E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede V4 Autotuning demo

04-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #67
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

it's not like your car is going to be 100whp down without the procede fully-educated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Sounds good. In truth, I don't think fuel trims are persistent either as they adapt rather quickly.

Just thinking of my situation now as my new office building is only five miles from my house and mostly over 35 MPH roads. No time to adapt as I rarely have the option to get on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #68
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
awesome this is really great
Now onto a question that most might like to know. Since we can switch on two maps on the fly. Will each map remember its auto tunning say if I am on map 1 and some guy in a ferrari wants to race I switch it to my high performance map 2, (saying that you have already ran this map before on days past to get it dialed in), and she is already tuned for max optimal performance right away?
Also how is your nitrous kit coming along?
shiv what about this
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #69
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
it's not like your car is going to be 100whp down without the procede fully-educated
True, but in the rare possibility that I make a right turn and come across a worthy adversary, I want all ponies available imediately.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #70
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #71
Bagelfast
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

This looks cool. I would love to see a write up on the advantages and disadvantages to say the old way things were done?
More power? More usable power on the roads?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #72
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

it extracts the most power/aggressiveness to your liking by itself, instead of YOU having to going out and datalog to "fine-tune" your setup for your mods.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #73
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
awesome this is really great
Now onto a question that most might like to know. Since we can switch on two maps on the fly. Will each map remember its auto tunning say if I am on map 1 and some guy in a ferrari wants to race I switch it to my high performance map 2, (saying that you have already ran this map before on days past to get it dialed in), and she is already tuned for max optimal performance right away?
Also how is your nitrous kit coming along?
The learned boost and timing offsets will transfer over to the map you switch to. And depending on the target aggression on that map, it will either get more aggressive or less aggressive.

But ultimately, I think people need to take a few steps back and think about the value of switching maps just to run a high performance map when they could just be running the high performance map to begin with. If you're thing is to switch maps often, then you will naturally be sacrificing auto-tuning effects as each new map will require a little bit of learning time.

Frankly, I think the value of having a map tune itself far better than I could get ever tune it myself if I were your personal tune monkey, sitting in your trunk and conduct datalogs/custom tune whenever you are driving, is higher than the value of doing the whole Fast and Furious style mapswitch when it's time to throw down and race someone lol.

Nitrous control is done. But I've been slacking on putting together a kit. I really hope to get to it by the end of this week.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 04-14-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #74
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

kudo's Shiv, some very cool stuff there.
      04-14-2010, 08:18 PM   #75
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The learned boost and timing offsets will transfer over to the map you switch to. And depending on the target aggression on that map, it will either get more aggressive or less aggressive.

But ultimately, I think people need to take a few steps back and think about the value of switching maps just to run a high performance map when they could just be running the high performance map to begin with. If you're thing is to switch maps often, then you will naturally be sacrificing auto-tuning effects as each new map will require a little bit of learning time.

Frankly, the value of having a map tune itself far better than I could get ever tune it myself if I were your personal tune monkey, sitting in your trunk and conduct datalogs/custom tune whenever you are driving, is a lot higher than the value of doing the whole Fast and Furious style mapswitch when it's time to throw down and race someone.

Nitrous control is done. But I've been slacking on putting together a kit. I really hope to get to it by the end of this week.

Shiv
I can't wait to try this autotune out...Nitrous is done along with the control of the meth second solenoid and nozzle that Procede controls right?
Please have a kit out for us to purchase already!

BTW...STOP SLACKING!! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #76
sajakh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Shiv
Keep Slacking away for putting together a Nitrous kit . . . Get on the In Dash boost gauge first!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #77
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
Keep Slacking away for putting together a Nitrous kit . . . Get on the In Dash boost gauge first!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #78
pentaxis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i

Quote:
See above.

Chances are that you will turn off your car when you are filling back up with 91oct. If so, the learned ignition and boost offsets will zero out and you will be back to your standard ignition correction and user torque values.

Shiv
That seems like a potential problem for drag racing. Cars get turned off frequently in the staging lanes. If it takes a wide open pull to readjust, that would screw with the run. Or am I not understanding this correctly?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #79
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

The ability to selectively make the learned values persist would be cool. So for daily driving (standard octane/conditions/mods) the ability to press a button so the PROcede's starting point become current the learned values. For example - if you have ign corr set at 100% in the user software, but through everyday driving it learns down to 78% wouldn't it make more sense to start the learning process at 78% the next time you start the car with similar conditions? Just seems more efficient to dial in your baseline then let the software adjust from there, especially if you don't do multiple WOT pulls every day and aren't frequently/drastically changing variables like mods/weather/octane...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #80
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
That seems like a potential problem for drag racing. Cars get turned off frequently in the staging lanes. If it takes a wide open pull to readjust, that would screw with the run. Or am I not understanding this correctly?
If you are drag racing, you can set the initial ignition correction and user torque high. So it defaults to those settings upon start up and learn from there.

