E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rebuild time!

01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
ProEFI has HUGE plans for the N54 in 2013 -- A complete engine standalone (that'll smoke every tune currently offered) capable of seamlessly running Pump/E85 blends, in addition to a new intake manifold with port injection??
He is about to start the build, so it is best to stick with the proven tune rather than hope for the best and wait for someone's "HUGE plans" to realize. And when you look at ProEFI plans, they are not even huge. Pretty standard stuff. Old fashion PI. The best part of their plan is flex fuel sensor capability, but Procede has it working already...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

If I were you, I would look for real life experiences of how much torque the DCT / DKG can handle. It could become a bottleneck that you could probably address beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Are you using Stinger as Jammer as well? It cannot jam all the European guns.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
And when you look at ProEFI plans, they are not even huge.
We'll see what the HP numbers have to say when it gets released. I agree that it sucks to but a project on hold when you have a proven tune already.

I haven't really looked too deeply into it, but is how is the Vishnu Flex Fuel sensor even working with the DME? To my understand, the Vishnu Flash simply adjust some parameters with timing & fueling, while the piggy controls boost & meth. I don't see how the piggy would be able to adjust fueling (since it can't) when ethanol concentration changes (from straight pump gas to ethanol blends to straight E85)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
We'll see what the HP numbers have to say when it gets released. I agree that it sucks to but a project on hold when you have a proven tune already.

I haven't really looked too deeply into it, but is how is the Vishnu Flex Fuel sensor even working with the DME? To my understand, the Vishnu Flash simply adjust some parameters with timing & fueling, while the piggy controls boost & meth. I don't see how the piggy would be able to adjust fueling (since it can't) when ethanol concentration changes (from straight pump gas to ethanol blends to straight E85)
What do you mean piggy's cant control fuel? If that were the case they would all be running super lean with all the added boost.

The Vishnu Flex Fuel is a sensor. The sensor reads the effective Ethanol content, and in Vishnu's tune it will adjust the tune with a correction. So whether you run E10 or E85 it will know and adjust the tune accordingly. It takes all the guess work out of the tune if your effective E85 blend changes. This means no more measuring and no more retuning for every fill up.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Sorry, I couldnt tell if they were coated or just oxidized. They might be OK.

If you check out that swaintech website they have a lot of info. You'd be amazed on the stuff they can coat. Turbo's, manifolds, pistons, heads, you name it. Perhaps they can relay more info to you on expectations.

I know that is one of the things I would do if I had any stuff out and looking to maximize efficiency. The exact numbers and benefit I'm not sure but it's something to look into if you have the means.
Yeah I also got some info about this but no real numbers, makes it hard too do the effort/benefit calculation. But I will check with some locals here and do some research on the internet. I have one week before they will start with the turbo's installation.

@135Pat,

Yeah that payed for my JRZ suspension and Flex Fuel sensor ;-)
My M-Sport suspension was good, but I have advanced in driving skills and I also knew that in the area of improvement both the suspension and the brakes are the biggest winners after all the HP related stuff.

The JRZ kit is simply one off the best around and that together with their base location near my hometown convinced me. I'm pretty confident that I will be able to setup the car like I always wanted and which was not their with the M-Sport suspension altough I also had the M3 parts.

Next to that, the JRZ kit will allow me to define a track and a street config.. that is luxurious ;-)

@benzy,

To be honest, all tunes are more or less the same in terms of HP. To my opinion the Procede platform is quite complete and I have received great support of Vishnu in 99% of the times and in all cases a solution.

Like Jeff stated, my config has been based on Procede, in those days Shiv was making the market with an outperforming tune, and so it make sence to stick with that. I have no warranty hassle, the dealer is doing the build lol... the car will go eventually to be a fulltime track car.

