E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

01-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #881
Clark Kent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Monaco, Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
It seemingly did fix the crank issue. I say seemingly because I only had the car in my possession for ~12 hours before I had to give it back to the shop for non-crank related issues (the version of the software they installed wasn't compatible with my model year, causing a number of problems in the communications interface / iDrive). I'm picking up the car later this afternoon and hopefully the software update they ran today still fixes the crank issue.

Somewhat related question: if they haven't replaced my fuel pump but have only reprogrammed my ECU (which is one of remedies specified as an option in the recall notice), am I still entitled to having my warranty extended 120,000 miles?
I got the car back for good. The long crank has been shortened but it's not as quick as normal (it takes 3-4 turns, 1-2 seconds). I'm gonna give it a couple weeks to see if it improves or worsens. I think I'm due for another service in 2500 miles so I'll likely take it up with them again at that time (if the issue persists/worsens).

Also, my SA confirmed that my HPFP warranty was extended (confirming what members of this forum had said).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #882
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNH View Post
So I'm kind of confused about something.

According to what I've read here in the forums, the recall covers some VINs or some VIN ranges. However, the general consensus based upon the HPFP replacements that have been done is that BMW still isn't sure what's causing the failures, etc.

So if in fact the recall covers only certain VINs, that would lead me to believe that BMW knows which fuel pumps (presumably by part number) are failing. Am I correct?
I have been asking that very question for some time now. How can they determine that only certain cars are affected by the "recall" when they do not seem to be able to fix the problem. And if they knew it wasa only a certain group of cars then why extend the warranty on the fuel pump for all cars? Could be that they are just doing the recall to get the media and less informed owners off their backs and it really is not a recall in the true sense. Just them reshuffling some parts arpound to look like they are doing something.
If they can narrow it down to a group of cars then they would have to know what the problem was and what is specifically causing it to be able to select only certain cars for the service. Besides that, there are many cars having pump failures that are outside of the selected group so it doesn tlook like the criteria they are using is accurate. I do not think they know the cause or have a true solution. But this is just theory, so who knows.
      01-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #883
gregarious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Driving down highway at steady speed. Light load. Yellow half engine light comes on and experienced reduced power. Cured after restart. Warranty expires in 3 days. Going in tomorrow for possible new HPFP. This is typically not my luck so now I am really worried.

UPDATE: SA reports my car isn't part of the HPFP recall. The engine light had something to do with the vanos that gave a few error codes and that was somehow cured with a software upgrade. It doesn't make any sense. It was fine for years and it now suddenly needed new software to cure the problem? Why do I feel like my problems with this are just starting?

e90 - 335i - Prem - Sport - Cold - 6mt - Jet Black - Black Leather - Al Trim

Last edited by gregarious; 01-28-2011 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #884
hungryoso
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can BMW deny you a HPFP if it breaks if they see a chip on your car, although there is a recall on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #885
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryoso View Post
Can BMW deny you a HPFP if it breaks if they see a chip on your car, although there is a recall on it?
Of course, and they would probably try to do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #886
Quisp
United_States
Rep

TrackRat, have you treid to view a bulletin lately? Seems they dont work anymore. Wonder if that is intentional.
      01-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #887
E90PostUser
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

gregarious, when I had the symptoms of long crank, they did a software update. Was fine for 3 months, before symptoms were back, this time along with rough idling and check engine light (luckily no limp mode). They replaced the HPFP this time (2 weeks back).

Hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #888
F1 Fanatikko
REGISTERED
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sparkling Graphite e90

Well after 36,000 miles on my 2008 the 1/2 engine light came on today driving home from work, loss of power, I thought the car was gonna die on me, but made it home ok...Call BMW right away and told them what just happen. They told me that it sounded like HPFP related problem, its going in for a new fuel pump this monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #889
Clark Kent
Private
United_States
Rep

Despite getting my HPFP issues "fixed" last week, I continue to have problems that I think are related to the HPFP. Question here on diagnosing the symptoms:

They said my build date (Oct. 2008 build of 2009 335i) doesn't qualify for a HPFP replacement so they just reprogrammed the car. Yesterday, less than a week after I got the car back, the long crank was back (although not as bad as before) and, during one driving session, my car had practically no power. When I pressed the accelerator all the way (floored it), the car barely picked up and definitely didn't downshift. Even when I manually downshifted, the power simply wasn't there. After parking the car for a few hours and then driving again, the car seemed to be back to normal (though the crank is still longer than usual).

Is this what people are referring to as "limp mode"? Have others had a similar symptom on their N54s? Just want to be as prepared as possible when I take it back to the dealer since, in their minds, they've "fixed" the issue already.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #890
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Clark, sounds like you went limp mode. What type of driving were you doing when it happened? Pulling away from a stop, cruising at a steady pace on the road or highway, accelerating to pass someone, normal in town driving....?
      02-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #891
Clark Kent
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Clark, sounds like you went limp mode. What type of driving were you doing when it happened? Pulling away from a stop, cruising at a steady pace on the road or highway, accelerating to pass someone, normal in town driving....?
I was on a highway, in fairly busy traffic so I was trying to accelerate pretty often as traffic picked up and slowed down again. Turns out the low power was only during that one drive. After I parked and re-started the car 3 hours later (and since then), performance has been normal. I have an appointment for service tomorrow anyway so I'm gonna take it in and hope that they can figure something out.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #892
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryoso View Post
They can try, but it would be tough since there is a recall on it. Known issue versus something the chip caused. On anything else they have a good shot but not on a recalled part because it was not caused by the chip.
      02-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #893
MentalJelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

I purchased an '08 e92 335xi almost two weeks ago. Having been lurking on the forum prior to buying her, I was aware of the HPFP issue, and prepared to have to take it in for the issue. Well a week into owning it, my wife was driving and it cut out on her as she pulled into traffic - obviously not the safest time for a cut of power. Long story short, I called the dealer and scheduled a service for them to look into the problem/recall on the HPFP. My SA advised they would need to do the software flash first then if the problem came back replace the pump and as a last resort replace the injectors.