And by no means are we suggesting that we wont give the option of making the learned values persistent for those in such special circumstances. But first things first.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #81
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I can't wait to try this autotune out...
In agreement. I am interested to see how it responds and if I have been too aggressive or conservative with my normal settings. Granted, I do log from time to time but do not do that with every drive which is what this will essentially do.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #82
StartupJunkie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Sedan+2 Baby Seats

Hi Folks,

I think Shiv is also saying that the base maps can be where you want it to be when you turn on the car ... meaning you can select it be as close to you maximum as you're comfortable with.

For example if this is "my car", if I use great gas, run meth all the time and I want to be ready to "go" at a moments notice, perhaps I pick a map that runs at 97% of ideal and let it auto-tune the last 3%.

For example if this is "my wife's car", then grab a map that puts the car at 90% and have it auto-tune the last 10%.

So its similar to the old way of picking the right map and dialing the last 5% via datalog/user_adjustables.

Again, this my guess at things since I haven't seen it yet.

Junk

Perf Mods: Vishnu PROcede Rev3 v5, Vishnu PWM Meth Kit, AR Design DPs, AE Exhaust, Helix FMIC, Vishnu DCI, Forge DV, WaveTrac LSD (Best Trap - 124.665mph)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #83
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

It looks like the autotune value moves in the conservative direction nearly twice as fast as it does in the aggressive direction. Is this a planned safety feature, or just coincidence based on the runs you did?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #84
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

"DME ignition advance target which we have internally mapped as a 16x16 RPM x Load table and subjected to IAT-induced trims"

how do you know what these definitive targets are?

is there a way that since we are no longer using the map switching input that it could instead be used as the meth activation output?

my ideal scenario - map 1 is my autotune no meth map, and using dtc button i can switch to map 2, which arms the meth system via an output from the procede... as opposed to having to arm or disarm the meth system with another control (ie, keyfob or hardwire switch).

will autotune work on top of progressive meth mapping?
as meth flow increases timing and boost are added in but autotune functions watch over to ensure the tune isn't too agressive and or at least meets the desired level of "aggression"?

ps: autotune is so sick and nasty amazing work.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #85
3coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe 07

I don't know why anyone would consider other tunes.

Not only has this product shown its true capability of being a full engine management system, but now with the adaptability, truly in a league of its own.

what makes this product even better than it already is, is shiv's commitment support/service, he answers all my emails in addition to the 1000s that he recieves from other satisfied users.

thanks shiv, without a doubt, its clear to see that your efforts are driven by passion.
      04-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #86
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Shiv will the procede actually change the variables in the user adjustables screen. I ask this so that I can run the car really hard one day. Then take the settings it produces and put them in my map settings latter so I have a better starting point. I dont get on the car everyday and figured this would bring my car close to optimal on start up. This also may be dumn question but can you connect to the procede with the car already running?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #87
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

So what happens if you just left your house and took a 3mi route to the highway and when you got on the highway you came across someone you wanted to "race." When you started the car the learning was zeroed out so now you technically need to do 6-7s of WOT pulls to get the learning back up to snuff, right? Well if you just went 3mi not even going faster than 50mph there is no way you did 6-7s of WOT pulls before getting on the highway and coming across that opportunity to "race." So now you're car is essentially "not tuned" and not producing "the most hp possible" when you step on the gas to race this person for a few seconds.... right? What am I missing?

Quote:

Frankly, I think the value of having a map tune itself far better than I could get ever tune it myself if I were your personal tune monkey, sitting in your trunk and conduct datalogs/custom tune whenever you are driving, is higher than the value of doing the whole Fast and Furious style mapswitch when it's time to throw down and race someone lol.

Shiv

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #88
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmike View Post
So what happens if you just left your house and took a 3mi route to the highway and when you got on the highway you came across someone you wanted to "race." When you started the car the learning was zeroed out so now you technically need to do 6-7s of WOT pulls to get the learning back up to snuff, right? Well if you just went 3mi not even going faster than 50mph there is no way you did 6-7s of WOT pulls before getting on the highway and coming across that opportunity to "race." So now you're car is essentially "not tuned" and not producing "the most hp possible" when you step on the gas to race this person for a few seconds.... right? What am I missing?
as if say for example running 45% UT and 75% IC wouldn't make the car already powerful?

autotune is designed to extract every last ounce of performance. properly setting the UT/IC for your mods/fuel quality i think will still be important if you would like the car to perform close to ideal at first start up.
Appreciate 0