I love plans by the way, but for my approach, it would require to be a proven solution, as I only add new stuff in the mix if it adds in comparison to my former setup. I also do not really get that wild of a secondary fuel system, to much hassle for my application. But never say never... ;-)

@Jippie Ensio,

Yep just for the looks, the M-Tech diffuser is the most ugly part of the complete e9X parts list... not great looking not functional...
So for 200 bucks I added this diffuser, to my knowledge there is no real working diffuser for the e9x, I even think that it is even not possible as the ground rear side of the car is quite open....
I'm would be very interested, because on the "autobahn" I senced multiple times rear lifting upon 250+km/h.... I think BMW has for downforce only the rear wing. On the M3 the side mirrors provide 5kg downforce each. :-(

RE OC -> With all respect to AR, this is not the best decision I could make, the ER is better, period. I hope to combination of Water radiator and AR OC will hold... but I'm worried that the DKG will require some serieus cooling and AR is unfortunatly not to be the best as I have noticed on my former car.
But furthermore AR is a company I would return back to, great business superb downpipes! (They seem to be able to survive heavy accidents ;-) )

RE DKG,

Yeah I was actualy working quite aggresive on a solution for the AT gearbox, that one I had in my former, because each non manual gearbox requires to be become stronger, a combination of hard and software adjustments.

I was already prototyping when I wrecked the car, it was a brand new AT...

The hard part is the software. Long story short, I know there are beefed up clutchpacks for the DKG, but they will ruin your box as the mechatronic is not adjusted for them. I'm focussing on getting an expert for the ASAM platform to find a solution for me.. difficult stuff, will require things like decryption and bootloader replacement (kinda like a Iphone Jailbreak).
ASAM is by the way the industry standard for gearbox automation more or less.
Till then, good oil and heat management.. and thumbsup... ridiciously expensive those DKG boxes...

@Benzy,

Re Fuel Flex,

Vishnu flashes additional tables into the DME as far as I understood. As the FlexFuel sensor measures the E85 level it will signal the Procede about the amount, the procede will signal the DME somehow to read the adjusted tables. But i'm sure there are others that can explain in it more detail.

I'm sure the ProEFI solution will do great, but simply to late... missing already 300Whp for some months... that hurts man, that hurts.... :-)
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
What do you mean piggy's cant control fuel? If that were the case they would all be running super lean with all the added boost.
They just maintain an AFR target & the OEM DME (completely independent) responds. It explains why a lot of the high HP piggys need "fueling flashes" to maintain an optimal ~12 AFR
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

OP, I'm running PROcede flex & Flash with 100% e85 and I highly recommend getting the booster pump also to keep from having LPFP issues down the road. Just my 2 cents. Even with stock turbos I was having LPFP codes shifting from 3rd to 4th. Just couldn't keep up with the volume demand after shift. Haven't had any issues sense I had it installed just prior to shift sector.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
rismo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
OP, I'm running PROcede flex & Flash with 100% e85 and I highly recommend getting the booster pump also to keep from having LPFP issues down the road. Just my 2 cents. Even with stock turbos I was having LPFP codes shifting from 3rd to 4th. Just couldn't keep up with the volume demand after shift. Haven't had any issues sense I had it installed just prior to shift sector.
It's on top of my list of "next things"... I heavily consider the pump, but it's on my nice to have list for now. First the must haves. I will see how it holds and from there I will plan next steps.

Is there a point where you determined that the LPFP could not longer hold up? I plan to run a 50-50 30-70 ron98/e85 mix.

But like with meth, I might get addicted to the e85...
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
rismo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Are you using Stinger as Jammer as well? It cannot jam all the European guns.
I used to have a jammer, it broke and I actually never get fines by laserguns. In most cases I get confronted with camera's. The stinger does a great job on that one.

Missing it big time. Where did you read by the way that the stinger does not jam all EU guns? As far as I know the most recent jammer from Stinger is one of the more sophisticated jammers, throwing back a gun specific error code.

I had once a situation with a cop in the middle of a highway, gunning me. Very amusing sight to see him looking confused to his gun after it throw an error due to my jammer uhm I mean garage door opener.
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
It's on top of my list of "next things"... I heavily consider the pump, but it's on my nice to have list for now. First the must haves. I will see how it holds and from there I will plan next steps.