So I have had it flashed, and it seems to be driving normal aside from the lag between first and second (It is an auto). Knowing the issue hasn't been 'fixed' I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and when it does will take it in.

My question for all of you is in regards to the lessening of power after the flash. Having not experienced the full thrill of driving the 335 motor more than a week and what the power should feel like, how dramatic is the power decrease some have reported - not referring to limp mode? Is there some way of knowing if the flash did decrease the normal driving HP?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #894
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Butt Dyno...but they arent always accurate.
To be absolutely sure and know what was lost you would really have to do a before and after dyno. It sounds like a waste of money but I was getting the car worked on and had it flashed back to stock in between Dinan reflashes. I took it in and got a baseline dyno done. That gave me a reference point for any future work or flashes. I highly recommend doing this to everyone. Getting a baseline can be very helpful down the road and if something happens or something is done with the car and you have some concerns about loss of power you will be able to verify and, if necessary, prove it.
It can also show help in situations where you think the power is gradually fading. There are some who say that as a fuel pump goes it is designed to slowly lessen the power in order to reduce the stress on the pump, kind of a better to fade away than fail all at once idea. This would be another way to find out if that is happpening on a car.
A dyno sheet can be a very handy thing to have in your files
      02-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #895
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalJelly View Post
I purchased an '08 e92 335xi almost two weeks ago. Having been lurking on the forum prior to buying her, I was aware of the HPFP issue, and prepared to have to take it in for the issue. Well a week into owning it, my wife was driving and it cut out on her as she pulled into traffic - obviously not the safest time for a cut of power. Long story short, I called the dealer and scheduled a service for them to look into the problem/recall on the HPFP. My SA advised they would need to do the software flash first then if the problem came back replace the pump and as a last resort replace the injectors.

So I have had it flashed, and it seems to be driving normal aside from the lag between first and second (It is an auto). Knowing the issue hasn't been 'fixed' I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and when it does will take it in.

My question for all of you is in regards to the lessening of power after the flash. Having not experienced the full thrill of driving the 335 motor more than a week and what the power should feel like, how dramatic is the power decrease some have reported - not referring to limp mode? Is there some way of knowing if the flash did decrease the normal driving HP?
find an open highway with no other cars around

going at a low speed, say 30km/h, you floor it (while in sport mode if you have auto)

if you start saying to yourself "holy shit!@#$%^&*", then you've got those 300hp under your hood
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #896
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
find an open highway with no other cars around

going at a low speed, say 30km/h, you floor it (while in sport mode if you have auto)

if you start saying to yourself "holy shit!@#$%^&*", then you've got those 300hp under your hood
I have been wanting to do this since I bought my 2008 335xi a few weeks ago, but I'm just waiting for the friggin glacier to thaw on the roads. LOL

Previous: 2008 E92 335xi Coupe
Previous: 2004 330xi Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #897
MentalJelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I did the roll-on test at around 35km/h. For the most part it hauls ass. Though, on one run, the tach went up to red line just as mashed the peddle to the floor. The car did not take off as I would have expected, but instead did a small lurch forward, and then took off as it shifted up a gear. It was really kind of odd.

Anyone else experienced this before?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #898
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalJelly View Post
So I did the roll-on test at around 35km/h. For the most part it hauls ass. Though, on one run, the tach went up to red line just as mashed the peddle to the floor. The car did not take off as I would have expected, but instead did a small lurch forward, and then took off as it shifted up a gear. It was really kind of odd.

Anyone else experienced this before?
Was the step in sport setting?

It could also be that the torque converter slipped for a sec with too much power going thru.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #899
MentalJelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor View Post
Was the step in sport setting?

It could also be that the torque converter slipped for a sec with too much power going thru.
Yes, I did have it in sport mode (DS).

Interesting thought on the torque converter slipping. This doesn't sound like a normal circumstance to me. Wouldn't the computers compensate for this? Anyone else have this result in their cars?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #900
Photosapiens
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

2008 e92 335i, 59000km and no HPFP issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #901
ohlone84
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I kind of thumbed through this post... Has anyone had and MAJOR issues after the Fuel pumps was replaced? Like the car burning to the ground? Ive searched the internet and found a few, but wanted to check ouy this site
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #902
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

335i HPFP

Had a question for the guys who had HPFP problems. Mine goes in tomorrow I was at the store came out started my car after about 5 seconds car started shaking with the idle all over the place. A few seconds later the half engine light reduced power light. I have an 10/2006 build date 335i sedan sport AT with 40,000 miles. I had just received the recall letter 2 weeks prior for the HPFP. My question is I've seen different part numbers for the HPFP which part number is the latest one? Any advice on what should changed along with it? Ive heard injectors, sparkplugs....etc

Thanks
Appreciate 0