E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY-Replace B-pillar gloss black trim molding (e92)

04-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

DIY-Replace B-pillar gloss black trim molding (e92)

OK, so if you ever had the pleasure of someone fking your car up (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=favor) or somehow manage to damage the exterior trim piece along the B-pillar, here’s how to replace it. Fairly simple and straight forward.

What you'll need:
Replacement part: (passenger side P/N is 51 37 7 119 194)
Plastic pry tool (screwdriver would be a bad choice as you are working on glass and around your door seals)
Flat blade razor
Cleaning solution

First start with the problem, exhibit A: oh noes!

Order this:

Removal:
Using the plastic pry tool, start at the bottom or top and begin to pry outward (I opened my passenger door so I wouldn’t have to pry against any glass) the trim piece is on there like a mofo so don’t expect it to come off in one piece. It’s easier and probably safer to go up about .5 inch and snap the trim bit by bit. My old trim looked like this when I was done removing.

Once removed, you’re stuck with an adhesive strip from hell remaining on the window. I did not have any goo-gone and I doubt it would have helped if I had. I took a regular rectangular razor blade (new/sharp) and removed the strip. Whether you go vertically or horizontal to remove the glue, the principle is simple. Press the blade flat and even with the end of the strip, apply slight pressure to give the blade and angle, and proceed to strip it. Go in small portions, you don’t want to get carried away and scratch your window/cut your rubber window liner etc.

Halfway thru:

You will see a rubber flange, it’s supposed to be at a 45 degree angle etc., and at the base you will see a rounded area. This is where the replacement will sit flush and squared up on prior to install. Make sure you align properly before applying because you will not be able to reposition this piece. If you do, please see Step 1.

When you are applying, the correct direction is with the white pull tab for the adhesive strip to be facing up. Once set, remove strip and align to replace.

Final product:

Last edited by xxp0loxx; 04-22-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Hasek9339
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Montego Blue

I wish someone would post this DIY for an E90!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

That isn't too difficult.. Thanks.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
j.shin130
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 335i

Where did you order your part from?
and what is the Left pillar product number??
Appreciate 0