Is there a point where you determined that the LPFP could not longer hold up? I plan to run a 50-50 30-70 ron98/e85 mix.

But like with meth, I might get addicted to the e85...
when I got my flex kit I started running 100% e85 and that's when the LPFP finally couldn't keep up. I didn't have any issues running 50/50, but I'm pushing 450hp and 500tq on 100% with Meth. So with the RB's I think you'll eventually run into the same issue, but probably sooner than I did because you'll be making more power with the RB's. For the most part the stock pumps will keep up with like a dyno pull, but it's when you're racing and you shift from 3rd to 4th at wot, then you'll get a LPFP code.

I think it won't take but one tank of e85 and you'll be hooked. I helped a buddy today with his n55. First time for him running 30% e85 & Meth, upping his boost and timing we ended up with almost 30 whp and 50 wtq delta. He was truly impressed and said it was like night and day. I plan on pushing him up to 50/50 and doing a few pulls on the COBB's Mustang Dyno just down the street from my house. I'm hoping to see him break 400whp. The only issue I see with the n55 is that boost drops off up top quick.

Well, wish you the best of luck with your project. Keep us posted as to how things are going and if you need anything just shoot me a note.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #34
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
when I got my flex kit I started running 100% e85 and that's when the LPFP finally couldn't keep up. I didn't have any issues running 50/50, but I'm pushing 450hp and 500tq on 100% with Meth.
Not to downplay your numbers, but 450 WHP & 500 WTQ running 100% E85 with Meth doesn't seem that impressive. Running just an E40 blend (stock turbos, NO meth) I was able to get 428 WHP/460 WTQ (so you're numbers seem within reach by just adding meth to my current setup). Maybe it's just me, but I'd expect a lot more gains with an additional 60% ethanol concentration to free up even more aggressive timing, in addition to the meth stacked on top (cooling your IATs).

***I understand that the stockers are probably you're biggest limiting factor at this point, but like I said, you're numbers are probably realistic on running straight C16
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #35
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to downplay your numbers, but 450 WHP & 500 WTQ running 100% E85 with Meth doesn't seem that impressive. Running just an E40 blend (stock turbos, NO meth) I was able to get 428 WHP/460 WTQ (so you're numbers seem within reach by just adding meth to my current setup). Maybe it's just me, but I'd expect a lot more gains with an additional 60% ethanol concentration to free up even more aggressive timing, in addition to the meth stacked on top (cooling your IATs).

***I understand that the stockers are probably you're biggest limiting factor at this point, but like I said, you're numbers are probably realistic on running straight C16
I'm sure a fresh set of turbo's wouldn't hurt, but as you know they just run out of steam. If they would make more I'm sure we would have seen the numbers, but as far as I know no one is making more on stock turbo's unless they are running juice. I'm also hitting 16+ deg advance. But then again, numbers are just numbers and every dyno I've been on reads a little different. It's fun for now, but I really can't wait to get a single turbo even if my transmission can't handle the power. I'll have to save my money for a level 10 trans upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #36
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
rismo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure a fresh set of turbo's wouldn't hurt, but as you know they just run out of steam. If they would make more I'm sure we would have seen the numbers, but as far as I know no one is making more on stock turbo's unless they are running juice. I'm also hitting 16+ deg advance. But then again, numbers are just numbers and every dyno I've been on reads a little different. It's fun for now, but I really can't wait to get a single turbo even if my transmission can't handle the power. I'll have to save my money for a level 10 trans upgrade.
It's a great next step to get to a ST or RB's... To my opinion the RB's provide a very good extra power bump and makes a great balance between power, handling and comfort.

Regarding, your potential AT issue, check my threads about AT's....I'm not going to discuss it in this thread as it is no part of my build. But to my opinion there is no real upgrade solution available yet. There is no software hack.
Anyhow, more pictures of a naked Coupe will be posted by tuesday ;-)
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #38
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rismo View Post
It's a great next step to get to a ST or RB's... To my opinion the RB's provide a very good extra power bump and makes a great balance between power, handling and comfort.

