E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Griot's wax tough to remove

05-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Griot's wax tough to remove

Hi all,

So back during the holiday season Amazon.com had a special on the Griot Machine Polish & Wax Kit. Over the weekend I washed, clayed and polished the car. Griot's polish went on easy and I was able to use a MF towel to easily remove the polish. However, it was a totally a different story with Griot's wax. I only used 3 medium size drops on the pad and then I let it haze for a few minutes. When I tried to buff it out I really had to use a lot of pressure with my MF towel to get it out. Is this normal? It was around 70 degrees and the car was in the shade. I am thinking maybe it is Griot's wax? Any help would be appreciated as it is no fun straining to remove the wax.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Former USMC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Crimson Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC212NYC View Post
Hi all,

So back during the holiday season Amazon.com had a special on the Griot Machine Polish & Wax Kit. Over the weekend I washed, clayed and polished the car. Griot's polish went on easy and I was able to use a MF towel to easily remove the polish. However, it was a totally a different story with Griot's wax. I only used 3 medium size drops on the pad and then I let it haze for a few minutes. When I tried to buff it out I really had to use a lot of pressure with my MF towel to get it out. Is this normal? It was around 70 degrees and the car was in the shade. I am thinking maybe it is Griot's wax? Any help would be appreciated as it is no fun straining to remove the wax.

Thanks all
Eric212NYC,

Yes, you are absolutely correct - the Best of Show Wax is tough to remove. Allow me to provide a few suggestions.

1. Watch their videos - they are very helpful.
2. Use Griot's Garage Spray Wax. Spray the Spray Wax on the dried Best of Show Wax and wipe/buff to shine.
3. Use less Best of Show Wax.
4. Use a cotton towel to break the "crust" and then polish/buff/wipe with a microfiber towel. A word of caution! When using a cotton towel...remove the borders. Many times, the "cotton bath" towel has a hem. Many manufacturers use NYLON thread to sew the hem on the edges. NYLON thread scratches paint and clear coats. Remove hem/edges before using.
5. Switch to their Premium Carnauba Paster Wax - easy on and very easy to remove. I apply the the PCP Wax several times a year. Do the hood one week, the top the other, etc.

Enjoy - I've been using Griot's stuff for years - excellent quality. Griot's has a variety of products for your car, garage, etc.

I have no personal interest in the company - I just like their products.

Semper Fi
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
ERIC212NYC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Hi Former USMC,

Thank you for the advice on using the Griot's wax and the warning about using the the borders of a cotton towel. I will check out the videos again. Have a good one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #4
Micura
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 328i MT

I use a lot of best of show wax. Make sure you go over the area with the ref pad several times until it looks very thin. Allow to dry well. It is hard wax. You have to use some force but don't be picky. Just take off what you can an then come back with the spray wax to remove the rest. Your car will have a smooth, slippery finish for months.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

When you have an opportunity, pick up the spray on wax. I use it after every wash and the car is always glistening. Just used it today and I couldn't stop staring at my car under the sun.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Your supposed to let best of show sit for almost 2 hrs then remove, it is much easier when fully cured. In fact let it sit overnight then apply another coat directly on top and allow that to haze. Remove with the wax removal cloth and it will be a fantastic finish. Apply sparingly and burnish in almost completely. I love his products, always had good results. Watch Richards videos and he explains this all, good luck.

Last edited by iDriveanXi; 06-04-2014 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0