E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Window Tinting Why So Difficult?!

04-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: German

Window Tinting Why So Difficult?!

Right basically I have a E92 2007 330i coupe and i have recently got the front and rear quarters tinted by a local company, however he has tried 6 times to do my rear window and he eventually was honest and said he couldn't do it because it kept bubbling etc and knocked some money off for me at the end total.

I called up a number of tinting places in southampton area and just called Monster Wraps in Southampton and they said they wont even touch it which i am surprised because they are probably the biggest tinting company in Hampshire.

Only place that are willing to do it is South Coast Tints in Southampton.
They are charging me £96 to do the rear window. i mentioned on my rear window there is a large row of matrix dots and he said it wouldnt look as nice so i suggested maybe but a gloss black vinyl over the matrix dots after or before the tint has any1 else done this before?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I have never heard of it being that hard. I had a couple of local quotes recently and a couple of the websites had E92's in the picture portfolio. I'm sure quite a few guys on here have had it done so hopefully they will be along shortly with some more info.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I imagine access is the main issue, if you imagine a hatchback or estate car they simply open the tail gate and work away, in a Coupe you need to contort yourself in the rear seat.

Certainly not impossible but probably most can't be bothered with anything other than the easy jobs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
whizzkid11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320D LCI Touring

I just got my Touring done from Eclipse Auto Films in Staples Corner, M1 J1 in London.

They have 5 people working away and were doing an E92 M3 when they finished mine.

They do all the top models for enthusiasts, local dealers and businesses. Highly recommended and reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
CRV_33
Registered
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

Too bad you aren't local because there is a shop in MN that could easily do it since most of the tint installers all drive BMW's themselves and they had no issue applying the tint on their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I looked into getting the rear of my E92 done a while back, every reputable company I spoke too was aware if the dot matrix issue on the back screen. The problem is the thickness of the dots, they are so thick they keep the film away from the screen.

Some try painting over the matrix or using black tape, others try gluing the film. Truth is none of it really works and will peel away. From outside it'll look shit!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
JackR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbot26 View Post
I looked into getting the rear of my E92 done a while back, every reputable company I spoke too was aware if the dot matrix issue on the back screen. The problem is the thickness of the dots, they are so thick they keep the film away from the screen.

Some try painting over the matrix or using black tape, others try gluing the film. Truth is none of it really works and will peel away. From outside it'll look shit!
I was also told the main problem was due to the rear de-mister. I've started to notice that not many E92s around here have rear tints at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep

yeh the guy hu done my tints said he had a issue with the de-mister. so i got all other windows tinted right now apart from the rear, i might get south coast tints to do it as they will but charging 96 for it and further 24 for a black vinyl to cover the matric dots, i give that a go and see how it goes and tell u guys how it went. if it does not work there will be a pm comming your way from the guys hu have had theres done.

thanks for the info people.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
tellis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

(E92) i recently had all my windows done and after a week i had to take mine back as the rear tint (5%) didnt set right - bubbles, lines and gaps between the dots was wide. they replaced it no problem and touch wood it is fine...... It took them 2 hours just to get the back tint right 2nd time round with lots of tutting, head shaking and took 4 people....

well worth doing though!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellis View Post
(E92) i recently had all my windows done and after a week i had to take mine back as the rear tint (5%) didnt set right - bubbles, lines and gaps between the dots was wide. they replaced it no problem and touch wood it is fine...... It took them 2 hours just to get the back tint right 2nd time round with lots of tutting, head shaking and took 4 people....

well worth doing though!
cheers for the info tellis let me know if u have any problems in the future but fingers cross u dont mate!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport

Got mine done, but the tinter did comment on what a ball ache it is for the rear window, and how he's put his price up for the e92 now. He also wanted to black vinyl over the rear dot matrix.

Last edited by Drrncour; 04-10-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Terryk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 mineral grey N47 ed

if the vehicle is a saloon or coupe and don't have fallen or totally removable rear headrests to give a bit more space to work then it is an issue.
unfortunately, bmw offers totally removable rear headrests only when you add the package of fallen rear seats.
I can remember in mine what effort the installers had to do (I don't have fallen seats) in order to tint the rear windshield.
      04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
L.Tang
Private First Class
Rep

yeah my seats fold down so it should not be a problem going to book it later on today.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #14
1275rob
Rep
Drives: E92 320i Coupe

E92 Window Tinting

Had my E92 done about four months ago, my seats fold down and it took the fitter about 2hrs to complete. I had 35% on the rear qtr's and rear screen, the fitter did a good job and intially he could not get the film to set over the dots, however after about a week once the water had dried away I ran over it again with a rubber squeegie and it set okay. The guy is a mobile fitter and you can contact him via Ebay, his Ebay ID is *rocketforce* price was £120, think he is located in the midlands but says he will travel anywhere.
Appreciate 0