E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help identifying the culprit of this low frequency rattle

05-13-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
marrymemercedes
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E91, MB W201 x 2

Please help identifying the culprit of this low frequency rattle

Links to videos of the problem at the bottom.

I have a 2010 328xi E91 with the 6 speed manual and 175 000km. I get an intermittent low pitched rattle. I can't hear it coming from outside and is best heard within the cabin at lower speeds. It isn't there all the time, some drives it happens frequently but I may go two or three trips without hearing it. I can't identify anything that reliably brings it on, however I find it occurs more frequently after hitting a rougher patch of road.

I had been under the car a few months ago and the only things I could identify were a slightly worn driver side control arm and a failing front driveshaft. I had written the noise off (likely incorrectly) as the front driveshaft. The front driveshaft was replaced before the videos were taken with one from the junkyard with u-joints that were in good shape.

Any help with what and how to identify this rattle would be greatly appreciated!

1st clip
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EXpcX6uiCCA

2nd clip
Appreciate 0