Regarding, your potential AT issue, check my threads about AT's....I'm not going to discuss it in this thread as it is no part of my build. But to my opinion there is no real upgrade solution available yet. There is no software hack.
Anyhow, more pictures of a naked Coupe will be posted by tuesday ;-)
Agree, it would be nice to have an extra 50~100 whp. But after hearing the difference in exhaust sound from the single, I'm really sold on the ST even if there are known issues to address regarding trans. I would be very happy with 600 whp and 500 wtq for short pulls, not like I'm wot every day. To have that kind of power just on demand would be amazing. Unlike HPF ST, FFTEC's ST is a very clean install, but that's just my opinion. Would be cool if someone would build a custom intake manifold. Add a little bling to the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
It's fun for now, but I really can't wait to get a single turbo even if my transmission can't handle the power. I'll have to save my money for a level 10 trans upgrade.
Auto Trans Problems lol

2013 is looking for a bright year with the N54:
  • Shiv seems to of just solved all the Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo issues
  • HPF hopefully will release their ST this year
  • Vargas Turbos Stage 3 Upgrade
  • ProEFI & their standalone

Just need to get all these products on an airfield & have the run each other
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #40
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Auto Trans Problems lol

2013 is looking for a bright year with the N54:
  • Shiv seems to of just solved all the Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo issues
  • HPF hopefully will release their ST this year
  • Vargas Turbos Stage 3 Upgrade
  • ProEFI & their standalone

Just need to get all these products on an airfield & have the run each other
Should be interesting. But, Shiv didn't solve the MT issue, Trevor TMO335TT finally figured out the issue with the dual mass. Credit where credit is due...

HPF ST... Well, I've seen that setup up close and personal. I'm not sold on their solution. The designer/fabricator they had doing the development work couldn't figure out how to make things work so they relocated the motor mount to make room which in my opinion is a hack job at best. Don't get me wrong, I like the guys over at HPF, and the person who was responsible for that blunder is no longer there. So hopefully they can recover from years of failed R&D and make something worth while.

Can't wait to see what Vargas brings to the table. I agree ST is not for everyone, but I wouldn't rule out ST once Vargas delivers. ST performance is amazing and Vargas will have the same issues to deal with as everyone else is seeing as this platform pushes 600+ whp.

ProEFI.... Now that some cool shit. Although I'll never be one of the few people who go this route, it will be interesting when someone breaks into the 800 whp. $$$$
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
ProEFI.... Now that some cool shit. Although I'll never be one of the few people who go this route, it will be interesting when someone breaks into the 800 whp. $$$$
The ProEFI is really gonna be most beneficial/useful when people start going REAL big HP projects, like the Vargas Stage 3s & Single Turbo Conversions (whether it's a kit or homemade project). You can't really justify a ~$2k+ EMS (and tuning) if you're going to stay on stock turbos or RBs (since all of the major tunes have illustrated they're capable of successfully tuning with this setup).

Like I said, BIG things on the horizon for the N54 in 2013. Def won't be surprised that we finally found out the limit of the stock internals by the end of this year if everything turns out to be "as advertised"
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
rismo
Captain
Rep

Some picture updates:

The original config.

Undressed..

Under the skirt, no diff, no shocks...

New brakes, new brake lines, EBC Yellow stuff pads. No springs...

All parts are on transport, diff towards Drexler, Shocks send to JRZ, DME and Rev 2.5 are currently flying first class by Fedex to Cali for a nice update from uncle Shiv. The 2.5 will be replaced with a rev3 so I can run both the speed delimiter as the Meth integration.

After the installation of the M3 suspension parts yesterday, the engineer continueed today with the installation of my RB turbo's and the DP's. Also all MTech bumper parts have been painted and ready to be installed.

Nice... :-)
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0