E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Not a great start to my Saturday afternoon

07-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Not a great start to my Saturday afternoon

All looked OK post fitting my DeCat pipes apart from the odd bit of resonance anda slightly more vocal wastegate rattle, I liked what I had re performance improvement.

Having covered 50 odd miles since install(all town type driving) all looked well. Took the car down the A1 at a steady 75mph for 7 miles yesterday afternoon went home and half an hour later had to pop down to town when I pulled off my drive within 300 yards I noticed smoke out rhe rear view mirror(only doing 20 odd MPH)so done th right thing turned around and got it recovered this morning to work. Smoke looked white/blue difficult to say really as I was keen to get the car back and shut down, but any smoke isn't really that healthy lets face it.

So a number of opinions re why this has happened spring to mind.

1/I'm aware that these cars drink oil, so thinking blocked breather or defective PCV. If this is the case then great happy with that and will purchase say a catch can for future and any other necessary equipment to solve the problem.

2/My theory. The old Cat's may of masked a defective turbo seal(not unheard of re failing)that since being replaced may of started to show their true colours if you follow me. The fact that over the past week or so I've noticed as stated the wastegate rattle a little bit more kind of steers me in the direction of possible turbo seal failure or something along these lines.

Rear other comments re injectors nad even water pump failure too re smoke... but as said smoke isn't good news whichever way you look at it. So until the tings pulled apart, here's hoping for a simple fix, like PCV and catch can(which knowing my luck it won't be)

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

damn! Sorry to hear about that

Do you have warranty?

If not... definitely time for a Big TUrbo Upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep Josh1aha I've got a warranty to the purchase value of the car fortunately one thing I've learnt with my years in the motor industry(13 odd years selling cars and a year and a bit as a service manager) is make sure to the best of your ability you're covered.

So until things re inspected its a waiting game praying its something straightforward as I was looking to taking the car on holiday next week
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Warranted on a tuned motor?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Is that like BMW warranty? 3rd party warranty? Could be tricky if your car has been modded?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I can hear 'The Bong of Expense"
      07-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Warranted on a tuned motor?
Apart from the pipes the cars completely standard at the moment. Personally what's done is done, I'll hopefully get the info regarding what's wrong today.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

One of your explanations matches exactly what happened to my RS4.
I fitted decatted and bigger downpipes and they were the final straw for the turbos and one blew an oil seal causing smoke.
I got them rebuilt by The Turbo Unit in Tamworth for a decent price and they came with a 12 month guarantee too.
Ben is really good and also able to upgrade/hybrid them at the same time.
If you give them a call, tell them dest sent you
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
Batts335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Put cat pipes back in and send to Bmw under warr
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well today the check revealed...... Well nothing.checked the coolant first thing this morning and she was spot on, checked the oil(well as best you can with this stupid level system we have on these modern cars)why oh why do we not have a dipstick, and that was fine too.

I've had the car running/driving for a good few hours today and nothing whatsoever is showing...puzzling to say the least the only codes hoeing refer to the lack of cats and abnormal values.

So for me it's a remap and tomorrow a Burger Motorsport catch can will be installed to help counter the issue re high oil consumption these cars suffer
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Superb quality springs to mind when you first look at this item. Having owned a couple of Cossie's many moons ago and reading up on the 335i's various issues this looks like a good long term buy.

Goes on tomorrow.

...Update... Since the brief smoke out the back on Saturday I haven't seen any more smoke the exhaust is only omitting vapour/condensation now which is holy different to what I saw the other day so can only think that since the pipes were removed(and I've looked on line for comments re post downpipe change) several people have reported smoke. But its as far as myself and a couple of others have seen all OK on the oil front however we've noticed when having a nose around that in the near future my rocker cover gaskets going to need replacing as that sweating slightly..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Good to hear your 'problem' has vanished. Good thing now it that mentally you may have allready accepted the fate of rebuilding/replacing turbos so when it does happen it won't be such a shock. Start saving for those hybrids! I wish I had done instead of just rebuilding.

So what do you think the smoke was then? Maybe a sticker/coating/bit of packiging in the new pipes burning off or something. Mine made a hell of a smell for the first 100 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #13
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

I had this problem with my 350z I fitted de cat pipes before a remap and then it made the car run too lean and I ended up scoring one of the pistons. Lost compression, burnt oil and chucked out smoke.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktyler View Post
Good to hear your 'problem' has vanished. Good thing now it that mentally you may have allready accepted the fate of rebuilding/replacing turbos so when it does happen it won't be such a shock. Start saving for those hybrids! I wish I had done instead of just rebuilding.

So what do you think the smoke was then? Maybe a sticker/coating/bit of packiging in the new pipes burning off or something. Mine made a hell of a smell for the first 100 miles.
i honestly don't know had another quick look this afternoon no oil deposits on the tailpipes the only residue/deposits on the rear pipes are pure condensation no nasty smells and all looks good

The pipes were purchased used from on here from another members who didn't report any issues as he was selling them due to selling his car as it was put back to standard. So no in a way once the catch can goes on it'll be a monitoring game I guess.
Appreciate 0