come out and splitting them! that's genius!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info man! looks like the muffler delete isn't the right option for me then, i hate drone. i do love loud though, i have an agency power exhaust on my e46 m3 and.. well let's just say i never have to call my friends when i'm outside their house for them to come out since they can hear me from over half a mile away with that said though do you have a specific brand of muffler that you recommend? like i said i like loud but don't like drone. I'm thinking about doing a custom quad set up.. i'll do a quick microsoft paint sketch in a bit LOL
Lol loud without drone? Hmm... if you're willing to spend the money, the BMW PE sounds perfect (far from a bmw fan boy, I just think that it'll suit you the best.) The PE has minimal to no drone, loud and crisp with backfires. But if you don't have the money to just blow on an exhaust system, give cherry bomb pro or glasspack. They're both pretty loud with lower drone. From there, weld on the requested tips that makes your boat float and there you go lol
Btw, the PE with a quad set up actually looks pretty nice, I just hate the "oem or die" fanboys that's why I am a bit against the exhaust system. They usually all hate on my exhaust -.- but the system actually isn't bad at all, sounds pretty nice though
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:

It's been done before so you shouldn't have a problem, I'm sure a muffler shop could get it done
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Lol loud without drone? Hmm... if you're willing to spend the money, the BMW PE sounds perfect (far from a bmw fan boy, I just think that it'll suit you the best.) The PE has minimal to no drone, loud and crisp with backfires. But if you don't have the money to just blow on an exhaust system, give cherry bomb pro or glasspack. They're both pretty loud with lower drone. From there, weld on the requested tips that makes your boat float and there you go lol
Btw, the PE with a quad set up actually looks pretty nice, I just hate the "oem or die" fanboys that's why I am a bit against the exhaust system. They usually all hate on my exhaust -.- but the system actually isn't bad at all, sounds pretty nice though
i did some googleing on cherry bomb after reading this, looks like if i want to go that route i would have to do the glasspacks and two of them at that and then split them, the chery bomb pro looks like it has a single inlet with single out so if i want to do quad, i would have to split and then split again which i would prefer not to do.

this is the setup i have on my m3 and i want it to sound (at least loudness level) close to this, what do you recommend?

this isn't my video and not my car, but same setup as i have, skip to 1:04 to bypass the useless music lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
It's been done before so you shouldn't have a problem, I'm sure a muffler shop could get it done
hopefully! ive been reading some people losing low end torque from doing this so i'm a bit scared
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i did some googleing on cherry bomb after reading this, looks like if i want to go that route i would have to do the glasspacks and two of them at that and then split them, the chery bomb pro looks like it has a single inlet with single out so if i want to do quad, i would have to split and then split again which i would prefer not to do.

this is the setup i have on my m3 and i want it to sound (at least loudness level) close to this, what do you recommend?

this isn't my video and not my car, but same setup as i have, skip to 1:04 to bypass the useless music lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

hopefully! ive been reading some people losing low end torque from doing this so i'm a bit scared
Ouch, to have that loudness, you'd need a resonator and cat delete. Expand the piping after the muffler and keep it at 2.5in and go with your quad. Try the cherry bomb extreme since you are in the sound pursuit like I am lol
When you do a resonator delete, use the muffler in place of the resonator and have the dual outlet feed out behind the axle and split it into a quad setup. If you find that its not loud enough, just do a full race pipe set up (no cats, resonator, or muffler) I recommend keeping the cats on the headers though. It'll still be extremely loud
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #17
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ouch, to have that loudness, you'd need a resonator and cat delete. Expand the piping after the muffler and keep it at 2.5in and go with your quad. Try the cherry bomb extreme since you are in the sound pursuit like I am lol
When you do a resonator delete, use the muffler in place of the resonator and have the dual outlet feed out behind the axle and split it into a quad setup. If you find that its not loud enough, just do a full race pipe set up (no cats, resonator, or muffler) I recommend keeping the cats on the headers though. It'll still be extremely loud
lol damn, i want to keep my car smog legal by all means so a cat delete is out of the question for me . i was going to do a resonator delete with a universal muffler so your idea is similar to what i was thinking of, but if i put the muffler where the resonator is i'm afraid the sound would come more from "under" the car as opposed to the rear, is that a problem? since the muffler would be placed more in the middle of the chasis as opposed to the rear. i have no clue why in my original pic i included a resonator i was going to put straight pipes there lol, guess i wasn't thinking when i drew that pic haha
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #18
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

also with all these universal mufflers what would you recommend? i was leaning towards magnaflow since i have it on my clk500 and it sounds pretty good but then again that car does have a v8 and my 328i is only an i6 , i'm under the imperssion that cherry bomb and flowmaster are more for muscle cars, am i wrong? i don't want my car to sound .. ricey lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol damn, i want to keep my car smog legal by all means so a cat delete is out of the question for me . i was going to do a resonator delete with a universal muffler so your idea is similar to what i was thinking of, but if i put the muffler where the resonator is i'm afraid the sound would come more from "under" the car as opposed to the rear, is that a problem? since the muffler would be placed more in the middle of the chasis as opposed to the rear. i have no clue why in my original pic i included a resonator i was going to put straight pipes there lol, guess i wasn't thinking when i drew that pic haha
Just get a high flow cat
Where the muffler is isn't a concern of where the sound comes from. As long as you have it all expel from behind the car, that's where the sound will come from. The closer the muffler is to the end, the raspier the sound will be and louder. This being because the sound doesn't have as far to travel so it doesn't "deaden" out. Sometimes people add resonators with straight pipes so it doesn't sound so raspy and race like but if you keep the cats, a res delete and new muffler will be the way to go
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
also with all these universal mufflers what would you recommend? i was leaning towards magnaflow since i have it on my clk500 and it sounds pretty good but then again that car does have a v8 and my 328i is only an i6 , i'm under the imperssion that cherry bomb and flowmaster are more for muscle cars, am i wrong? i don't want my car to sound .. ricey lol
To be honest, I've heard cherry bombs on civics and integras and it makes it sound a lot beastier than normal, those are all nice choices on muffler they're just hella expensive compaired to a cherry bomb universal. And trust me, Iknow what you mean lol I was scared of the same with my exhaust set up
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I've heard cherry bombs on civics and integras and it makes it sound a lot beastier than normal, those are all nice choices on muffler they're just hella expensive compaired to a cherry bomb universal. And trust me, Iknow what you mean lol I was scared of the same with my exhaust set up
lol thanks for the insight man, where did you get your exhaust work done? know any good shops around the area?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol thanks for the insight man, where did you get your exhaust work done? know any good shops around the area?
No problem at all!
Mmmm well I got my exhaust done at a mom nd pop shop, I don't know of any exhaust shops around your area but I hear that mike's muffler is good. Just try searching thru the recommended socal shops on here and call around, my shop is up there at well but its in long beach
Appreciate 0